Deadworld by J.N. Duncan

Info:Kensington (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*

Deadworld by J.N. Duncan

Save your money. All authors are entitled artistic license but the characters in this book are not authentic. The lead character is supposed to be an FBI agent, we all know from watching tv and reading books that being and FBI agent requires a good deal of training and that rigid procedures are ingrained. Professional FEMALE FBI agents do not make jokes about their breasts in public places let alone a field office. They do not call to announce a visit to a suspect. This author does have potential but needs to write about something they know. ( )
  sweetfe | Jun 6, 2018 |
I can't get into this book, so I'll have to dnf it. Sorry!
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Light reading in a heavy subject Vampires and ghosts with the FBI
  boneslv | Jul 25, 2015 |
Urban Fantasy. The Kobo copy I read could use a little more editing, however that proved more a minor distraction than actually painful. What was painful was the lack of a good underlying plan. The structure of the world-building feels a bit weak (like details are added for punch without thinking through the consequences) and the characterization feels like we threw in conflict for dramatic structure without fully grasping the implications of the dramatic elements we selected (major life trauma changes who we are - that isn't made clear in the presentation).

overall 50% ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 2, 2015 |
It was kind of a neat idea in a lot of ways, but it kept shooting itself in the foot. The world is ours in every respect except in a few details. The first is that Laurel, one of the two FBI agents is a psychic. That's OK. Her partner knows & respects her power, which is also OK, but no one else seems to know she's one. At least the sheriff in the beginning doesn't & no one else ever says she is. Kind of a big deal is made out of it. BUT then they find out some weird stuff about some people & all the agents, including the hard, tough boss FBI guy all seem to accept it without a problem. I'm not talking minor weird stuff, either. Major, I-don't-believe-in-this-crap, sort of stuff is accepted off stage, seemingly without a problem.

Details here, but it is a I had no impression that anyone in the FBI except for Jackie believed in Laurel's powers, but when confronted with a 144 year old vampire, they don't seem to have a problem with it. They even let the vamps babysit Jackie after Laurel dies & there is a worry that she'll commit suicide. That made absolutely NO sense!

All through the book there were a lot of revelations that I thought were cheap shots like a mysterious character who is about to tell his story & then we switch to another view point. When we pick him back up, he's finished with the story & we're slowly getting it as the book progresses. That didn't work for me at all. Worse, Laurel's sexuality is a big revelation now? Yet they're supposedly so close. Our vamps don't drink blood, but can hypnotize people so well, except when one does drink blood, the guy goes to the cops? And they believe him? And still let these vamps babysit an agent on the edge? And worse, they didn't even hold together logically.

Fantasy writers can & should stretch my imagination, but please have the courtesy to have a logic that works within the framework of the book. I kept stumbling over problems from the very beginning & tried to push through them. I made it to about page 250 of 440 & just couldn't take it any more. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
FBI agent Jackie Rutledge and her partner Laurel are called to the scene too early on a Monday morning to deal with the murder of a pre-teen boy. Nothing strange about that, until Laurel starts getting her woo-woo feelings and a verdict of exsanguination comes in. Great, a would-be vampire. Worse yet, it echoes a case states away, especially the dearth of clues at the scene. No blood, no footprints, like the body materialized right where it was discovered.

Laurel's ESP pings off the chart when one of the people of interest turns out to be Nick Anderson of Special Investigations, Inc. Jackie is always suspicious of altruism, and why would a good-looking millionaire with archaic manners be spending his time as PI, especially spending it on solving cases for people plagued by paranormal events? There has to be something in it for him and a little FBI research brings up more questions than it answers.

In Jackie Rutledge, J. N. Duncan has given us a very flawed heroine. She drinks hard, sleeps around (a lot) and has little trust for anyone but her long-suffering partner, Laurel. She also knows how to kick ass, but Duncan keeps that part of the story real. Jackie is no super-hero, just a woman damn good at her job whose methods of dealing with her life are fracturing that life around her. Add in a strong thread of humor and a nasty paranormal villain and DEADWORLD becomes one hell of a debut novel in what could be the most promising urban fantasy series to hit the shelves this year. Keep on writing Mr. Duncan. I'm damned sure not going to be the only fan waiting for book two.

added by jnduncan | editFreshfiction, Diana Trohldal (Mar 30, 2011)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0758255667, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:28 -0400)

"She's as tough as anything haunting Chicago's streets. But to deal with an inhuman power that won't stay buried, this FBI agent needs help that comes at an immortal price...Jackie Rutledge has seen her share of supernatural killers. But her latest murder case is what recurring nightmares are made of. Brutally exsanguinated human victims, vanishing-into-the-ether evidence, and a city on the edge of panic mean that she and her psychic partner, Laurel, are going to need more than just backup...So Jackie is fine with any help rugged P.I. Nick Anderson can give - even if that includes the impish ghost and sexy vampire who make up his team. But Nick is hiding secrets of his own. And Jackie's investigation has plunged them both into a vengeful game reaching back centuries - and up against a malevolent force hungry for more than just victory..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,809,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible