205857,211 (4.05)26

Ghost Ship by Sharon Lee (Author)

The authors wanting to advance the tale of Korval, and what happened after Plan B, seemed to have lost their way entirely with the Theo Waitley device. For that is all this character is. Here we have a construct of an intelligent ship (we've seen those before) that just isn't given enough detail to fit it. Where a complete story would have had us learn much more about the ship, we don't seem to care, or the authors don't know and so just didn't write that.

And they also don't seem to know what is going on with Korval after Plan B, for there are still troubles, terrible clan ending troubles, but this is continues unresolved. As several threads are told. Theo Waitley though may be the worst, for the authors well past their time as young, fresh out of college, adults, write Theo far too often with the viewpoint of a much older adult. Far too often, we don't get that sense of what a young person thinks they know, and it being wrong, for Theo and those she meets of the same age, always seem to get things right. Annoyingly so.

No Laid is far from what it was, though careful plotting and completing the whole story could have saved these partial books. ( )
  DWWilkin | Aug 31, 2015 |
This book could have been called Ghost Ship or Clan Korval Finally Settles into Surebleak. This could be read by either a fan of the series or someone trying it out for the first time since anything that is referring to events from previous books is nicely handled without the feeling of infodumping. Of course I'm left sitting here waiting for the next book to come out in the series. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Very rich. I definitely need to read it a couple more times before I catch...well, most of it. Liaden books tend to have new discoveries on the tenth reading and more. The story is a little choppy - jumping back and forth between viewpoints, sometimes after only a page or two. And the Vandar bit was interesting - some repeated scenes, some left out here that the chapbook's story covered, and some new bits. It was great to see Clarence again, Bechimo is fascinating and needs quite a few lessons in dealing with people, Uncle is less than complete in his knowledge (how odd!). We don't get to see much of Surebleak - not as much as in Skyblaze - but what we do see is interesting. And...the book ends at a somewhat odd point (though I can't see where else it could have stopped - there's at least a full book's worth of story before there's any sort of conclusion). It stops at a point where everything is solidly begun, and some time is necessary before the next set of results happen. Dragon Ship...next year! Hmmm. Reread - I found I didn't remember portions of it, to the point of thinking I hasn't finished the book. I did remember the final scene, though. Well. Still excellent, and now I have Dragon Ship - the eARC, at least. It flows nicely. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Dec 11, 2013 |
The sentient ship Bechimo wants its pilot - more, it wants to bond with its captain. Unfortunately, the pilot Theo Waitley doesn't seem inclined to come to him and take up her duty, so Bechimo continues to track her across the wide expanses between planets and solar systems. Theo, meanwhile, is coming to terms with the disappearance of her father, the Scholar Kilardi, and the reappearance of Daav yos'Phelium, Scout and Pilot and Korval.

For Korval, with Dragon and Tree newly settled on its new planet home, circumstances continue to be stressful. And the Department continues it's deadly stalking...

Lee and Miller have plotted a marvelously complex and many-threaded story that just keeps getting better. ( )
  SunnySD | Aug 20, 2012 |
The latest Liaden Universe novel explores what happens when a sentient spaceship hooks up with it’s captain for the first time. Great for fans of the series, not a good intro as it needs a lot of backstory to make sense. ( )
  roseread | Aug 31, 2011 |

Lee, SharonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, SteveAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, EileenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The galaxy was undergoing change.

Hoping to leave her misfit past behind her, ace starship pilot Theo Waitley, the daughter of a renowned scholar mother and an interstellar aristocrat father, discovers her heritage as the leader of a powerful Liaden clan before she is targeted by influential enemies.… (more)

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

26 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible