Fly Trap (Fly By Night) by Frances Hardinge

Fly Trap (Fly By Night) (edition 2012)

by Frances Hardinge

111None108,009 (4.42)10
Member:soraki
Title:Fly Trap (Fly By Night)
Authors:Frances Hardinge
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, intrigue, adventure, mystery, eighteenth century, 1700s

Fly Trap by Frances Hardinge

The City & the City by China Miéville (kgodey)
    kgodey: Has similar cities that are located in the same physical location.

I can't tell if this is the same book as Twilight Robbery, and which is British and which American, so I'm putting them both on my to-read list to keep track.
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
Another great one by Frances Hardinge. Not as wonderful as Well Wished, but still pretty darn wonderful. Beautifully written, and I love the idea of two towns living inside each other. The only bad thing I can say about it is that I wouldn't want to be Mosca or live her her world. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Jul 14, 2013 |
Opening: "'Read the paper for you, sir?' One small voice strove against the thunder of rain, the shuffle and huff of the passing mules, the damp flap of canvas as the last sodden stall holders gave up their fight against the dismal weather."

I have somewhat of an odd history with Frances Hardinge. If you asked me what I thought of her, I would wax very enthusiastic. And yet, every time I try to read one of her books, I start and stop and generally don't find it easy to get into. I tried to read The Lost Conspiracy twice before I actually succeeded, and you guys, I love that book so much, I can't even tell you.

Fly Trap wasn't quite that dramatic, but it did take me awhile to get through. Here we find Mosca Mye, Eponymous Clent, and, of course, Saracen, having left Mandelion and made their way through the world. Of course, madness and hijinks ensue, especially when they reach Toll, a city divided into Toll by Day and Toll by Night, and get caught up in a kidnapping plot, the fate of the Luck of Toll, and the Locksmiths.

One of the things I enjoyed about this book was the fact that Mosca hasn't stood still. She's not fighting the same battles as she was in Fly by Night. She's more brash in some ways, but in others she's more thoughtful and even altruistic. Her struggle to rid Toll of the Locksmiths and wind up all the separate parts of the crazy schemes she and Clent find themselves in is quite fascinating and convincing.

All in all, I think Hardinge is a great writer, able to both wax verbose and to say quite a bit in just a few words. I loved the way she and Mosca and Clent all play with language, delighting in the sheer joy of words, as well as shaping them to suit their needs.

Book source: public library
Book information: Harper Collins, 2011; 10 and up
Frances Hardinge, previously ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Mosca, her goose Saracen, and her employer Eponymous Clent are on the run again. They end up in the town of Toll, built around the only bridge over the River Langfeather and where people must pay a toll to get into the town and another to leave. Unfortunately, Mosca had stolen enough money to get them into the town but not enough to exit on the other side.

Once inside Toll, Mosca and Eponymous discover that the pretty cobble-stoned streets hide a rotten core. The town's residents are divided into day and night based on their names. Half the people are locked into their homes during the night, while the other half are locked up during the day, and the two groups never meet. Anyone caught breaking curfew is never seen again. The terrifying Guild of Locksmiths already control half the town and are close to seizing control of the other half.

Mosca and Eponymous, like most of the rest of the town's residents, scramble to come up with enough money to escape Toll, which is easier said than done. ( )
  soraki | Feb 26, 2013 |
Finding themselves in a town where everything is divided into day and night, and the wrong name can put you right into the dangerous nocturnal realms, orphan Mosca Mye and her friend Eponymous Clent once again find trouble ahead and trouble on their heels too. Little did I know that Twilight Robbery by Frances Hardinge is actually the second novel about the girl Mosca Mye, but rest assured it can easily be read as a stand alone novel.
Once again I need to put on my comparison hat and point out how much Hardinge's writing style reminds me of Terry Pratchett. Let's add the fact that the whole book has this subtle Discworld-esque feel to it. Not in a copycat kind of way, but the whole vibe of the city and its characters will certainly indulge fans of the former, me definitely being one of them.
The plot as such is an engrossing adventure full of twists and slightly foreseeable turns, but this fact didn't dull the enjoyment for me in the least. And oh the wonderfully quirky cast, including Saracen, the goose with an attitude! Is there such a thing as four-dimensional characters? If so, this is the place to find them.
While many adults hesitate to try out books aimed at a younger readership, the age of the main protagonist shouldn't keep you from giving it a try. I promise, you will not be disappointed.
In short: Yet another amazing novel by a marvelous wordsmith! ( )
  BLehner | Jun 30, 2012 |
To Martin, for being my partner in crime, fellow adventurer and one true love, and for being wiser than anybody has a right to be.
'Read the paper for you, sir?'

One small voice strove against the thunder of rain, the shuffle and hff of the passing mules, the damp flap of canvas as the last sodden stallholders gave up their fight against the dismal weather. Market day was coming apart like a biscuit in coffee, fragments of it running for cover with trays and baskets held over their heads.
Fly Trap (US), Twilight Robbery (UK)

Adventurous orphan Mosca Mye, her savage goose, Saracen, and their sometimes-loyal companion, Eponymous Clent, become embroiled in the intrigues of Toll, a town that changes entirely as day turns to night.
Mosca Mye and Eponymous Clent are in trouble again. Escaping disaster by the skin of their teeth, they find refuge in Toll, the strange gateway town where visitors may neither enter nor leave without paying a price. By day, the city is well-mannered and orderly; by night, it’s the haunt of rogues and villains. Wherever there’s a plot, there’s sure to be treachery, and wherever there’s treachery, there’s sure to be trouble – and where there’s trouble, Clent, Mosca and the web-footed apocalypse Saracen can’t be far behind. But as past deeds catch up with them and old enemies appear, it looks as if this time there’s no way out . . .

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible