Troubletwisters by Garth Nix

Troubletwisters

by Garth Nix, Sean Williams (Author)

260843,918 (3.28)1 / 11
Jack and Jaide are rambunctious twelve-year-old twins whose father is rarely home. Then one day he returns in a bolt of lightning, and their house is destroyed. The twins go to stay with their mysterious grandmother, who talks to her cats and can make them forget things with hot cocoa. They're not sure they can trust Grandma X--but it seems that an equally mysterious, far more frightening magical force is after them, and she may be their only ally.

Definitely the worst book Nix has ever written. I mean, it's fine, but it's nothing special. Ever single character needs more personality. I was annoyed that everyone kept the magical secrets from the twins' mom--even her husband keeps her in the dark! There's no real explanation for why, which makes me think the mom is kept ignorant of her family's skills and adventures simply because it's such an expected component of YA fantasy. Frustrating! And their adversary is called "The Evil"? That's the best they could come up with? I blame Nix's co-author, Sean Williams, who writes Star Wars tie-in novels. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
What a disappointment! So lacking in all the imagination and world building that made the Keys to the Kingdom series so wonderful. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Jul 25, 2015 |
A fast, easy read, entertaining enough. No meat to it, though. ( )
  dknippling | Dec 16, 2011 |
When their house mysteriously explodes and they are sent to live with an unknown relative named Grandma X, twelve-year-old twins Jaide and Jack Shield learn that they are troubletwisters, young Wardens just coming into their powers, who must protect humanity from The Evil trying to break into Earth's dimension.
1 vote prkcs | Sep 17, 2011 |
The worst book I've heard. Reads like a script for a B movie. The book deserves no stars but I find no fault with the narration. ( )
1 vote geraldinefm | Aug 2, 2011 |
Very simplistic. Nothing new here--including flat, stereotypical characters--which was disappointing from the author of Shade's Children and Sabriel (two of my top books). I might recommend it to kids who are desperate for another Harry Potter or Percy Jackson. ( )
1 vote zenobia158 | Aug 1, 2011 |
A great read for young lovers of fantasy. Action packed, strong characters. Suitable for Years 6+ I gather that it will be the first of a series.
  Sophira | Jul 6, 2011 |
Troubletwisters is the start of a new series by Garth Nix and Sean Williams. When the book opens up we meet Jaide and Jack Shield, 12 year old twins eagerly awaiting the arrival of their father for their birthday. He is late (as usual). We get several hints that something strange is going to happen and we aren’t disappointed. Shortly after their father arrives the house gets blown up. This forces the family to move in with Grandma X, who the twins have never met. Their dad wasn't able to come and shortly after arriving their mother has to leave for 3 days for work. Grandma X is a strange old lady who takes them around town looking at odd landmarks. Even more weird stuff begins to happen, being attacked by swarms of bugs is just the beginning. Something bad is after the twins and they don't know who to trust, or who to turn to.

I thought this was a very good read. Even though it is focused toward middle-school aged kids, I think it was written well enough that most adults who like fantasy will enjoy it as well. The story flowed well and it kept moving right along. I had a little trouble following some of the jumps in the decision making process of the twins a couple times and there is a lot of stuff left unexplained but it’s a lot of fun overall. ( )
  readafew | May 2, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible