The Death Gate Cycle: Serpent Mage by…

The Death Gate Cycle: Serpent Mage (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman (Author)

1,447None5,162 (3.8)6
Member:utbw42
Title:The Death Gate Cycle: Serpent Mage
Authors:Margaret Weis
Other authors:Tracy Hickman (Author)
Info:Spectra (1993), Edition: First Thus, Paperback, 464 pages
Tags:Fantasy

Serpent Mage by Margaret Weis (1992)

4 (4) adventure (5) American (4) Death Gate Cycle (130) deathgate (8) dragons (14) dwarves (4) ebook (5) epic (4) fantasy (366) fiction (87) hardcover (6) Hickman (5) high fantasy (6) magic (7) Margaret Weis (9) mmpb (5) novel (12) own (8) owned (5) paperback (10) read (30) science fiction (13) series (28) sff (15) to-read (9) tracy hickman (7) unread (5) Weis (10) Your library (6)

English (9)  Dutch (2)  All languages (11)
the fourth world. Alfred finds the remnants of his people, Haplo finds the Sartan responsible for the Sundering and both find that they are indeed not the highest powers. More dualism, but you really only see the side of evil. Depressing to see the downside and not the upside. Made me thankful I know there is One All Powerful God, not 2 coequal opposing forces duking it out. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
In the fourth book of the Deathgate series Alfred, Haplo (and Dog) travels to the fourth elemental plane, Chelestra the water-world. Besides the exciting plot and great characters we happen to know a lot more about one of the most original fantasy world. Looking forward the next book... ( )
  TheCrow2 | Apr 15, 2012 |
Well Serpent Mage managed to jump Weis and Hickman back on track after the slightly average performance of Fire Sea. Despite the lack of interaction between Alfred and Haplo, the development of both characters in this book really set the scene for an interesting conclusion coming up in a couple of books.In Serpent Mage both Haplo and Alfred land in Chelestra, the land of sea. Haplo meets the mensch and the sinister dragon-serpents, whilst Alfred unwittingly awakens the original Sartan from the Sundering. Both become pawns in the battle between the Sartan and the Patryn, a battle in which it seems no one was the innocent.I really enjoyed Haplo's story in this book, particularly his attitude to the mensch and his distress over the dog, whilst the hints of Alfred's true powers were leaked I steal feel that he really is being under utilised. ( )
  animeshon | Aug 23, 2010 |
I didn't feel drawn into this one at all, and found myself skipping large sections just to find out a bit more about Alfred, the Sartan and the dog, and leaving the rest. I didn't find the story as interesting as the first two I read, and just found myself hunting for information to explain the characters I had read about previously. ( )
  Flit | Feb 5, 2010 |
After a somewhat lacklustre third entry, Weis and Hickman play to their strengths in 'Serpent Mage'. All the requisites of high fantasy are included, with elves, dwarves and magic vs. science. These factors are cleverly blended with the strong Death Gate scenario, brimming with originality and ideas. The setting does not overshadow the plot, with less premable and backstory than previous entries - Haplo's journey is central to the action and mayhem. Good characterisation and clever use of narrative styles create an engaging story, utilising the Death Gate scenario to almost reinvent an old angle. At times the story seems a little forced, with some trite dialogue and clumsy foreboding, however overall Serpent Mage is a worthwhile and inventive read. ( )
  SonicQuack | Oct 13, 2009 |

Weis, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickman, Tracymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Do I dare disturb the universe? --T. S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
Dedicated to my new granddaughter, Natalie Briana Baldwin, and to her mother and father, David and Joyce. --Margaret Weis
Dedicated to Don and Jeri Allphin with love -- Tracy Raye Hickman
I visited my wrath upon Haplo this day.
Please distinguish between this Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman novel, Serpent Mage (Book 4 in the "Death Gate Cycle"), and the similarly titled novel, The Serpent Mage (Book 2 in the "Songs of Earth and Power" Series) by Greg Bear. Thank you.

After the four worlds Alfred has at last found  his people on Chelstra, the realm of sea. But his  travels have taught him to be cautious... and  Alfred soon realizes his caution is justified, even  among his own kind. The one person Alfred can trust  is, strangely, Haplo the Patryn. But Haplo's lord  has decreed all Sartan to be the enemy, and Haplo  dares not go against his lord. Now the companions  have arrived in a land where humans, elves, and  dwarves have learned to live in peace. Unaware of an  even greater threat to all the realms, it is  Sartan and Patryn who will disrupt this alliance of the  lesser races in their struggle to gain control of  all four worlds. Only Alfred and Haplo realize  that they have a much older -- and more powerful --  enemy than each other...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:58 -0400)

As Alfred and Haplo struggle with their consciences while bringing discord to the humans, elves, and dwarves on Chelestra, an even greater enemy is emerging.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,488,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible