Killed at the Whim of a Hat by Colin…

Killed at the Whim of a Hat (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Colin Cotterill

Member:AlaMich
Title:Killed at the Whim of a Hat
Authors:Colin Cotterill
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, mystery, Thailand, humor

Killed at the Whim of a Hat by Colin Cotterill (2011)

Very fun and funny! Good reader, too. I think it would be even better if I was more familiar with rural Thailand. My listening was a little disjointed as I was on vacation part of the time. I think it would be better if I was more consistent in my listening. I do love the family. It will be fun to see where the series goes. I look forward to reading more by Colin Cotterill. ( )
  njcur | Apr 22, 2014 |
Very enjoyable. ( )
  eckchick | Feb 6, 2014 |
What a great title for this,the first in a new series of crime novels featuring Jimm Juree. Set in Thailand,it tells of one of the oddest murderers I've ever come across. We also meet Jimm's strange and appealing family and her equally strange police contacts.
Like many other Cotterill readers I was dismayed that this latest book was not one in the Dr Siri series but not to worry,this is every bit as good. ( )
  devenish | May 12, 2013 |
While I am a fan of Colin Cotterill's Dr. Siri series, I couldn't get into this book. The characters, while quirky didn't ring true to me and the plot dragged. I did not get a good sense of the place or the people of the area. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
I would say closer to 3.75 stars.

I really really wanted to like this. And by the end I did, but the beginning was so...slow. It must be hard to start a new series with new characters. Hard to step into their minds and see what they see, after yrs of doing Dr. Siri mysteries. And I feel like by the end Cotterill did get inside his new characters. So I will read the next one. But this one wasn't the best he has ever written. ( )
  purlewe | Apr 1, 2013 |
Families is where our nation finds hope,
where wings take dream.

George W. Bush,
La Crosse, Wisconsin 18 October 2000
In loving memory of Joan
Old Mel hired one of Da's nephews--the slow-witted one with the dent in his forehead--to sink a well in his back acre.
Acknowledgements: And before I go, I have been asked by the officers of the Pak Nam police station to point out that there are absolutely no homosexuals, latent or practising, employed in that establishment. I hope that's perfectly clear.
"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a hat."

George W. Bush
Washington DC, 17 September 2004

The launch of a brand new series by the internationally bestselling, critically acclaimed author of The Coroner’s Lunch

With worldwide critical acclaim, Colin Cotterill is one of the most highly regarded “cult favorite” crime writers today. Now, with this new series, Cotterill is poised to break into the mainstream. Set in present day rural Thailand, Cotterill is as sharp and witty, yet more engaging and charming, than ever before.

Jimm Juree was a crime reporter for the Chiang Mai Daily Mail with a somewhat eccentric family—a mother who might be drifting mentally; a grandfather—a retired cop—who rarely talks; a younger brother obsessed with body-building, and a transgendered, former beauty pageant queen, former older brother. When Jimm is forced to follow her family to a rural village on the coast of Southern Thailand, she’s convinced her career—maybe her life—is over. So when a van containing the skeletal remains of two hippies, one of them wearing a hat, is inexplicably unearthed in a local farmer’s field, Jimm is thrilled. Shortly thereafter an abbot at a local Buddhist temple is viciously murdered, with the temple’s monk and nun the only suspects.

Suddenly Jimm’s new life becomes somewhat more promising—and a lot more deadly. And if Jimm is to make the most of this opportunity, and unravel the mysteries that underlie these inexplicable events, it will take luck, perseverance, and the help of her entire family.

One of Library Journal's Best Mystery Books of 2011

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:53 -0400)

Forced to relocate to rural Thailand with her eccentric family, crime reporter Jimm Juree fears that her career is over until the bodies of two hippies are discovered in a local farmer's field and a Buddhist abbot is murdered, a case that implicates a monk and a nun.… (more)

116 wanted3 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Killed at the Whim of a Hat by Colin Cotterill was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,969,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible