Authentic Mexican: Regional Cooking from the…

Authentic Mexican: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico

by Rick Bayless

The recipes are very detailed and include many notes on techniques and ingredients. The section on timing and advance preparation is extremely helpful for planning my cooking strategy; I wish every cookbook included such thoughtful notes. I also appreciate the many traditional and contemporary variations on each recipe provided, which enable the cook to try the dish multiple ways or easily substitute ingredients.

Rave recipe: Chunky Guacamole--this is the only guacamole recipe I make, and it is always a huge hit. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 19, 2012 |
My go-to book for basic Mexican for over ten years. I am fortunate enough to live two miles from a Mexican market, so I can get most of the chiles and other ingredients used in the recipes here. I guess Bayless is pretty famous now, what with a pretty famous customer or two, but believe the hype, this guy knows his stuff. ( )
  nog | Dec 13, 2010 |
One day early in our marriage my husband expressed the desire that I cook Mexican food now and again. I recoiled in disgust. That cheesy-beany glop that gives me a sick stomach every time? No way. No way indeed--he grew up in eastern Washington state where about 40% of the population is Mexican and, accordingly, Mexican food actually tastes like Mexican food, not the worst of franchise Tex-Mex pawned off on an ignorant northern populace. Dutiful wife that I was, I took myself to B&N and collected a handful of Mexican cookbooks. This first effort of Rick Bayless's, before he was a TV personality, was love at first sight. I was enchanted by this mysterious world of dried chiles, tomatillos, cactus paddles, piloncillo... I've made at least half of the recipes in here, maybe more, and all of the moles, which are truly worth the 6-8 hours of labor they've required. The price we charge visitors coming to see us in France now is a couple of packets of corn tortillas. I have come to love French food, but because of this (and another Bayless cookbook) I think Mexican is the greater cuisine. ( )
  SarahEHWilson | Dec 5, 2009 |
Very interesting read, haven't gotten a chance to try to many of the recipes yet. Does make one hungry though to read and there's a lot of interesting dishes that one doesn't normally see here in the States. Very dense as far as information and local practices, something I love. One of my favorite cookbooks I've read so far.

Serves as a nice counterpoint to the Mexican Everyday book as it has some of the basic sauces and the like that for speed and convenience he suggests just buying.

I read the first edition, I'm guessing at some point it's likely that I'll get the 20th anniversary version and it'll be interesting to see what differences there are. (note, bought this book since I originally reviewed it in Living Social. haven't had a chance to compare yet. Does have a nice photospread in the center in the Anniversary edition. Can't remember if that was in the original)

Only critical thing I suppose I could say is that I could see people being overwhelmed and wanting better illustrations. Some sections also seem comparatively small. ( )
  JonathanGorman | Oct 31, 2009 |
Very rare authentic mexican regional cooking from Mexico. Living in Mexico for the time been, I do appreciate those kind of books, very well done, and keeping with the respect of every mexican mothers here. A very nice well done work. ( )
  labelleaurore | Mar 5, 2008 |

Americans have at last discovered Mexico's passion for exciting food. We've fallen in love with the great Mexican combination of rich, earthy flavors and casual, festive dining. But we don't begin to imagine how sumptuous and varied the cooking of Mexico really is.

After ten years of loving exploration, Rick Bayless, together with his wife, Deann, gives us Authentic Mexican, the only complete and easy-to-use compendium of our southern neighbor's cooking.

This all-embracing cookbook offers the full range of dishes, from poultry meat, fish, rice, beans, and vegetables to eggs, snacks made of corn masa, tacos, turnovers, enchiladas and their relatives, tamales, and moles, ending with desserts, sweets, and beverages. There are irresistible finger foods such as Yucatecan marinated shrimp tacos and crispy cheese-filled masa turnovers; spicy corn chowder and chorizo sausage with melted cheese will start off a special dinner; you will find mole poblano, charcoal-grilled pork in red-chile adobo, and marinated fish steamed in banana leaves for those times when you want to celebrate; and exotic ice creams, caramel custards, and pies top off any meal. There's even a section devoted to refreshing coolers, rich chocolate drinks, and a variety of tequila-laced cocktails.

The master recipes feature all the pointers you'll need for re-creating genuine Mexican textures and flavors in a North American kitchen. Menu suggestions and timing and advance-preparation tips make these dishes perfectly convenient for today's working families. And traditional and contemporary variations accompany each recipe, allowing the cook to substitute and be creative.

Rick and Deann Bayless traveled over thirty-five thousand miles investigating the six distinct regions of Mexico and learning to prepare what they found. From town to town, recipe by recipe, they personally introduce you to Mexico's cooks, their kitchens, their markets, and their feasts.

More than one hundred illustrations carefully detail special cooking techniques as well as bring Mexico and its food to life. An introductory chapter shares Mexican culinary history and modern regional tastes and customs. And an illustrated glossary contains all that hard-to-find information about locating and working with authentic Mexican ingredients and cooking equipment.

If, like the rest of us, you have a growing love for Mexican food, the reliable recipes in this book and the caring, personal presentation by Rick and Deann Bayless will provide meal after meal of pure pleasure for your family and friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:36 -0400)

Collects recipes that show readers how to recreate the textures and flavors of Mexico's regional specialties in North American kitchens.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,809,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible