Halo: Cryptum: Book One of the Forerunner…

Halo: Cryptum: Book One of the Forerunner Saga

by Greg Bear

Halo Cryptum-The Forerunner Saga
Ethan Oglesby
Opinion-
My opinion of this book is that it was really good. I love the Halo series and this book would be good for other people that love the Halo series too. It was a really long book and the story had a lot of characters and places to keep track of. It took me awhile to read it, but the story was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it every day.
Summary-
This book is about a young rebellious forerunner named Bornstellar. Bornstellar is a manipular and still has yet to become an adult Forerunner. A great military leader by the name of Chakas met Bornstellar and helped him become an adult Forerunner. Bornstellar wants to become a lifeworker (great builder) like his father. The lifeworkers are the forerunners that built the Labyrinth and are the most paid. Bornstellar has much to learn before he can be like his father.
In the beginning of the story the didact tells use a little part of the story and what’s going to happen to Bornstellar. When Chakas and his friend were on a boat fishing a big Forerunner with orange and black glowing sphere comes out of the ocean and drops Bornstellar on the boat Chakas, with a weapon, runs to the starboard side of the ship and yells “WHO ARE YOU”. Bornstellar stands up and says, “I’m a friendly don’t shot me, I need your help.” Chakas looks confused because he knows that the Forerunners are the bad guys. Bornstellar makes a truce with Chakas and Chakas agrees to help him. They both go back to a ship and they go to the librarian to figure out what to do first. They decide that he would have to go to Erde-Tyrene, to grow in the Djamonkin Center. After that he would have to go to San’Shyuum to learn about how to not be at war with others. Then he would go to the Didact to learn how to be a lifeworker like his father. Once he had finished everything Bornstellar was still considered a young 2,000 year old forerunner but he was a life worker. At the end the Didact says to Bornstellar that he created him and that the answer is at hand.
  EthanO.B-4 | Mar 30, 2016 |
Greg Bear is a recognized science fiction author in his own right- recipient of the Hugo and Nebula awards-- and his style and prowess shine in the first installment of the Forerunner saga. From the single page prelude on the novel is fascinating, fast paced, incredibly different, and beautifully constructed. The slow unveiling of aspects of Forerunner society and the world at the time before the Halos were deployed is impeccably designed, and the combination of the Didact and Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting allows a ‘coming of age story’ narrator with much more breadth and depth of character. There are any number of incredible quotes, and both the first lines and last lines of the novel are designed to enthrall, entrance, entice any fan of the Halo franchise. I cannot recommend this novel enough to science fiction fans, even those who are not fans the Halo games.

The Didact, the Librarian, the Master Builder, the Captive, Mendicant Bias… so many threads woven together into something beautiful. Bear does not reveal everything, but maintains a story that does not feel like he is deliberately hiding things from the audience. The tale flows naturally and slowly constructs a world different from our own on almost every level and yet, as with Battlestar Galactica, somehow destined to tie in to our own. ( )
  Ailinel | May 2, 2015 |
Finished several months back. It is very different than most of the other books. The pacing is slower. The scope is larger. It follows the development of the Alien culture and gives some insight into who they are. Possibly my least favorite Halo book so far but I will probably read the next one to see how the story continues to develop. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
I have never read or played Halo before. If you are are in the same place as i am then this book is for you. It starts at the very beginning of the HALO saga, and tells the story of the Forerunners, the Flood, the rise and deevolution of man, and the HALO devices. I love big space opera's and this has the promise of a big one. The big space opera facet of the story is also its big weakness. The story seems to ramble amoung various subplots and there is not much action. Plus the narrative style the story is written in with references to past untold actions leaves the reader confused at times. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
Different from other Greg bear books I have read. Have to say I like those others better than this series but that said, I have just also finished te second in this series and the story has captured e none the less. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Feb 5, 2012 |

Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting is a young rebellious Forerunner who seeks out the marvelous artifacts left behind by the Precursors --long-vanished superbeings of unknowable power and intent -- an act that forces his father's hand and forever changes Bornstellar's destiny ... and the fate of the entire galaxy.… (more)

40 wanted2 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 6 books! | Top bar: Always visible