Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

Spindle's End (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Robin McKinley

Title:Spindle's End
Authors:Robin McKinley
Info:Ace (2002), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:fantasy sf, fairy tales, sleeping beauty, rose red

Spindle's End by Robin McKinley (2000)

Entwined by Heather Dixon (SunnySD)
    Beauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both works are adaptations of Sleeping Beauty.

What a lovely book. Robin McKinley's books are hit and miss for me, but I really loved this one. I don't think I've read a Sleeping Beauty retelling before; that might be part of why I liked it so much. It was a little slow moving at times, and the magic didn't always make sense, but still a lovely book. ( )
  AngelClaw | Sep 11, 2016 |
A fresh spin on a classic fairy tale. Spindle's End does nothing like I expected it to, and everything I kept wishing for it to do. While her first retelling, Beauty dazzled us with its classic charm and compelling storytelling, Spindle's End ups the stakes and the tale to new heights. McKinley does not fail to deliver the best of her most magical writing. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
There were parts about this book I liked. The way magic is portrayed is interesting and unique; and the remix of the fairy tale was good. But oh my goodness, the words!! There are so many of them!! Parts just go on and on and on . . . I found myself skipping over pages because it just got so tedious. Some people might like the style, and McKinley is a great storyteller, so I wouldn't say NOT to give the book a try. (I've read another book by her that I liked, and I plan on reading more by her.) You get an idea of the way the prose just kind of goes of on superfluous and elaborate tangents right away so if you're not into it within the first 20-30 pages you can put it down and walk away. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
On and on and on with the description of the piddling details of the rules of magic (but, ironically, I still have questions about them). Not much actual plot until the last, erm, 1/4 (less?) of the book. And the characters were more trope, more iconographic, than real. But at least spiders are good, not creepy, so maybe I should give it an extra star for that bit of scientific accuracy and originality? Nah. We're going with 2.5 stars and done. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A retelling of Sleeping Beauty. I really liked the main characters, and the author twists the end nicely. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Robin McKinleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Craig, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Lodge, my Woodwold and to the other Dickinsons who love it too.
The magic in that country was so thick and tenacious that it settled over the land like chalk-dust and over floors and shelves like slightly sticky plaster-dust.
Small spider weave on a silver sleeve,
Oh, weave your grey web nearer.
From a golden crown let your silk hang down,
For lost, lost, lost is the wearer.
Magic can't do everything.

The princess has been missing since she was a baby. And Rosie, an ordinary girl, is growing up in an unremarkable little village far away from the royal city.

Unremarkable, that is, in a land where magic is so common that it settles over everything like dust. But a fairy curse is the kind of magic that nobody wants, beacuse it always comes true. And Rosie cannot stay ordinary for ever...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441008658, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned fantasy writer Robin McKinley, author of the lush "Beauty and the Beast" retellings Beauty and Rose Daughter, has produced another re-mastered fairy tale, this time about the dreamy Sleeping Beauty. Much like in the original story, the infant princess, here named Rosie, is cursed by an evil fairy to die on her 21st birthday by pricking her finger on a spindle. That same day, Rosie is whisked away into hiding by a peasant fairy who raises her and conceals her royal identity. From that point on, McKinley's plot and characterization become wildly inventive. She imagines Rosie growing up into a strapping young woman who despises her golden hair, prefers leather breeches to ball gowns, and can communicate with animals. And on that fateful birthday, with no help from a prince, Rosie saves herself and her entire sleeping village from destruction, although she pays a realistic price. In a final master stroke, McKinley cleverly takes creative license when the spell-breaking kiss (made famous in "Sleeping Beauty") comes from a surprising source and is bestowed upon the character least expected.

Although the entire novel is well written, McKinley's characterization of Rosie's animal friends is exceptionally fine. Observations such as "...foxes generally wanted to talk about butterflies and grasses and weather for a long time while they sized you up," will spark reader's imaginations. It won't be hard to persuade readers of any age to become lost in this marvelous tale; the difficult part will be convincing them to come back from McKinley's country, where "the magic... was so thick and tenacious that it settled over the land like chalk dust...." Highly recommended. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

The infant princess Briar Rose is cursed on her name day by Pernicia, an evil fairy, and then whisked away by a young fairy to be raised in a remote part of a magical country, unaware of her real identity and hidden from Pernicia's vengeful powers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,789,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible