Shine by Lauren Myracle

Shine (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Lauren Myracle

Member:mrinkerya
Title:Shine
Authors:Lauren Myracle
Info:Amulet Books (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 376 pages
Tags:friendship, hate crimes, homophobia, LGBT, mystery

Shine by Lauren Myracle (2011)

When her best friend, Patrick falls victim to a hate crime, Cat isn't content to sit back and let their small town sheriff handle the investigation (what little there seems to be), instead, she's going to find the perpetrator.

While the police are sure it's an outsider, someone outside of their tiny town of Black Creek, North Carolina, Cat thinks someone they know did it - and she's determined to find out who.

With Patrick in a coma, Cat will talk to friends she hasn't spoken to in years, eavesdrop on everyone she can and, inadvertently, put her self in danger as she tries to find out who beat her friend and left him for dead outside the gas station.

Shine is a fantastic boo that addresses a topic that is much, much to seldom addressed in fiction, much less this well. Myracle manages to write a novel not only about bullying (in its almost severest, cruelest form) but also about homophobia and yet neither topic is forced or done in a way that the book feels like a PSA or that it's pushing an agenda of any kind.

The characters are all complex, richly developed and ones that near any reader would be thrilled to read a novel about even if the main plot point of this novel were completely different. If this were just a novel about Cat and her hometown, about her summer, it would still be good if only for the characters and their complexities.

But it's not just that. It's also a rich story about the interaction between the characters, their flaws, the secrets we all have, the darkness and the quest to to be better and how that all manifests itself.

All of this is mixed with the bits of charm of Cat's Southern upbringing, her aunt's view's on a meal, her garden and the way people from the different towns see each other. Everything, somehow, all pulled into a whodunit of a mystery, too.

Shine is a novel masterfully written about incredibly relevant topics that will leave you wanting to make sure you're not only letting your light shine, but sure other's are able to lets their shine as well.
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
RGG: Yes it's based on the Matthew Shepard hate crime, and yes there is a graphic description of the protagonist being sexually molested by her older brother's friend, but the story is more about small town poverty leading to substance abuse and despair revealed through the solving of the mystery of who committed the hate crime. And the explicitness of the crimes seems appropriately depicted and not sensationalized. Reading Interest: YA.
  rgruberhighschool | Mar 28, 2015 |
  rgruberexcel | Mar 3, 2015 |
Kirkus Reviews (April 1, 2011); Booklist (February 1, 2012)
  stonini | Jul 13, 2014 |
Even though I despised TTYL, I read Shine because of this situation: http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2011/10/show-not-just-tell-your-support-for....

It was better than I'd expected, though still not my cup of tea. ( )
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
This book was - how can I be objective? A miracle. A masterpiece. It got under my skin and dug tunnels into my heart, flooding me with empathy for everyone in this book... I loved the heroine. I loved how she dug her way out of her own pain and saved herself while saving Patrick. I loved that she was naive, and frightened, and emotional, but willing to ask the hard questions and learn the difficult answers anyway. I loved that she doesn't just come out, solve the crime, and retreat back to her world of books - during her investigations, she works to rebuild a lot of burnt bridges, even if it means accepting the flaws in other people....
I put this book down with an ache for a beautiful novel, now finished, knowing I would have read something else, something that would inevitably be different. But one joy remained - the opportunity to write a review of this profound, emotional, heartbreaking, time-devouring novel, and get you all to read it.
A+

"You are the light of this world." - Matthew 5:14
To Sarah Mlynowski and Emily Lockhart: Your love is so bright, I have to wear shades.
Bloody Sunday: Teen Brutally Attacked. Stunned residents of Black Creek, North Carolina, pray for seventeen-year-old Patrick Truman, beaten and left for dead outside the convenience store where he works.

When her best friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover the culprits in her small North Carolina town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,293,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible