True Love: A Practice for Awakening the…

True Love: A Practice for Awakening the Heart

by Thich Nhat Hanh

English (5)  German (1)  All languages (6)
A small guide to accepting and improving our lives through "mindfulness." We need to become more consciously aware of our thoughts which will positively affect our actions and relationships. We also need to "stop fighting" pain and suffering but allow our good thoughts to communicate and tame the "bad."

Reading True Love is soothing and makes the reader want to slow down and try some of these techniques. Can't hurt! ( )
  Bookish59 | Jan 21, 2013 |
Another great, really easy read by Thich Nhat Hanh. Simple, peaceful relationship advice that focuses on the need for communication in order to ensure mutual understanding and peace in everyday life. ( )
  leahdawn | Jun 5, 2010 |
Absolutely beautiful and with the potential to make all the difference in relationships of every type. I have been reading, pondering, and reviewing this book slowly for the past year a page or two at a time. lovely. ( )
  JuliePeterson | Dec 24, 2009 |
Read my review @ www.betweentheshelves.com
(Two future librarians dish about books, music, make-up and style)

Posted by d

My sister is a practicing Buddhist. As you may have already surmised, the only thing I practice is walking in really high heels. This has led to some interesting, sisterly conversations. For example, very recently she handed me a book, and simply said, “I think you need to find some inner peace.”

Usually, I get my inner peace through a grande White Mocha (skim milk, no whip) at Starbucks. In this case, I followed her suggestion, and opened her copy of True Love: A Practice for Awakening the Heart by Thich Nhat Hanh. (The author is a Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk who was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize by Martin Luther King Jr., so I think he knows what he is talking about.)

In very simple terms, the author is able to relay some very complicated concepts about the dynamics of love and of relationships. He explains the Buddhist components of love:
maitri, the ability to bring joy and happiness to the person you love;
karuna, the ability to ease the pain of another person;
mudita, true joy;
upesksha, equality or freedom.
Hanh explains how to “be there”, to “be present”, and to recognize the “presence of the other”. In so few pages, he talks through the dynamics of an argument, common mistakes couples make, and how to overcome pride to resolve what matters most. Hanh wants us all to achieve nirvana in our daily lives, to be love and project love.

For anyone who is in a relationship, I declare this a must-read. At only 102 small pages, I felt a true sense of clarity about the components and dynamics of love, of my place and responsibilities in my partnership. Do you actively participate in your relationship? Are you present? Hanh’s simple explanations asked deep questions and brought some profound realizations for me. The book establishes ways for you to identify yourself, for “oneness”, to connect your mind and body to achieve clarity. Hanh also identifies some very easy meditation strategies that were effective.

Most importantly, while this small book was so inspirational, reading it would mean nothing without some follow through. Hanh’s true intention is for you and I to practice mindfulness. He puts it best, “We must bring about a revolution in our way of living our everyday lives, because our happiness, our lives, are within ourselves.”

Feeling my oneness was a great start to my day. Thanks sissah! I love you!

Happy reading!
xoxo
~d ( )
1 vote BetweentheShelvesBlg | Apr 9, 2009 |
This book was originally published in France under the title "Vivre en Pleine Conscience", or "To Live in Full Awareness" (or "Full Mindfulness" or "Full Consciousness"). I think that title serves the book better, as the practice of "True Love" is to bring "Full Awareness" to our most intimate relationships. This is a "Practice for Awakening the Heart", as the English subtitle suggests, and it is powerful. ( )
1 vote bodhisattva | Sep 10, 2008 |

In this little treasure, Thich Nhat Hanh offers a Buddhist view of love along with techniques for manifesting it in our daily lives. In his characteristically direct, simple, and compassionate style, he explores the four key aspects of love as described in the Buddhist tradition: loving-kindness, compassion, joy, and freedom. In order to love in a real way, Thich Nhat Hanh explains, we need to learn how to be fully present in our lives. In TRUE LOVE he offers readers the technique of conscious breathing as a method for synchronizing the mind and body to establish the conditions of love, and a mantra practice for generating and sustaining love.… (more)

131 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible