Castle Waiting (Vol. 2) by Linda Medley

Castle Waiting (Vol. 2) (edition 2010)

by Linda Medley

Member:malinablue
Title:Castle Waiting (Vol. 2)
Authors:Linda Medley
Info:Fantagraphics Books (2010), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:fairy tales and folklore, fairy tales retold, illustration, graphic novels, fantagraphics, re-interpretations, retellings, fairy tales folklore and mythology, bedroom library

Castle Waiting, Volume II by Linda Medley

I was a little disappointed in this volume. Curiously, what made the first volume charming and unique (little to no conflict, detailed descriptions of everyday life, interesting backstories) made this volume annoying. I figured that if the series had been going on this long, there should be more of an overarching story rather than random bits and pieces scattered around the book for the reader to puzzle over. You get hints of conflict and mentions of war, but those matters still seem to have little relevance to most of the inhabitants of the castle. Also, like the last volume, this book ended very abruptly. If these comics are going to be bound together into larger volumes, there should be a rhyme and reason to the point at which the volume ends. I understand not resolving a larger story, but the smaller story arcs should at least wrap up.

That said, Medley's art is wonderful as always.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
More of the mystery of Lady Jain, now with hammerlines added.
  ritaer | May 29, 2016 |
I felt like it took forever for this book to come out. I read the first one years ago and I loved it and now that I've read the second one I love it even more. Jain and Pinder are still at the Castle and they are picking out a more permanent place for themselves. In this volume we get a lot of history about Jain and Henry. Two of Henry's family come to visit, from the dwarves that raised him, there are flashbacks for Jain and we get a little bit of how Simon's mother and father met and Dr. Fell's sad history. I love finding out how different characters relate to well known fairy tales and even seeing how some of them are running parallel. Meanwhile we also learn more about the castle itself and the hidden passages within. All while getting to watch the characters interact with each other which is often very funny. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
FIDDLESTICKS!
Please do not combine with Castle Waiting, Volume II: The Definitive Version.

"Unexpected visitors result in the discovery and exploration of a secret passageway, not to mention an epic bowling tournament. A quest for ladie's underpants, the identity of Pindar's father, the education of Simon, Rackham and Chess arguing about the 'manly arts,' and an escape-prone goat are just a few of the elements in this delightful new volume."--Amazon.com.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,109,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible