Dossier 64 by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Dossier 64 (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Member:funkturm1969
Title:Dossier 64
Authors:Jussi Adler-Olsen (Author)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Gelezen in 2013, Thrillers
Tags:Thriller, Denemarken

The Purity of Vengeance by Jussi Adler-Olsen (2010)

English (29)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (41)
Department Q of the Copenhagen Police Department is headed up by Carl Mørck, who is still stuck in the basement working cold case files with his two assistants: Assad and Rose. Mørck is a rough-around-the-edges investigator whose personality in part has resulted in his exile. Assad is still mysterious and funny. No one really knows where he lives and it seems that he may be residing at work. Rose's multiple personalities make her extremely difficult to work with.

Rose has just found them a new cold case to work on involving the disappearance of several people on the same day in 1987. The link between the missing persons appears to be Nete Hermansen, an elderly woman with a disturbing past. Between 1923 and 1961, a number of women in Denmark who were deemed genetically inferior were institutionalized on an island called Sprogø. There they were subjected to forced abortions and sterilizations. Also connected to the investigation is a politician named Curt Wad, a retired physician turned politician who is reminiscent of Joseph Mengele. He's the head of the Purity Party and now on the verge of becoming a major force in Danish politics. Nete blames six people for the awful things she suffered in her life. In 1987 she wrote a letter to each of the six with a promise to make them wealthy. During the course of the investigation the reader will find out why.

The best part of this series is the interaction between Carl and those around him, especially Assad. As in previous books in this series, we continue to explore Carl's personal life. And what a horror his personal life is. He's trying to keep from screwing up his relationship with Mona, his ex-therapist. His long-estranged wife finally wants a divorce, his loser stepson is still living with him, along with Hardy, Carl's paralyzed former partner, and lodger Morton (and now Morton's new boyfriend).

As always Jussi Adler-Olsen delivers a great original mystery and I've enjoyed each and every one of them. This one took a little longer to get into and refers to events that happened in the first book of the series. I would recommend anyone interested in this series start with the first one: The Keeper of Lost Causes.

Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
I received an ARC copy through Goodreads.
---
I would give it 3.75 stars.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first picked up this book. This is the first book of the series that I have read. It took a while for me to get into the full swing of things as each chapter jumped between the past and present events. I admit, I was skeptical as to the direction the two "separate" stories were leading me. The more I read, the more I got into the novel. I enjoyed reading the different perspectives of the various characters that played a hand in Nete, Curt and Carl's lives.

The twist ending was totally unexpected and shocking, which totally takes this novel in a whole different direction. The whole concept of revenge after decades does raise a lot of questions... is it really worthwhile and what are the consequences? Sure, Nete deserves justice for everything that has happened to her, however she herself isn't exactly blameless in a sense either. So is her form of justice justified? To me it depends how you interpret her account of events that lead to her hard teenage life.

The mysterious background of Assad and the framing of Carl from a cold case really has me intrigued and curious to see find out more about them in the next book.

Would like to see some further development of some secondary characters and insights into Curt, who I find somewhat fascinating and repulsive at the same time. Since Curt plays such an important in society and Nete's life, I want to know more about him.

Overall, an interesting read with decent amount of mystery behind it. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
In 1987, Nete Hermansen plans revenge on those who abused her—especially Curt Wad, a surgeon who was part of a movement to sterilize wayward girls in the 1950s.
More than twenty years later, Detective Carl Mørck already has plenty on his mind when he is presented with the case of a brothel owner, a woman named Rita, who went missing in the eighties: New evidence has emerged in the case that sent Carl to Department Q.

But when Carl’s assistants, Assad and Rose, learn that numerous other people disappeared around the same weekend as Rita, Carl takes notice. Sifting through the evidence, they inch closer to Curt Wad, who is still committed to his twisted beliefs, and whose treatment of Nete only hints at his capacity for evil. ( )
  cjordan916 | Jan 4, 2016 |
This will almost certainly be the last department Q I will read. The promise of something more than a plot driven page turner, on a downward trend since the first, has completely evaporated and we are now down to a mass market thriller, not what I look for in Scandinavian noir. 9 Oct 2015. ( )
  alanca | Oct 9, 2015 |
Danish detective, Carl Morck, heads the Department Q cold case squad, along with his ragtag squad with the mysterious Syrian Assad and whacky Rose. In thsir investigation, they learn of the systematic incarceration and forced sterilization of 'troubled' girls and women, fortunately since discontinued. Does this have anything to do with multiple disappearances in the late '80's? And how might an evil doctor, now heading the ethnically superior Purity Party, be connected? A good fast read. Adler-Olsen is really hitting his stride in this series. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Jul 12, 2015 |

Jussi Adler-Olsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aitken, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huttunen, Katriinasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malcolm, GraemeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Kor deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opgedragen aan mijn moeder en vader, Karen-Margrethe en Henry Olsen en aan mijn zussen Elsebeth, Marianne en Vippe.
Op een onvoorzichtig moment ging haar gevoel met haar op de loop.

Terwijl Rose graaft in de dossiers van prostituee Rita, moeten Carl Morck en zijn collega Assad een moordzaak aanpakken. Al snel komen verdachte aanwijzingen boven water die leiden naar een geïsoleerd eiland waar vroeger vrouwen van lichte zeden werden gedeporteerd.

International superstar Jussi Adler-Olsen, with more than fourteen million copies of his books sold worldwide, delivers his latest in the bestselling Department Q series, a perplexing cold case with sinister modern-day consequences. In 1987, Nete Hermansen plans revenge on those who abused her in her youth, including Curt Wad, a charismatic surgeon who was part of a movement to sterilize wayward girls in 1950s Denmark. More than twenty years later, Detective Carl already has plenty on his mind when he is presented with the case of a brothel owner, a woman named Rita, who went missing in the eighties. New evidence has emerged in the case that destroyed the lives of his two partners - the case that sent Carl to Department Q. But when Carl's assistants, Assad and Rose, learn that numerous other people disappeared around the same weekend as Rita, Carl takes notice. As they sift through the disappearances, they get closer and closer to Curt Wad, who is more determined than ever to see the vision of his youth take hold and whose brutal treatment of Nete and others like her is only one small part of his capacity for evil. --… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible