Dossier 64 by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Dossier 64 (edition 2012)

by Jussi Adler-Olsen (Author)

Member:funkturm1969
Title:Dossier 64
Authors:Jussi Adler-Olsen (Author)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Gelezen in 2013, Thrillers
Tags:Thriller, Denemarken

Guilt / The Purity Of Vengeance by Jussi Adler-Olsen

English (15)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (26)
I think this is his best book yet. I don't give five stars very often. ( )
  RitaAW | Jun 29, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jun 24, 2014 |
I love this series! I did find this one a bit different than the previous ones thus had a slow start but once I got into the plot it was great reading from then on. The difference here is that it isn't quite the same type of crime story/investigation. The reader knew what was going on as the narrative switched from the real-time events in the past of the crime being committed and the current events of the Carl's Q squad investigation. There's also a third narrative which goes even further back in history to the perpetrator's backstory. It isn't until quite close to the end that the reader is given a twist and a shock and we are finally surprised with something. While I do find the mystery of not knowing the perpetrator more exciting, I can also enjoy this type of presentation as well, as we watch how the police manage to track down the person we know who is hiding. I must say I also found the theme of this book, forced abortions and eugenics, highly thought-provoking. I am pro-life and with both of these issues no less prevalent in today's world than they were in the '50s was very well-pleased with how the subject was handled. The last book concentrated on Rose, giving us insight into her character. Now, this 4th book, concentrates on Hassad. He is such a mysterious character that we aren't exactly given any answers but we are shown more of him and his character allowing our thoughts and speculation to being that much closer to the truth. Originally, this was promoted as a four book series but with the ending of this book, it is obvious a sequel will be continuing the story and I would really hope we have many more yet to come! ( )
  ElizaJane | Apr 24, 2014 |
Jussi Adler-Olsen’s new Department Q mystery weaves together a dark episode in Denmark’s past with a tale of long-delayed revenge.
In 1985, Nete Rosen had put behind her the horrors of her childhood and youth that climaxed with her becoming a ward of the state and being forcibly sterilized. But an encounter with Curt Wad, the doctor who started the process that almost destroyed her, ruins the happiness she’d found and almost kills her. Two years later, physically recovered but still emotionally devastated, Nete returns to her maiden name of Hermansen and creates a list of seven names. They are the people most responsible for the crimes committed against her when she was a teenager.
In 2010, Detective Carl Morck and his assistants – Rose, who occasionally takes on one of her sisters’ personalities, and Assad, whose life is an enigma – are given the cold case of a brothel owner who disappeared in 1987. As they dig, they find a startling pattern of six disappearances at the same time that are somehow tied to Dr. Curt Wad.
While in his 90’s, Wad is still vital and is on the verge of launching his Right-wing Purity Party as a force in Danish politics. Beneath that cover, though, Wad has waged a lifelong campaign against those he considers inferiors, and controls a network of true believers who preform unnecessary abortions and sterilizations on immigrants or low-class women. Department Q deals with cold cases that require special handling, and no case fits that better than the 1987 disappearances. Carl, Rose and Assad learn that there are people who want to prevent the investigation by any means, including murdering the detectives.
Adler-Olson weaves together the stories of Carl’s investigation, Nete’s revenge, and her youth in the 1950s, telling the concurrently in a way that both increases the novel’s poignancy and horror. It draws you in and grabs your attention, and won’t let go even after you turn the final page.

Reviewed by David Ingram for Suspense Magazine ( )
1 vote David_Ingram | Mar 12, 2014 |
Carl Morck, Department Q novel. Carl, Assad, and Rose investigate a disappearances of several people on the same day 25 years prior, which had never been linked before. It seems to be connected to a politician of a far right-wing party, and a scheme for of nonconsensual, illegal abortions and sterilizations of women who are deemed inferior.
Typical of the series and quite enjoyable. ( )
1 vote BillPilgrim | Feb 10, 2014 |

Jussi Adler-Olsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aitken, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Kor deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opgedragen aan mijn moeder en vader, Karen-Margrethe en Henry Olsen en aan mijn zussen Elsebeth, Marianne en Vippe.
Op een onvoorzichtig moment ging haar gevoel met haar op de loop.

Terwijl Rose graaft in de dossiers van prostituee Rita, moeten Carl Morck en zijn collega Assad een moordzaak aanpakken. Al snel komen verdachte aanwijzingen boven water die leiden naar een geïsoleerd eiland waar vroeger vrouwen van lichte zeden werden gedeporteerd.

International superstar Jussi Adler-Olsen, with more than fourteen million copies of his books sold worldwide, delivers his latest in the bestselling Department Q series, a perplexing cold case with sinister modern-day consequences. In 1987, Nete Hermansen plans revenge on those who abused her in her youth, including Curt Wad, a charismatic surgeon who was part of a movement to sterilize wayward girls in 1950s Denmark. More than twenty years later, Detective Carl already has plenty on his mind when he is presented with the case of a brothel owner, a woman named Rita, who went missing in the eighties. New evidence has emerged in the case that destroyed the lives of his two partners - the case that sent Carl to Department Q. But when Carl's assistants, Assad and Rose, learn that numerous other people disappeared around the same weekend as Rita, Carl takes notice. As they sift through the disappearances, they get closer and closer to Curt Wad, who is more determined than ever to see the vision of his youth take hold and whose brutal treatment of Nete and others like her is only one small part of his capacity for evil. --… (more)

4 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible