Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews
Member:TheBooknerd
Title:Magic Dreams
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2012), Kindle Edition, 86 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013 (inactive), StrangeBedfellows (inactive), eBooks

Hexed by Ilona Andrews (Contributor)

Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews
Rating: 5

Love love loved this short story by Andrews. This is set in the Kate Daniel's world, but centered on the side characters Dali and Jim. Dali is a really quirky character, she's a vegetarian white tiger shifter who can't stand the taste of blood. When Dali comes home one night she discovers Jim, jaguar shifter and chief of The Pack's security, asleep on her bedroom floor. Everything about Jim screams "mate" to her, but he seems to only notice her when she's done something wrong. So finding him napping in her bedroom means something is wrong. Soon Dali finds herself racing to figure out what is plaguing Jim before its too late.

I've re-read this story several times since I bought this book. For being only about 70 pages long this is a pretty well detailed story. Several shifters have turned up missing and everything about their disappearance screams magic is the cause. Since Dali is the only shifter who's well-versed in magic, Jim seeks out her help. Dali was a refreshing narrator primarily because she doesn't rely on her physical fighting skills. Instead, she's forced to use her intelligence and magic abilities which is a nice contrast to Kate. My only complaint is that this wasn't a full length novel, but I'm excited to see if the rumors about Jim and Dali getting their own book next year are true. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ice Shards by Yasmine Galenorn
Rating: 2

This one really wasn't my cup of tea. I ended up skimming a lot of it. I don't even remember much about the plot except that Iris was accused of murdering her ex-lover and was stripped of her powers. A few centuries later she goes on a quest to confront her ex-lover, so that she can marry her new lover. The world here was really vague to me. It had a couple of interesting elements, but I just couldn't bring myself to get attached to any of the characters. I probably won't be picking up any of Galenorn's novels in the future.

Double Hexed by Allyson James
Rating: 3

This one is apart of James' Stormwalker series. Never read any of the books in this series, so this was a bit of an introduction. James' has a nice writing style, but the plot here was a little dull. It reminded me of the creative writing exercise where you trap a bunch of characters in a room and see how they react to each other. Its supposed to help you figure out relationship dynamics and such. In this story, James' traps her main characters in a hotel and puts them at each others throats. The heroine, Janet, struggles to figure out a way to break the curse detaining them amidst all the tension. I'll probably eventually pick up the first book in this series.

Blood Debt by Jeanne C. Stein
Rating: 2

Another one that didn't really capture my attention. Again, I don't remember much of the plot in this one. Anna is a vampire/bounty hunter who was hired by some witches to kill someone. That kill has come back to bite her on the ass though. Anna accidentally broke sanctuary and is now facing trial for the crime. The trail was interesting, but the development of a relationship here seemed really rushed. Also, I couldn't really get a feel for any of the characters in the story. This may be because this story is a part of series. Stein's writing style was nice and the world seemed interesting. I might pick up the first book in the Anna Strong series eventually. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
What I great collections of authors in this book. This book has a little bit of everything in here. Some of the Kate Daniels series, some for the otherworld series, some of the stormwalker series, and some vampire series as well. This was a great book! ( )
  Aly3636 | Jan 7, 2015 |
Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews - 5 stars (or I just like Dali).
Ice Shards by Yasmine Galenorn - 2 (I don't know much about this world, so that could be the reason for lower rating).
Double Hexed by Allyson James - 4 stars (even though I don't know the background story yet).
Blood Debt by Jeanne C. Stein - 2.5

Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
4 star rating for "Magic Dreams" - only one read so far. ( )
  CupcakeMom | Feb 12, 2014 |
my rating is just for Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews ( )
  nutelena | Sep 25, 2013 |

“Magic Dreams” by Ilona Andrews

“Ice Shards” by Yasmine Galenorn

“Double Hexed” by Allyson James

“Blood Debt” by Jeanne C. Stein

"Four of the bestselling names in romance and fantasy come together in this collection of thrilling novellas featuring powerful women who know how to handle a hex or two..."--P. [4] of cover.

134 wanted1 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,426,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible