Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Magic Dreams by the dread pirate Ilona…
Hauling away...
Pearls o' Wisdom:Ace (2012), Kindle Edition, 86 pages
Piles o' Booty:Yer cargo, Read in 2013, StrangeBedfellows, eBooks
How ye liked it:****
Pennons:Nought

Hexed by the scurvy dog Ilona Andrews (Contributor)

Nought
  1. Magic Slays by the scurvy dog Ilona Andrews (2011)
  2. Magic Strikes by the scurvy dog Ilona Andrews (2009)
  3. Magic Bites by the scurvy dog Ilona Andrews (2007)
  4. Dark and Stormy Knights by the scurvy dog P. N. Elrod (2010)
  5. Fair Game by the scurvy dog Patricia Briggs (2012)
  1. Under Her Skin by the scurvy dog Jeaniene Frost
  2. An Apple for the Creature by the scurvy dog Charlaine Harris (2012)
  3. Kiss of Snow by the scurvy dog Nalini Singh (2011)
  4. Unbound by the scurvy dog Kim Harrison (2009)
  5. Hex Appeal by the scurvy dog P. N. Elrod (2012)

Nought.

Hauling away...

Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews - 5 stars (or I just like Dali).
Ice Shards by Yasmine Galenorn - 2 (I don't know much about this world, so that could be the reason for lower rating).
Double Hexed by Allyson James - 4 stars (even though I don't know the background story yet).
Blood Debt by Jeanne C. Stein - 2.5

Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
4 star rating for "Magic Dreams" - only one read so far. ( )
  CupcakeMom | Feb 12, 2014 |
my rating is just for Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews ( )
  nutelena | Sep 25, 2013 |
5 stars for the Ilona Andrews story, I adore Jim and Dali! ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
As with our previous reviews of anthologies we’re going to take each story separately then look at the book as a whole.

Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews

I have read Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series and I loved it. So already a novella set in her excellent world was always going to go down well with me. This book follows Dali, the White Tiger shapeshifter and Jim, werejaguar and alphas of the cat shifters. After an outpost of, shifters is destroyed, Jim goes to investigate and is infected with a curse. Dali, as the pack’s only magical expert, sets out to undo the curse and face down the creature that has claimed him – despite her own doubts and having to enter dangerous places where White Tiger body parts are highly valued.

For someone who has read her books, this story is excellent. It takes 2 of the side characters – Dali and Jim – and expounds upon them. We get a lot more insight into Dali’s character – and she’s always been one of the more intriguing with her calligraphy based magical system, the frustrations of being a white tiger with all this supposed potential and never feeling she meets it – and being a vegetarian, half-blind tiger in the first place. I like Dali, always have – she’s strong, spunky in a “I will prove myself and I won’t be limited” kind of way, brave with doubts but determined to prove them wrong.

For someone who hasn’t read the book, I believe this will be extremely readable. By choosing 2 side characters, there’s no need to be acquainted with the series to get a handle on the back story. The world is complex, intricate and amazing but it is excellently portrayed, doled out in small doses with occasional moments of exposition that neither dragged nor overwhelmed and nothing was told that was unnecessary to this short story. We don’t have 6 books work of world building crammed into a novella.

When it comes to racial inclusion, it was also a great story – Dali is Indonesian and we see a number of different Asian cultures and characters, Jim is Black, in fact, I don’t think there was a White person in the story except as side characters. All in all, an excellent short story and if I weren’t already hooked on the world, I’d dive in.

Ice Shards by Yasmine Galenorn

Like Ilona Andrews, I read Yasmine Galenorn’s Sisters of the Moon/Otherworld series and enjoy it. This book follows Iris, the house sprite, delving into her past as a priestess and addressing some of her secrets. She was banished from the priesthood a long time ago when she was accused of killing her consort. Without her memory, she couldn’t tell if she were guilty or not, and even torture at the hands of the priestesses did not break her memory blocks. Her lover was turned into a hungry, evil shadow preying on the people of the Northlands. She is determined to track down the shadow and set him free – and in doing so, confront her possible guilt once and for all.

In this case, I’m glad I read the series because I think this book would have been hard without it. Iris is accompanied by Rozurial the incubus, Smokey the dragon, Camille the half-fae witch and Howl the Elemental Lord. Already that’s not only a lot of characters, but that’s a lot of character’s whose natures need explaining. Rozurial at least could easily have been dropped – and this could have easily been Iris on a solo quest with Howl as a guide. Worse, the book frequently references events and characters in the main storyline that just aren’t relevant and give more information than is necessary. As someone familiar with the books, I recognised them, but someone not so aware risks tripping up.

I am glad to see more of Iris in the story, especially since in the main series of books she’s a side character who is often called upon to help but not as a protagonist and the story itself is interesting. But it could have been tighter and, inclusionwise it was, again, completely lacking.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon

Scribbler's nameRoleType 'o authorWork?How farrr the crew's sailed
Andrews, IlonaContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galenorn, YasmineContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
James, AllysonContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stein, Jeanne C.Contributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, Reneeteller o tha talesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
Wha most mateys call it
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
Startin' out
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

No notes found; 'tis a mystery of the deep..

"Four of the bestselling names in romance and fantasy come together in this collection of thrilling novellas featuring powerful women who know how to handle a hex or two..."--P. [4] of cover.

Pillage Etomes Audio
188 wanted1 pay4 pay

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (3.76)

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,190 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible