Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Title:Sunshine
Authors:Robin McKinley
Info:Jove (2004), Paperback, 416 pages

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: Recommended if you're looking for another well-written vampire story, with complex and interesting characters.
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two books which both involve alternate histories where vampire and supernatural creatures have become everyday occurrences - and dangers - and how two women deal with the sudden appearance of a troubled supernatural creature in their lives. Both feature memorable protagonists, as well as fascinating alternate histories of the United States.… (more)
    Sunbolt by Intisar Khanani (Fiamme)
    Fiamme: Similar themes of unlikely alliances between human and non human.
    Midnight Predator by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (sylvatica)
    Written in Red by Anne Bishop (syntheticdecay)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (leahsimone)
    Daylight by Elizabeth Knox (GirlMisanthrope)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (leahsimone)
    Angelfall by Susan Ee (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (Anonymous user)
    Dead in Dixie by Charlaine Harris (overtheseatoskye)
    overtheseatoskye: McKinley's sensible heroine Sunshine, grounded as she is in the daily realities of baking and feeding people, reminds me very much of Sookie Stackhouse of Charlaine Harris' wonderful Southern Vampire series. Somehow the contrast between an earthy, pragmatic heroine and the otherworldly vampire love interest heightens the dramatic tension (and the hawtness).… (more)
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (overtheseatoskye)
    overtheseatoskye: If you felt a little let down by the coy ending of "Sunshine," pick up this fun, chick-lit-inflected vampire romp - the final scene, gratifyingly, doesn't leave things to your imagination.
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (goodiegoodie)

Liked the beginning - caught my interest.
Some reviewers have found it tiresome but I personally don't mind being told and shown time and time again that the protagonist is a baker, even though the point is hammered in in a not so subtle and quite frequent way. If the protagonist centers so much of her identity and self image on the fact, who am I to judge? (Plenty of people do it on even more absurd things after all.)
The problem I had with the book is that after a strong premise and more or less interesting description of the home life of the heroine, quite bizarrely the story goes off its rails and digresses irreparably - (especially after the special forces are introduced).
I had the impression that the author didn't really have a clear idea where the book was heading - maybe had beginning and ending and a few pivotal plot points figured out but meandered in the middle with no clear direction and filled the void with bland and shapeless stuffing, bloating the whole thing into a strange mutant creation.
Ripley's clone in Alien Resurrection comes to mind - "Kill me"- Ripley's Clone (and this book)
  vittithing | May 31, 2019 |
Baking and vampires.

miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Maybe I'm just not a UST (unresolved sexual tension) fan, but couldn't they just kissed already at the end of the book? They admitted they cared about each other and wanted to spend time together, but I'd hope for a little bit more resolution between them. Or at least a sequel!

That said, I wrote the rest of this yesterday and it still holds true:
I'm almost finished reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley, and I usually reserve judgment of books until I finish them, but unless she fails spectacularly I'm probably going to give it 4 or 5 stars out of five. There are a lot of bad vampire books out there, and this is not one of them. She's imaginative, she has a very colloquial style I enjoy, and even though her life is very similar to Sookie Stackhouse's, I never get bored with her "and today I worked and nothing else really happened" paragraphs. Also, she brings mystery and magic back to the genre -- things are disorienting and mysterious and non-straightforward in a way that magic should be. I definitely recommend this to my vampire-liking friends. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
2.5 stars

What I can only assume is a superb April Fools joke by the book gods, my first themed book for April Singles turned out to be an actual Non-series book (if you aren't as obsessed with my life as I am, usually during this theme I laugh, groan, and joke how all the books I pick for this turn out to be actually in a series). What is wrong with this you ask? There is no way on earth this should be a contained to one freaking book story.

Don't believe me? Imagine if you will, if Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning had been a standalone. Don't just shrug and move on, GO THERE. Because I have been to that bellow to the book gods place thanks to this book.

This reminded me a lot of Moning's series, incredible created universe, first person pov from heroine who is young and not aware of her own power, plethora of characters who could be good or evil, a dark mysterious intriguing dude, and a will they or won't they. Oh, and there's Mel. Who is Mel you ask? He's our heroine's boyfriend, who is sweet, sexy, and affable. I know there is more to his story because of the clues we are given but I'll never really know, because STANDALONE.

If this reminded me of Darkfever so much, why only 2.5 stars? It has the addictive reading quality but oh boy is our first person pov heroine into rambling. She goes off on tangents, which sometimes have observational little life nuggets but mostly make you want to skim. There's also a feeling of being dizzily just dropped into the world and I spent most the beginning trying to understand who and what story the author was telling.

If you want your vampire stories a little darker, the vampires in this world definitely not of the sparkle quality and something a little off the beaten path, this would be a good pick. Just be prepared to gird your loins at how rambling the heroine can get. Also, did I mention the whole no series thing? 'Cause seriously, you'll probably live at least 2.4% of your life always wishing you could know if Pat is evil, who the Goddess of Evil truly is, and if Mel is Sunshine's Tree.

This story is magical but DARK magic because it will leave you feeling like you're in a straight jacket bouncing off padded walls crying and screaming to book gods about how you "Just need to know if Sunshine and Constantine bang!!" ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
"1.5 out of 5 stars. Okay ... I LOVED the plot, the main characters, and the world that the author created!! All very good and just for that I would recommend it for all to read too! However, the reason I have given this book such a low score was because..."

Read more of this review and a TEASER here: https://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/07/what-was-i-thinking-sunshine-... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Feb 11, 2019 |
The best vampire story ever. Hands down. The best.

Robin McKinleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fusari, ErikaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merlington, LauralNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Peter, my Mel and my Con wrapped up in one (slightly untidy) package. Hey, am I lucky or what?
It was a dumb thing to do but it wasn't that dumb.
"You are not consumed by the dark because you are full of light."

From the front book flap on the hardcover.

From acclaimed author Robin McKinley--a mesmerizing novel of supernatural desire . . .

Sunshine

"Her feet are already bleeding--if you like feet . . "

There are places in the world where darkness rules, where it's unwise to walk. Sunshine knew that. But there hadn't been any trouble out at the lake for years, and she needed a place to be alone for a while.

Unfortunately, she wasn't alone. She never heard them coming. Of course you don't when they're vampires.

They took her clothes and sneakers. They dressed her in a long red gown. And they shackled her to the wall of an abandoned mansion-within easy reach of a figure stirring in the moonlight.

She knows that it is a vampire. She knows that she's to be his dinner, and that when he is finished with her, she will be dead. Yet, when light breaks, she finds that he has not attempted to harm her. And now it is he who needs her to help him survive the day . . .
A sunny baker
A nocturnal bloodsucker
Opposites attract

(Shmuel510)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515138819, Mass Market Paperback)

There hadn't been any trouble out at the lake for years, and Sunshine just needed a spot where she could be alone with her thoughts.

Vampires never entered her mind. Until they found her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

They took her clothes and sneakers. They dressed her in a long red gown. And they shackled her to the wall of an abandoned mansion-within easy reach of a figure in the moonlight. She knows she is a vampire.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,735,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible