Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Title:Sunshine
Authors:Robin McKinley
Info:Speak (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: Recommended if you're looking for another well-written vampire story, with complex and interesting characters.
    Midnight Predator by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (sylvatica)
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two books which both involve alternate histories where vampire and supernatural creatures have become everyday occurrences - and dangers - and how two women deal with the sudden appearance of a troubled supernatural creature in their lives. Both feature memorable protagonists, as well as fascinating alternate histories of the United States.… (more)
    Sunbolt by Intisar Khanani (Fiamme)
    Fiamme: Similar themes of unlikely alliances between human and non human.
    Daylight by Elizabeth Knox (GirlMisanthrope)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (leahsimone)
    Angelfall by Susan Ee (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (leahsimone)
    Dead in Dixie by Charlaine Harris (overtheseatoskye)
    overtheseatoskye: McKinley's sensible heroine Sunshine, grounded as she is in the daily realities of baking and feeding people, reminds me very much of Sookie Stackhouse of Charlaine Harris' wonderful Southern Vampire series. Somehow the contrast between an earthy, pragmatic heroine and the otherworldly vampire love interest heightens the dramatic tension (and the hawtness).… (more)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (Anonymous user)
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (overtheseatoskye)
    overtheseatoskye: If you felt a little let down by the coy ending of "Sunshine," pick up this fun, chick-lit-inflected vampire romp - the final scene, gratifyingly, doesn't leave things to your imagination.
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (goodiegoodie)

I enjoyed "Sunshine" for the simple fact that it can be classified as good vampire lit. I read it once before, after it first came out, but haven't since then. I was less impressed this time around with the bad guy once the main characters finally caught up to him, but was more impressed with the fullness and depth of the secondary characters. I also liked the idea that everyone has secrets, and this just happens to be the story of Sunshine's secrets. It made me feel like the story that Robin McKinley couldn've chosen to tell just as easily could have been Mel's, Con's or Sunshine's mother's. It made Sunshine special at the same time that it humanized her.

I was a little surprised by how slow the pace of the story was, though. Not a lot happens, for such a thick book. A lot of it is description and explanation--world-building stuff. Most of it is interesting enough, even if some of it gets rather confusing after a while. There's just a lot to take in. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Urban fantasy is not my thing. And her writing is not easy which I already knew, But because it's not a gender I favor I cannot really merge with the story though I related to some specifics of the main character and the main plot was interesting. ( )
  neosofia | Jun 19, 2018 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
I'm not one for vampires at all, and I love this book. ( )
  scarylullabies | Apr 12, 2018 |
Loved this book. It was a little challenging getting into it but once I was in Sunshine's groove, it was great. ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
The best vampire story ever. Hands down. The best.

Robin McKinleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fusari, ErikaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merlington, LauralNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Peter, my Mel and my Con wrapped up in one (slightly untidy) package. Hey, am I lucky or what?
It was a dumb thing to do but it wasn't that dumb.
"You are not consumed by the dark because you are full of light."

From the front book flap on the hardcover.

From acclaimed author Robin McKinley--a mesmerizing novel of supernatural desire . . .

Sunshine

"Her feet are already bleeding--if you like feet . . "

There are places in the world where darkness rules, where it's unwise to walk. Sunshine knew that. But there hadn't been any trouble out at the lake for years, and she needed a place to be alone for a while.

Unfortunately, she wasn't alone. She never heard them coming. Of course you don't when they're vampires.

They took her clothes and sneakers. They dressed her in a long red gown. And they shackled her to the wall of an abandoned mansion-within easy reach of a figure stirring in the moonlight.

She knows that it is a vampire. She knows that she's to be his dinner, and that when he is finished with her, she will be dead. Yet, when light breaks, she finds that he has not attempted to harm her. And now it is he who needs her to help him survive the day . . .
A sunny baker
A nocturnal bloodsucker
Opposites attract

(Shmuel510)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515138819, Mass Market Paperback)

There hadn't been any trouble out at the lake for years, and Sunshine just needed a spot where she could be alone with her thoughts.

Vampires never entered her mind. Until they found her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

They took her clothes and sneakers. They dressed her in a long red gown. And they shackled her to the wall of an abandoned mansion-within easy reach of a figure in the moonlight. She knows she is a vampire.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,160,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible