The Complete Asian Cookbook by Charmaine…

The Complete Asian Cookbook (1976)

by Charmaine Solomon (Author)

Other authors: Nina Harris (Author), Deborah Solomon (Author)

319534,767 (4.38)5

This has been one of my favorite cookbooks for almost 40 years. Unlike so many cookbooks, it has really withstood the test of time.

In my food, cooking, and cookbook-collecting circles, one frequently faces the question of what cookbooks would you take to a desert island, if you could only take ______. (Fill in the blank.) My standard answer is that I would take this book plus James Beard's American Cookery. If limited to only one cookbook, I would take this one. Charmaine Solomon really NAILED the cookery of the countries that are represented in this book. My opinion has not changed over the years, even with the increased availability of Asian ingredients in the interim. It now occurs to me that this could only be the case if Charmaine Solomon did not "dumb down" the recipes with that availability in mind. Kudos to her for this formula for a cookbook that is destined to have lasting value. ( )
  ErstwhileEditor | Jun 7, 2015 |
When this classic cookbook was first published in 1976, Charmaine Solomon was widely praised for bringing Asian food to mainstream Australia. Three decades on, her (newly revised and updated) book has fans across the globe, thanks to its range of accessible, authentic recipes from every Asian nation. Simply indispensable! ( )
  whirled | Jul 22, 2014 |
Fabulous book - well used since 1977

Interesting to see Laksas, biriani's etc etc still fav foods 3 decades on

A classic ( )
  KerrieAnne | Dec 27, 2009 |
This book is an excellent overview of Asian cooking, approached on a country-by-country basis. Each chapter focuses on a different country and provides in-depth information about cooking styles, ingredients, and utensils specific to the region. The recipes are easy to follow and pretty authentic. The back of the book contains a wonderful list of suggested substitutions for ingredients not easily found in Western countries. ( )
  refashionista | Feb 18, 2009 |
This is a really great pan-Asian cookbook. I first bought the book in Hong Kong while living there. ( )
  MollyMac | Mar 31, 2007 |

Solomon, CharmaineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, NinaAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Solomon, DeborahAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Reuben who married me before I learned to cook.
Good Cooking is one of the creative arts.....

Just as France has its robust country fare as well as its subtle haute cuisine, so too does Asia have a range of culinary delights that can be simple, complex, delicious, fiery, mild, tantalising - and compulsive!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080481791X, Hardcover)

More than 800 recipes from 16 countries are clearly presented in step-by-step instructions. This cookbook is about real Asian food, created with a minimum of fuss in a Western kitchen from readily available ingredients. Full color.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

This is a completely revised and updated edition of Charmaine Solomon's influential and iconic The Complete Asian Cookbook. Instantly heralded as a classic when it was first published in 1976, it covers 800 dishes from 15 countries. Written for the home cook, Charmaine's recipes are straightforward, simple to follow and work every time. It contains a glossary to explain unfamiliar ingredients.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible