You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz

You're Next (2010)

by Gregg Hurwitz

No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay (amyblue)
    amyblue: Similar cold case family mystery and "every day joe" main characters. Both are great "suburban thrillers."

This is the July 2014 BOTM read of the Goodreads Group "Psychological Thrillers".
The opening (Prologue) is quite interesting, something I am surprised parents don't do more often.
For a while the timeline jumps between chapters titled "Now" and "Then", so you get a glimpse what happens as the child from the Prologue grows up and some explanation how he became what he is (and also his friend who helps him later).
Currently on page 197 - 36%. And I am staying away from the discussion thread on the group to avoid spoilers.
Had some personal stuff to do, or I would have finished it sooner, this is a real good page-turner, realistic, good persons ( William Burrell !), technology used in both good and bad ways, very up-to-date on surveillance by the powers that be.
And while not outright criticising this surveillance it should make you think wether it is good or bad to compile all these facts about everyone, free to be abused as it is shown in the book. A few years ago (even as it was published) I would have said that was not possible, but the still ongoing revelations showed us all how it is in fact quite possible.
Also the technology was used by both the bad guys and the good, and sometimes it bites back, as in the case when a connection with the internet is traced back to the hotel room.

The persons where believable and deep, their decisions well explained and for me feel real and understandable, not produced out of thin air, also, the action felt real. Even Kat the child was not bad, a first for me, who usually finds children whiny and childish and would gladly do as in the Prologue (that is one more reason I will never have a child). And no Deus ex machina, nothing felt constructed.
Still, my favorite person in this book is William Burrell, a really good bad guy, with a disease very detailed and realistically described, a professional torturer who knows pain himself knows how to inflict pain (although Dodge does the work).

Beware: a few people are tortured, and some die rather bloody deaths.
This book is highly recommended, and I am glad we chose it as a Book-of-the-month (see above). I will probably read more of his books. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Very good book!! I love this author!! Can't wait for the next one!! ( )
  chrissilu68 | May 23, 2015 |
Mike Wingate was abandonned by his father at the age of four and has lived most of his youth in foster care. 30 years later, he`s married, has a child and a company that is succesful. During a award ceremony he meets a dangerous man who might be linked to his past.

I thought it was an okay book, I found the story a little bit exagerated and sometimes boring. The revelation near the end didn`t do nothing for me. The basic of the story was good but it became too far-fetched and dissapointing.

dom76 | Jan 7, 2015 |
Loved it! ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
Yep. You're next. A really good page turning read from cover to cover. Recomended by Harlan Coben, , , , he should know! ( )
  Novak | Oct 14, 2013 |
I won't be the lonely one. Glasvegas, 'Daddy's Gone'
To Rosie, for introducing me to my adult self.
And to Natalie, for making it all make sense.
The four-year-old boy stirs in the backseat of the station wagon, his body little more than a bump beneath the blanket draped over him, his hip sore where the seat belt's buckle presses into it.

'I know you, don't I?' Five words - that's all it takes to plunge Mike Wingate and his family into mortal danger. Mike doesn't recognise the crippled stranger who approaches him at a party ...but the stranger seems to know all about him. What has Mike done? Do they have the wrong man? Overnight, the threats become attacks, and Mike, his wife, and their young daughter learn they aren't safe anywhere -especially not their own home. He doesn't know who they are. He doesn't know what they want. But there's no time to figure it out - because his enemies have killed before, and he's next.

Mike doesn't recognise the crippled stranger who approaches him at a party, but the stranger seems to know all about him. What has Mike done? Do they have the wrong man? Overnight, the threats become attacks, and Mike, his wife, and their young daughter learn they aren't safe anywhere - especially not their own home.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,851,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible