Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11) (edition 2011)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:litalex
Title:Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Hardcover (2011), Edition: 1 Mti, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Sookie Stackhouse, paranormal

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Mind_Booster_Noori: This is the first of the series. If you like this book you should read the series, starting by the first (there's characters' development and references to previous books, so this series should be read in publishing order...)

English (138)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (141)
3.5 ... this left me very unsatisfied! I will have to keep reading to know what happens...ugh!!!! ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Dead Reckoning left me feeling flat. I've enjoyed all the books in the series so far (yes, even 9 and 10), but this? This was beyond pale.

Weak, flat story with no real action, danger or mystery. Predictable to the extreme and all of it told instead of shown. No character development at all - in fact, pages and pages of nothing really happening.

A flicker of interesting happened when Sookie went with Hunter to size up his new school, but once again, everything was told and then it's the last we hear of Hunter (whose relationship with Sookie could be a really invigorating change to what's become a plot-by-numbers series). When I say "everything is told", I mean "everything is told". Almost zero showing going on. Like with Tara's baby shower, we are told there are some women and a few names are mentioned, and we are told Sookie is told a really nice story about her gran and we're assured that this makes her feel better.

Yeah. The whole book is basically like that.

I don't know, it's as if the TV series has sucked the blood and originality out of the books, which is funny considering that they're only similar in an "inspired by the books" kind of way, and it's almost as if Charlaine Harris herself is getting bored with it all.

THIS IS WHY SERIES SHOULD END AT SOME POINT. Ahem. Just sayin'.

Still, I did find it intriguing enough to finish, and it had one or two fun moments, so two stars it is. ( )
  Leia-Ann | Apr 27, 2015 |
3 ½ Stars

This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Dead Reckoning is book eleven in the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris.

Sookie is at Merlotte’s when a Molotov bomb is thrown through one of the windows. It was a close call, but nobody is injured. Sookie is almost sure this was not a human attack. But if it’s not one of the human demonstrators, who was it and why?
Sookie’s cousin Claude and her Great-uncle Dermot are still living with her. They help her clean the attic of her house. Sookie hasn’t been there since the dead of her grandmother two years ago. In one of the furniture pieces extracted from the attic she finds a letter addressed to her from her grandmother with a very especial gift.
Claude and Dermot’s intentions towards Sookie are not clear, especially Claude’s. It looks as if he has a hidden agenda.
Eric is distant from Sookie, he is keeping secrets from her and Sookie is keeping secrets from him. There is also a lot of tension between them, Sookie feels it through their bond but doesn’t know what to do about it.
When Sookie is with Eric and Pam, Pam is trying to say something to Sookie, but Eric doesn’t allow her. Sookie realizes the problem is not just with her; there is also a big tension between Pam and Eric. And it’s not just the problems with Victor; something else is going on with Eric.

Dead Reckoning was better than the previous two books in this series, but still it’s not Mrs. Harris at her best. There are conflicts, intrigues, fights and more, old characters are back and new are introduced.

There were many WTF moments, one of those was with Alcide, and other was with Sookie getting NAKED not to leave FOOTPRINTS in a house! There were also some discrepancies in the narrative like the size of Bill’s resting place.

My final thought: Dead Reckoning felt like a book in which Mrs. Harris planted many seeds for the next and last two books of this series. Secrets were told, new things were learned and others were left unsaid, awaiting the final resolution that is to come.
I’ll be sad to say good-bye to Sookie. It has been one of my first and favorites series all the time, but I think her time is more than up. I just hope Mrs. Harris can wrap it all up in a deserving manner to her fans without been swayed by what it’ll be good to the TV series. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
This was MUCH better than the last book in the series. Very violent, and stuff actually got resolved. Satisfying read. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Sucked. Was so disappointed in it. No wit, no fun, no intrigue. Was dull and lifeless. Barely even recognized the characters they were so weak.
  aVamp1r3 | Nov 25, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have to dedicate this book to the memory of my mother: She would not have thought it strange to have an urban fantasy novel dedicated to her. She was my biggest fan and my most faithful reader. There was so much to admire about my mother. I miss her every day.
The attic had been kept locked until the day after my grandmother died.

"With her knack for being in trouble's way, Sookie Stackhouse witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlotte is now known to be two-natured, suspicion falls immediately on the anti-shifters in the area. Sookie suspects otherwise, but her attention is divided when she realizes that her lover, Eric Northman, and his "child" Pam are plotting to kill the vampire who is now their master. Gradually, Sookie is drawn into the plot--which is much more complicated than she knows. Caught up once again in the politics of the vampire world, Sookie will learn that she is as much of a pawn as any ordinary human--and that there is a new queen on the board..."--… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,518,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible