Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11) (edition 2011)

by Charlaine Harris

2,532None2,380 (3.65)74
Member:litalex
Title:Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Hardcover (2011), Edition: 1 Mti, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Sookie Stackhouse, paranormal

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

2011 (60) 2012 (14) Charlaine Harris (20) ebook (42) fae (20) faerie (19) fairies (41) fantasy (137) fiction (166) horror (23) Kindle (28) Louisiana (31) mystery (84) paranormal (74) paranormal romance (39) read (41) read in 2011 (42) romance (59) series (54) shapeshifters (51) Sookie (26) Sookie Stackhouse (136) Sookie Stackhouse Series (16) supernatural (62) to-read (46) True Blood (22) urban fantasy (85) vampires (294) werewolves (79) witches (14)
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Mind_Booster_Noori: This is the first of the series. If you like this book you should read the series, starting by the first (there's characters' development and references to previous books, so this series should be read in publishing order...)

English (124)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (126)
I have to agree with some of the reviews this book received indicating that the series was feeling a little stale. That said, for those of us who love this world and the characters in it, this book is worth the read. Come on, you're only three books from the end of the series. ( )
  BJ3568 | Mar 25, 2014 |
Another Sookie novel, no more, no less. Better than the last one, it leaves me with a feeling that I want to read the next one, unlike last time where my thoughts were, "Well, maybe one more...". For half a second I thought she might wrap up the series with this book, but eleven is such a wretched number. But of course there are plenty of strings that are left open for many many sequels to come.

I also dislike the colon A True Blood Novel. Way to suck up (ha! Vampires! Get it!?!) those HBO endorsements. But overall, that's just a mild irritation. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
This entry in the series has a bit more happen than in book 10, although the resolution to the big mystery feels repetitive.

Most of the ideas and plots in this book will ring familiar to any reader of the series. There might be hate against a newly out group (the shifters this time), some vampire higher ups are causing problems and need to be dealt with, and Sookie is just shocked that someone wants her dead. How she continues to be shocked by everyone hating her or wanting her out of the picture is beyond me, but Sookie isn’t exactly smart. Because many of the plots feel like previously visited territory, in spite of the fact that they’re well-written and active, they’re a bit boring. Something truly new really needs to happen to Sookie. The one plot point that is new, of course, is her interactions with the fae that were left behind when Niall closed off fairy. That plot was very interesting, and I’m glad it’s in the book, as it kept my interest up.

There really isn’t very much sex at this point. I honestly felt like that was a mercy since listening to someone read the awkward sex scene out loud was almost too cringe-inducing to bear. We all know Harris’s sex scenes are a bit….awkward. There’s not much new to say about that except that there’s really only one, and that feels like a good thing. Although Sookie does mention rather frequently Eric’s prowess in bed.

Sookie continues to be a self-righteous hypocrite, but someone close to her finally (finally!) calls her out on it. It happens toward the end of the book, after a lot of build-up of Sookie continuing to think she’s better than everyone else and has more morals than the rest of the supe world. The call-out is written with a perfect amount of ambiguity in the narration, leaving it up to the reader to decide if they agree with Sookie that she’s just holding onto her human morals or with the one who calls her out that she’s committing the acts and refusing to admit this is who she is. I’m not sure what camp Harris falls into, but I appreciated the finesse with which she leaves it open-ended for the reader to form their own opinion of Sookie.

Overall, this entry in the series is a bit repetitive. Two of the three main plots are similar versions of things we have seen before. However, Sookie finally gets called out for her hypocrisy and self-righteousness, and the third plot is new enough to keep interest up. Fans of the series will be a bit disappointed but will still find it a moderately interesting, quick read.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-15P ( )
  gaialover | Feb 26, 2014 |
I really enjoyed these books when they were about some mystery to solve, but now it's just "Let's see what Sookie is doing today" or just random soap-opera-ish happenings. Sookie continues to be a dim bulb, a trait that stopped being endearing around five books ago and now she just comes off as your average Mary Sue character. The only way Sookie's love-life is going to continue to be interesting is if she starts doing Pam, because the men in her life are ridiculously whiny.

I was at least pleased that there were no cringe-worthy True Blood references like in the last book.

I'll give Harris one more shot with the next book but I've pretty much lost interest in this series. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
Dead Reckoning is the 11th book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. In this installment, Sookie finds herself facing her enemies as she puzzles over her love life. On the cover Sookie is pictured alone, which is appropriate for Sookie’s story this time around. She spends a lot of time on her own reflecting on her life. She is at a turning point and life’s challenges are bringing her down.

In general, I still enjoy this series, but not nearly as much as the first few books. There seemed to be a shift in my interest in the books when the True Blood HBO series began. At this point in the series, it feels like it is time for the series to wind down. And it seems per Ms. Harris that in fact the series will come to an end after two more books.

Reading this series is comforting like visiting an old friend. It is nice to revisit Bon Temps and all of the quirky characters. Pretty much all of the characters make an appearance in this book. On the one hand it’s great to have cameos from so many favorites, on the other hand the story felt a bit disjointed as it jumped around quite a bit.

One of the storylines that interested me the most is about the faeries. We learn more about the faeries and the relationship to Sookie’s grandmother. I am really curious to see what will happen with Sookie, Claude and Dermot in the last two books.

The story was good, but the pace was sluggish in parts, especially the first half. The mood of this book is dark and sad, without the more humorous parts I wanted to lighten up the story. Some of the scenes that I think were supposed to be funny (Bill/Sookie for example) did not come across that way to me. I would have liked to see more of Pam as well. Hope there is more action and humor in book 12.

I listened to the audiobook version this time around. The reader Johanna Parker does an incredible job bringing the characters of the book to life. She sounds just how I’d imagine Sookie to sound.

I’m curious to see how this series ends, and who Sookie will end up with. It feels like Sookie is getting tired of being in the middle of the supernatural politics and getting blood on her hands. Will she decide to spend her life with Eric, Bill, or Sam? Or someone we haven’t met yet?

Dead Reckoning should please the die-hard fans of the series. It is obvious that we are getting to the end of the series, and the pieces of the puzzle are coming into place. Look for book 12 to be released around May 2012.
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have to dedicate this book to the memory of my mother: She would not have thought it strange to have an urban fantasy novel dedicated to her. She was my biggest fan and my most faithful reader. There was so much to admire about my mother. I miss her every day.
The attic had been kept locked until the day after my grandmother died.

"With her knack for being in trouble's way, Sookie Stackhouse witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlotte is now known to be two-natured, suspicion falls immediately on the anti-shifters in the area. Sookie suspects otherwise, but her attention is divided when she realizes that her lover, Eric Northman, and his "child" Pam are plotting to kill the vampire who is now their master. Gradually, Sookie is drawn into the plot--which is much more complicated than she knows. Caught up once again in the politics of the vampire world, Sookie will learn that she is as much of a pawn as any ordinary human--and that there is a new queen on the board..."--… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible