Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11) (edition 2011)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:litalex
Title:Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Hardcover (2011), Edition: 1 Mti, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Sookie Stackhouse, paranormal

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Mind_Booster_Noori: This is the first of the series. If you like this book you should read the series, starting by the first (there's characters' development and references to previous books, so this series should be read in publishing order...)

English (134)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (137)
It was all a dream! Sookie wakes up in a sweat freaking out only to realise it was all just a harmless nightmare. Her life isn't a supernatural mess, she's settled down with her man and is happily living in domestic bliss. The curtain comes down on the book.

That didn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it does, as a series closer that is. There was so much WTFery in Dead Reckoning it's hard to know where to start. My feelings shifted through indifference, exasperation, WTH and the occasional chuckle.

Changing agendas and personalities of the characters over the last few books has left me lukewarm. Sookie is no longer someone I sympathise with. My exasperation came into play with what I perceive to be Sookie's drawn out break up with Eric. It's been on the cards for a while and many fans have predicted such a thing. Sookie thinking of her future and the impossibility of children with her current beau, his love of violence and her hatred of it plus his level of understanding of her feelings plummeting when the bond is severed has her reconsidering her options.

It seemed like Harris was throwing men at Sookie left, right and centre, offering them up as alternatives. Alcide's weird Little Red Riding Hood move was both completely out of character and unexpected. Alcide has always been a gentleman and gentlemen simply do not take off their clothes and slip into a girl's bed without her knowledge or permission when little more than polite words have passed between them in recent times -WTF? Creepy as hell.

Claude eyeing Sookie's close friendship with Sam, her desperate run, whilst completely starkers, into dead-to-the-world Bill's arms to hide from kidnappers -did she have to be naked? Did we have to be reminded of his love her and his willingness to get back together? Even her fae family were being offered up as possible love interests? Erm, incest anyone? I know Sookie's Christian beliefs have had to stretch to accommodate her increasingly dangerous lifestyle but incest is probably pushing it.

The storyline was partly one that wouldn't die. The death of Debbie Pelt which if I remember correctly was in book 4. This is #14. Debbie's sister Sandra who's one-track mind is hell bent on Sookie's death -again, by any means necessary. The other part is how-to-get-rid-of-Victor. Digging up old storylines and rehashing them isn't something I'm interested in, while the Victor-problem was much the same; someone seeks to control Sookie and friends and they must be eliminated, only the character to be disposed of has changed.

The introduction of a certain fae object is discomforting and leads me to believe what I've said in my opening paragraph is entirely possible. I really don't want to know what Sookie will use it for, whether it be a selfish purpose or an altruistic one.

Claude, Dermot and the fae from Hooligans sparked my interest. I wished we could've seen more them and their plans. Dermot was sweet and I enjoyed his renewed vigor and sense of purpose.

I'm not so secretly hoping for a Hamlet ending -one in which everyone dies, including Sookie herself. I think that's the only way to both shock readers who've predicted Sookie's final situation and ensure the series isn't somehow extended beyond an all ready long overdue point. I'm ready for Sookie stories to go the way of the dodo. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Another fun read although I disliked the end with the way Eric treated Sookie. That didn't make sense to me. It was nice to see more of the story wrapped up, although even more possibilities have opened up. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
It's better than the previous one.At least there is enough action to keep the story interesting.

I have a feeling that Eric is going to be out of the picture soon.And I don't like it at all.I am an Eric fan and I don't like the idea of Eric dragged out of Sookie's life by the author.She is doing it and it seems very forceful.May be I am partial about Eric's character and that's the reason I am feeling that way.Whatever,I don't like the idea at all.

Some things didn't make much sense,like how they killed Victor.They weren't subtle about it at all.They went into the fight full on battle mode swinging their blades.If they were just going to kill Victor and all of his minions just like that,why were they waiting for it so long?What are they going to tell the King?In the end,killing Victor was too easy and it wasn't reasonable.

The second thing,which was absolutely meaningless,was Sookie got naked to hide from the kidnappers.Who the hell thought of striping of their clothes to hide from kidnappers?It seemed to me there was no reason for it other than having a naked scene with Bill.It seems the author may arrange a love rectangle with Sookie,Eric,Bill and Sam.And I am not feeling good about it.I don't like either Bill or Sam.But seems like Sookiee is gonna end up with one of them.And I absolutely hate that idea.

I was way more interested in the fae part of the story.There is more to Sookie's fae relatives than just meet the eye.Claude is definitely after something but it wasn't revealed in this book.

So overall,my love for Sookie series is fading away but I will read the rest of the series anyway. ( )
  sreeparna | Jul 27, 2014 |
The usual vampire bubblegum, the book moves the series along but hardly progresses it. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |
Summary for the 11th book in the series... Trying to do this without spoilers: Sookie has someone who wants her dead, some of her supernatural family is staying with her and she is learning more about her great-uncle, and Eric is in a political “battle”. Those are probably the main plotlines in this one.

I'm still liking the series. It's funny because, though I like that the day-to-day stuff continues (for instance, Sookie has a baby shower planned for a friend, also Merlotte's is struggling) while Sookie is trying to avoid being murdered – in so many other books, any day-to-day stuff just gets set aside – I have to admit that it doesn't make for as exciting a book as if the entire story focused on Sookie's survival. I'm still liking it, though, and I do appreciate the day-to-day stuff still happening. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have to dedicate this book to the memory of my mother: She would not have thought it strange to have an urban fantasy novel dedicated to her. She was my biggest fan and my most faithful reader. There was so much to admire about my mother. I miss her every day.
The attic had been kept locked until the day after my grandmother died.

"With her knack for being in trouble's way, Sookie Stackhouse witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlotte is now known to be two-natured, suspicion falls immediately on the anti-shifters in the area. Sookie suspects otherwise, but her attention is divided when she realizes that her lover, Eric Northman, and his "child" Pam are plotting to kill the vampire who is now their master. Gradually, Sookie is drawn into the plot--which is much more complicated than she knows. Caught up once again in the politics of the vampire world, Sookie will learn that she is as much of a pawn as any ordinary human--and that there is a new queen on the board..."--… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible