The Trouble with May Amelia by Jennifer L.…

The Trouble with May Amelia

by Jennifer L. Holm

May Amelia Jackson is a daughter of the Jackson's family. 7 brothers are not easy and especially if you have a sister who recently just passed away. Today I will be talking about how May brought her family to a good fortune!

May Amelia Jackson have's a unique family. She has 7 brothers. Matti who ran away, Kaarlo, Isaiah, Wendell, Alvin, Ivan, and Wilbert who is Amelia's favorite brother. May haves a father who thinks women is no good and thinks May is worthless. May's family speaks Finn so she goes to school to learn English.

May loves her new favorite teacher, Ms. McEwing. Everyone in May's class loves her. Every single time a man comes by to talk to miss McEwing they always get the man away from miss McEwing. Women in those days if you were married you were not allowed to work. So they always try to get her avoiding those men. May's family is not really rich so its hard with getting food and new clothes. The clothes that May haves are passed down from relatives. One day a man named Mr. Yerrington had spoken to May. He told him if May's father signs some certain paperwork May's father could get rich. May told her father as soon as possible and her father thought may be useful for once. May never been so happy and was so excited for the next day. Mr.Yerrington had come over to May's house and he spoke English so May had to translate for her dad. He didn't really trust her but he didn't really have anyone else just as good as her. Mr. Yerrington and May's father had spoken to each other with May's help, May's father got these certificates and a hundred dollars. Mr.Yerrington said that he would come back and give all the money to May's father as soon as possible.
Little did they know Mr. Yerrington tricked them. May's family they were going to rich so they started buying things and borrowing things from banks. May got new shoes and her brothers bought their own things. May's family had family coming over and surprisingly, Matti came to visit with his new wife. May's father was not happy until he told him was going to be in a business. Days later, May went back to school. There was May's neighbor, Mr. Clayton was talking to Miss McEwing. A week later they were engaged and they no longer had Miss McEwing as their teacher. May had never been this upset ever since. That's when things started getting worse. The barn on fire, finding May's kitten who she thought was dead, and they found out Mr. Yerrington was a scam and stole their money. The family started losing things and sadly, they lost everything in their house. May's brother had to work so they can earn money and even her mom had too do some extra chores. May's father hated her he blamed her for " lying " and thought she was just " translating wrong." Poor May she always thought it was her fault and everything. May's family had another gathering during Christmas time to spread the new's. May was told to pick up some sticks outside for fire and while she was doing what she was told, she had an idea of a wood business. May's family agree with the idea and they knew they were going to have an exciting new year.

This book was okay. To be honest there will be some times where I am constantly bored with. I wouldn't mention or talk about this book to any of my friends but I would tell my sister about it. There are many better books out there and I wouldn't read this again anytime soon. And the person who made the cover clearly had no idea what the story is even about. The story was okay. ( )
  emmad.B2 | Jan 16, 2018 |
Very much a continuation of "Our Only May Amelia." In fact, they could almost be just bound together as one book.
The one continuing plot line involves May's father investing heavily in a company planning to build a port town, and the results of that investment. However, much of the book is the telling of assorted unrelated events in the Jackson home and their small Nasel community.

A note on the author's writing style: I would like these books much more if she would used quotation marks and not capitalize words constantly that don't require capitalization. I find both of these stylistic affectations to be irritating and distracting.

A note on the dust jacket to the hardcover edition: Clearly, whoever designed the book cover didn't have any idea what the book was about. The book is told by a 12 year old girl, living in 1900. The dust jacket features a girl who looks to be in her early 20s, and there is even a slight glimpse of her hot-pink bra strap showing. The paperback edition has a much more sensible cover. ( )
  fingerpost | Sep 1, 2017 |
May Amelia and her Finnish family of seven brothers live along Washington state's Nasel river in the early 1900's. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
I just love this character and feel for her throughout her challenges. Poignant, charming, historically sound and fascinating, and amusing at times. I like the addition of Finnish culture and language too. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
This book took me a while to get into becasue I couldn't find anythign to connect with in the beginning. It's the story of an only girl with seven brothers who lives on a farm and is growing up in poverty. She is constantly mocked for being a tom boy, but manages to overcome the harassment. Her family is very poor and winds up going bankrup over a local scam over investments. Her family takes a morgage on their home thinking he will become a millionaire over the deal and looses all their money, the animals, furniture, house and land. May Amelia gets the blame for everything becasue she was the translator in the deal, because her father can't speak english. In the end it all works out and she is forgiven. I eneded up enjoying the book once the action began, and I learned a few words in Finn along the way. ( )
  Jordanlaine | Mar 20, 2014 |

Living with seven brothers and her father, who thinks girls are useless, a thirteen-year-old Finnish American farm girl is determined to prove her worth when a enterprising gentleman tries to purchase their cash-strapped family settlement in Washington State in 1900.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,776,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible