Waterfall: A Novel (River of Time Series) by…

Waterfall: A Novel (River of Time Series) (edition 2011)

by Lisa T. Bergren

Member:terriko
Title:Waterfall: A Novel (River of Time Series)
Authors:Lisa T. Bergren
Info:David C. Cook (2011), Edition: New, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**

Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren

I probably should have given this 3 stars, but I gave it 4 because it was just such a FUN read. Adventure, romance, lots of humour. Very hard to put down. I am now at a dilemma - my library doesn't have the second two books in the series! Help!! ( )
  TheEditrix | Jan 13, 2016 |
4.5/5
Absolutely gorgeous. I'm totally in love with the book!

Waterfall was nothing like I expected. I was prepared to read somewhat watered down, rosy, time-travel YA with a cutesy and clumsy main heroine.

Hah! I say, hah!

Down and dirty, gritty and atmospheric with a more than capable heroine. She can fence! She can heal! She scales the walls! Oh, man... I was in heaven.

This very much reminded me of The Outlander, and I truly can't wait to read more about Gabriella and her younger sister (who is an archer!), Lia.

Even the men in this book are interesting, Marcello and his learned but sickly older brother, Luca - Marcello's cheerful, cheeky second in command. The love line is a bit overdramatic and very troubadour-ish, and historically I had to suspend my disbelief in many places, however the writing itself outshines all the flaws.

I love Renaissance, and here is the story which I'm not very familiar with about two Italian city-states Florence and Siena, and their political battle against each other.

17 year-old Gabi and her 15 year old sister Lia came to Italy with their mother who is an archaeologist researching old Etruscan burial sites. Bored out of her mind Gabi sneaks into one of the tombs with Lia and they both touch certain stones on the wall at the same time, which transfers them back in time. Way back to the 14th century.

And that's where all the fun starts. Which I'm not telling you about.

Suffice to say there is plenty of excitement. And now because of this book I have another Italian town on my MUST SEE before I die list, - Siena. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Once again I realize I don't like paranormal, fantasy
  Trekeive | Jun 13, 2015 |
Summary: While excavating a Tuscan tomb with their mom during summer vacation, Gabi and Lia find themselves transported back to medieval times and a fierce battle between two knights and their forces.
Personal Reaction:I read all three books over the weekend. I loved them. This book grabbed me from the beginning.
Historical fiction mixed in with a bit of romance...perfect. The book was full of adventure, battles, and characters that were well developed.
Classroom Extension: The book has more extensive historical knowledge from their travels with their parents, along with foreign language skills and use of archaic weaponry. This was a clean read with some faith elements but not very much, not sure if would be a Christian fiction.
-I would recommend this to students interested in YA books and I would purchase them for MS or HS library. ( )
  LorraineAllen | Jan 23, 2015 |
Fifteen-year-old Lia and seventeen-year-old Gabriella’s mother is an archaeologist of Etruscan tombs in Italy. They’ve been warned to never go into any of her tombs or touch anything but, bored with the lack of interesting things for teenagers to do in the small village, they disobey and sneak into a tomb. Read the rest of my review on my blog "Should I read it or not?": http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/waterfall-lisa-t-bergren/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Take a new step,

uttering a new word,

is what people fear most.

-Dostoevsky
For Liv and Emma:

I love you. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

-Mama
Okay, fast forward.

Gabriella has never spent a summer in Italy like this one.
Remaining means giving up all she’s known and loved…
and leaving means forfeiting what she’s come to know…and love itself.

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bentarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives with their parents, famed Etruscan scholars, among the romantic hills. Stuck among the rubble of medieval castles in rural Tuscany on yet another hot, dusty archeological site, Gabi and Lia are bored out of their minds… until Gabi places her hand atop a handprint in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy. And worse yet, in the middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces.
And thus does she come to be rescued by the knight-prince Marcello Falassi, who takes her back to his father’s castle—a castle Gabi has seen in ruins in another life. Suddenly Gabi’s summer in Italy is much, much more interesting. But what do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bentarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives with their parents, famed Etruscan scholars, among the romantic hills. Stuck among the rubble of medieval castles in rural Tuscany on yet another hot, dusty archaeological site, Gabi and Lia are bored out of their minds-- until Gabi places her hand atop a handprint in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy. And worse yet, in the middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces. And thus does she come to be rescued by the knight-prince Marcello Falassi, who takes her back to his father's castle--a castle Gabi has seen in ruins in another life. Suddenly Gabi's summer in Italy is much, much more interesting. But what do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?… (more)

99 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible