Waterfall: A Novel (River of Time Series) by…

Waterfall: A Novel (River of Time Series) (edition 2011)

by Lisa T. Bergren

Member:terriko
Title:Waterfall: A Novel (River of Time Series)
Authors:Lisa T. Bergren
Info:David C. Cook (2011), Edition: New, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**

Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren

Fifteen-year-old Lia and seventeen-year-old Gabriella’s mother is an archaeologist of Etruscan tombs in Italy. They’ve been warned to never go into any of her tombs or touch anything but, bored with the lack of interesting things for teenagers to do in the small village, they disobey and sneak into a tomb. Read the rest of my review on my blog "Should I read it or not?": http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/waterfall-lisa-t-bergren/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Young Adult? No problem. Time travel romance? Sign me up, there are never enough of them! I was excited to read this one. The cover was promising and the story seemed right up my alley. Two sisters, unexpectedly swept back in time to medieval Italy where they encounter adventure and romance in their desperate attempt to get back to the future? How could that not be awesome? I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled by the more imaginative stories of [a:Lynn Kurland|10359|Lynn Kurland|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1282191556p2/10359.jpg] and [a:Jude Deveraux|28574|Jude Deveraux|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1208371178p2/28574.jpg]. But it never really engaged me on a deeper level, and I don't need to read the sequel. If we could give half-stars, I would rate this one 2.5 stars. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Really like this book it was different and exciting. Time travel into the 1400's. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 22, 2014 |
I'm a sucker for time travel romance, so I enjoyed that aspect of this book. I wish Gabi's vernacular had been consistent throughout the book, rather than flipping back and forth between fancy 14th century speak to teen speak from today. It was disorienting and distracting. The action was constant throughout, which I enjoyed, and Marcellus and Luca were both yummy love interests. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
I decided to read this one because I had heard so many great things about the series and even though I don't usually enjoy historical fiction, I do love time travel, so I figured that I would give it a shot, and boy am I glad that I did.
I really enjoyed Gabbi's character, and when she went backwards in time, she knew more than me of the time period because of her growing up with archaeologists for parents, but just enough so that she could blend in, and the things she didn't understand was able to be written off because she claimed to be from a different country and distraught because of her missing sister and mother.
But, as it turns out, the way that Lisa writes, I really loved the time period. The customs and chivalry, the way that the politics were presented was interesting to me, but like with all books, it was really the characters that made the story for me. Gabbi being emotional, but resilient and strong, showing up as a female obviously beyond the times, and willing to stand up for herself, fight for her family, and yet willing to learn. She knew her weaknesses, but turned them into strength. What I enjoyed the most though was that she was loyal, she cared about other people, and she kept the big picture in focus. She was willing to put aside what she wanted in order for others to be happy and for the greater good.
There was some talk of religion in this one, but it was tastefully written, fitting with the time period, circumstances, and not preachy. I actually really appreciated her openess to it, even though she wasn't a religious person to start with.
On to the men. Wow. They were thoughtful, handsome, strong, and they just don't have many men like this in this time, which is another reason I enjoyed the time period.
The action scenes were well written and didn't feel forced or too gruesome, while yet keeping true to what would have been realistic in battle and between the forces.
Fortino was a pleasant addition. I loved that Gabbi wanted to help him, and was able to use personal experience as well as some modern age treatments to help him with his illness, and that it was a true friendship between a guy and a girl.
Luka, the first guard, caught my eye, but I knew that he wasn't for Gabbi. I couldn't help but fall for him though, he is trust worthy, loyal, understanding.
Marcello is the perfect royal gentlemen. It is hard because his marriage has been planned since he was a small child and it is for political alliance. He was fine until he met and fell for Gabbi. It was so hard because of his duty, responsibilities, and then his feelings. There is such tension, hotness, and passion in this romance, but it is all clean.
The ending worked well for the book, although I am eager to get an opening in my schedule to keep reading about this awesome world and see what choices are made and how they live with the ones from the last book, however painful, noble, fitting, and needed.

Bottom Line: Loved the characters and the romance. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Dec 7, 2013 |
Take a new step,

uttering a new word,

is what people fear most.

-Dostoevsky
For Liv and Emma:

I love you. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

-Mama
Okay, fast forward.

Gabriella has never spent a summer in Italy like this one.
Remaining means giving up all she’s known and loved…
and leaving means forfeiting what she’s come to know…and love itself.

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bentarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives with their parents, famed Etruscan scholars, among the romantic hills. Stuck among the rubble of medieval castles in rural Tuscany on yet another hot, dusty archeological site, Gabi and Lia are bored out of their minds… until Gabi places her hand atop a handprint in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy. And worse yet, in the middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces.
And thus does she come to be rescued by the knight-prince Marcello Falassi, who takes her back to his father’s castle—a castle Gabi has seen in ruins in another life. Suddenly Gabi’s summer in Italy is much, much more interesting. But what do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bentarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives with their parents, famed Etruscan scholars, among the romantic hills. Stuck among the rubble of medieval castles in rural Tuscany on yet another hot, dusty archaeological site, Gabi and Lia are bored out of their minds-- until Gabi places her hand atop a handprint in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy. And worse yet, in the middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces. And thus does she come to be rescued by the knight-prince Marcello Falassi, who takes her back to his father's castle--a castle Gabi has seen in ruins in another life. Suddenly Gabi's summer in Italy is much, much more interesting. But what do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?… (more)

103 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,498,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible