Cascade by Lisa T. Bergren
1322091,104 (4.28)3
    Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren (Anonymous user)

I loved being back in this world and in Gabi's head. She is so fierce, open, and so easy to pull for. I wanted the best for her, and of course, I desired to see her and Marcello reunited.
On this trip back in time, Gabi, Lia, and their mother show up, and it doesn't take long for the action to get going. There are still skirmishes, the threat of the plague coming, Rossi, danger, love, and adventure that fill the pages, and I was sucked into the story.
So many things were moving this plot forward as well as letting me get to know not only Gabi and Marcello better but also Lia and Luka, their mom, and through Gabi's memories, their father. You really see what people are made of when those around them are hurt or sick, when your land, home and those you love are threatened. We see Gabi in some really tough spots, with huge decisions on her shoulders, and I couldn't help admire how she faces it all with bravery, common sense, loyalty and love.
The ending was a pleasant surprise, and I can't wait to see how things go in the next book especially with the new plot developments towards the end. I have never been more eager to go back in time!

Bottom Line: Great second book. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Dec 15, 2013 |
*Originally Reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

This book didn’t grab me as much as the previous one. I still enjoyed reading it, but this time there were some things that bothered me tremendously. Like when they discover someone who has the plague. Gabi immediately orders anyone who has been in contact with the person (she, Marcello, Lia , Luca and some of the knights) to go in quarantine and don’t be in the vicinity of other people for a duration of 10 days. When they have to flee before the ten days are over, she turns a deaf ear to her sound advice and doesn’t even think about the people she meets and who help her ( no problem if the enemy catches it ;) )! She doesn’t even warn them!
And the people who do have the plague are better way too soon. If someone is suffering from the plague, which is most certain deadly, it’s not possible to be up and running within days… at least I haven’t heard or read of something like that happening.

Gabi started to annoy me a little. She sometimes acted without ever thinking about what consequences her actions would have. In the first book I kinda overlooked this because she just arrived there, but now? After some time, you would get used to think before you act, wouldn’t you? Since some of her actions already had consequences in the first book, I thought she must have learned something from that, but apparently not.
Another fact that bothered me was that, after spending more than two days in the burning sun with no water (which makes you very weak and can kill you) she was all better a couple of hours after she drank some water…. That’s just not possible, your body needs more time to recover from it.

Little side note: Noticed Luca somewhere saying: I could sail the seven seas… Seven seas? I doubt they knew there were seven at that time ;)

My overall rating of this book is still, despite my remarks (okay I can be a nit-picker ;) ) is 4 hearts. Quite enjoyed reading it and I’m patiently (so not ;) ) waiting till the next and last book comes out in September. And for those of you who are wondering: Marcello is continues to be a true knight in shining armor. Even in this book I wasn’t able to find a single flaw in him ;) ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Aug 9, 2013 |
Like the first in the series, I thought Cascade started out pretty slowly. I found myself losing interest a couple of times, but am I glad I kept on reading! It's packed full of action and interesting twists. It ended on a cliff-hanger, so I'm excited to read on and find out what happens. ( )
  Annesanse | Jun 9, 2013 |
I absolutely love this series. There is just enough romance and adventure to keep most any reader hooked. I also like the 13th century Italian setting. This is the second book in the River of Time series, and I found it just as likable as the first. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Apr 30, 2013 |
This is the second book in the River of Time Trilogy, the third book is Torrent. I didn’t like this book quite as much as Waterfall. It was still a very engaging book and made for a wonderful historical fantasy.

Gabi and Lia are back in modern times and trying to explain to their mother about the time portal and what happened. Gabi finally convinces Lia and her mother to return to 14th century Italy via the time portal. When they get there they find that weeks, not hours, have passed. Marcello is still waiting for Lia and Lia and Gabi are celebrated as heroes. The battle still rages between Florence and Siena. Gabi has a difficult question to answer, will she stay in the past and follow her heart by being with Marcello even if it means living a war torn life.

This story started a bit slow. Once they return to Siena there is a lot of lovey dovey going on between Gabi and Marcello. Marcello wants to keep Gabi safe and loves her. Gabi loves Marcello but doesn’t want to be stifled by him. They both love each other and adore each other and we hear about it constantly for quite awhile. I don’t mind the romance, it is sweet, but there was just too much gazing and longing in the first part.

After that things really pick up and the second part of the book is filled with intrigue, battles, and lots of action. This was an excellent part of the book.

You have to love the characters in this series; they are noble and good, but also have good senses of humor. I love the historical setting and enjoyed the beautiful style of writing. The book is so easy to read and moves quickly.

There is another thing about the story that bothered me. At one point the characters are exposed to the black plague and one of them actually catches it. The story makes a huge deal about this, the characters isolate themselves so as not to spread the plague etc. As the story continues and war ensues, this is brushed aside. We see the character in question later fully healed, but we don’t know how they healed. We also don’t learn if any of the other people in the party got the plague. The whole thing, which is so important for a large portion of the story, is just brushed aside with minimal resolution.

The book ends with another kind of cliffhanger. I am eager to see how all of this resolves in the third, and final, book Torrent.

Overall a good continuation of this series. Gabi and Marcello’s need to constantly profess their love bothered me in the beginning of the story and the topic of the black plague been brought up and then dropped was another issue for me. The writing style was very beautiful, the characters are engaging and have a good sense of humor, the setting is fascinating, and the action scenes are very well done. I definitely recommend this series to fans of historical fantasy with a large dash of romance. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 17, 2012 |
Mom freaked out when she saw us, of course.

Gabi knows she’s left her heart in the fourteenth century and she persuades Lia to help her to return, even though they know doing so will risk their very lives. When they arrive, weeks have passed and all of Siena longs to celebrate the heroines who turned the tide in the battle against Florence—while the Florentines will go to great lengths to see them dead. But Marcello patiently awaits, and Gabi must decide if she’s willing to leave her family behind for good in order to give her heart to him forever.

When Gabi and Lia return to medieval Italy with their mother, they find a heroes' welcome from the people of Siena and enemies that wish them dead.

70 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,709,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible