Cascade by Lisa T. Bergren
    Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren (Anonymous user)

Review of both Cascade and Torrent together

OK, the good part of this trilogy is that it's fascinating, adventurous, full of extreme danger and often almost miraculous escape from it. River of Time is rush, bold and breathtaking.

On the other hand, as long as you know that this is pretty much a teenage girl's fantasy in la-la land, you are fine.

I can't wrap my head around Gabi's stupidity and lack of instinct of self-preservation. Sure let's sneak out past Marcello's guard and save the world despite him being of this era, knowing all the risks and trying to prevent Gabi from committing a virtual suicide. The girl lacks common sense so much I wanted to smack her and smack her hard. I really don't know how she survived all her trials...

Then comes the matter of Black Death. What on Earth was THAT?! First, Luca contracts it and deteriorates way tooo fast. But wait. Next time we see him, he is miraculously cured. What?! I've no idea what happened, and it irked me to no end.

My issue with this series is that despite it being hugely entertaining, most of the problems Gabi brings on herself trying to play a superhero. Secondly, there is no consideration of the butterfly effect. You know, the whole Bettarini bunch changing the past hugely all the time? Yeah, that one.

My last problem is that most of the situations are repetitions of what already happened. If Waterfall was refreshing and unique, the rest two books were annoying and improbable. Gabi is way far from a Christian ideal. She kills and she maims, but where is her remorse? Where is her PTSD? She is just a teenage girl, but her behaviour is not adequate to what she has to go through.

So, yeah. A great read with lots and lots of flows very much like Steel by Carrie Vaughn which made pirates look like cartoonish version of the real deal.

If you want to read a really good time travel book, I highly recommend The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Personal Reaction:Tons of action, adventure, and romance. The book picks up were the other one left off and you are instantly sucked back in. The love story continues and you fall more in love with the characters. The characters are easy to relate too and are excellent role models for teens. They demonstrate strength of character, problem solving skills, leadership abilities, positive attitudes, and strong family connection.
Classroom Extension: Connect with 1400 Century, Sienna, Italy, medieval weaponry. This is a fantastic series for young adults, and I would add this to any Middle School and High School library shelf. I would happily recommend it to anyone who enjoys YA fiction. ( )
  LorraineAllen | Jan 23, 2015 |
This amazing series, set in Italy in 1342, continues where book #1 stopped. At the end of “Waterfall,” when we last saw Gabriella and Lia, they had been forced to return to modern times due to Gabriella’s poisoning. Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/cascade-lisa-t-bergren/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I loved being back in this world and in Gabi's head. She is so fierce, open, and so easy to pull for. I wanted the best for her, and of course, I desired to see her and Marcello reunited.
On this trip back in time, Gabi, Lia, and their mother show up, and it doesn't take long for the action to get going. There are still skirmishes, the threat of the plague coming, Rossi, danger, love, and adventure that fill the pages, and I was sucked into the story.
So many things were moving this plot forward as well as letting me get to know not only Gabi and Marcello better but also Lia and Luka, their mom, and through Gabi's memories, their father. You really see what people are made of when those around them are hurt or sick, when your land, home and those you love are threatened. We see Gabi in some really tough spots, with huge decisions on her shoulders, and I couldn't help admire how she faces it all with bravery, common sense, loyalty and love.
The ending was a pleasant surprise, and I can't wait to see how things go in the next book especially with the new plot developments towards the end. I have never been more eager to go back in time!

Bottom Line: Great second book. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Dec 15, 2013 |
*Originally Reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

This book didn’t grab me as much as the previous one. I still enjoyed reading it, but this time there were some things that bothered me tremendously. Like when they discover someone who has the plague. Gabi immediately orders anyone who has been in contact with the person (she, Marcello, Lia , Luca and some of the knights) to go in quarantine and don’t be in the vicinity of other people for a duration of 10 days. When they have to flee before the ten days are over, she turns a deaf ear to her sound advice and doesn’t even think about the people she meets and who help her ( no problem if the enemy catches it ;) )! She doesn’t even warn them!
And the people who do have the plague are better way too soon. If someone is suffering from the plague, which is most certain deadly, it’s not possible to be up and running within days… at least I haven’t heard or read of something like that happening.

Gabi started to annoy me a little. She sometimes acted without ever thinking about what consequences her actions would have. In the first book I kinda overlooked this because she just arrived there, but now? After some time, you would get used to think before you act, wouldn’t you? Since some of her actions already had consequences in the first book, I thought she must have learned something from that, but apparently not.
Another fact that bothered me was that, after spending more than two days in the burning sun with no water (which makes you very weak and can kill you) she was all better a couple of hours after she drank some water…. That’s just not possible, your body needs more time to recover from it.

Little side note: Noticed Luca somewhere saying: I could sail the seven seas… Seven seas? I doubt they knew there were seven at that time ;)

My overall rating of this book is still, despite my remarks (okay I can be a nit-picker ;) ) is 4 hearts. Quite enjoyed reading it and I’m patiently (so not ;) ) waiting till the next and last book comes out in September. And for those of you who are wondering: Marcello is continues to be a true knight in shining armor. Even in this book I wasn’t able to find a single flaw in him ;) ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Aug 9, 2013 |
Mom freaked out when she saw us, of course.

Gabi knows she’s left her heart in the fourteenth century and she persuades Lia to help her to return, even though they know doing so will risk their very lives. When they arrive, weeks have passed and all of Siena longs to celebrate the heroines who turned the tide in the battle against Florence—while the Florentines will go to great lengths to see them dead. But Marcello patiently awaits, and Gabi must decide if she’s willing to leave her family behind for good in order to give her heart to him forever.

When Gabi and Lia return to medieval Italy with their mother, they find a heroes' welcome from the people of Siena and enemies that wish them dead.

61 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible