Cascade: A Novel (River of Time Series) by…

Cascade: A Novel (River of Time Series) (edition 2011)

by Lisa T. Bergren (Author)

Member:KeriLynneD
Title:Cascade: A Novel (River of Time Series)
Authors:Lisa T. Bergren (Author)
Info:David C. Cook (2011), Edition: New, 416 pages
Rating:*****

Cascade by Lisa T. Bergren

Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren (Anonymous user)

I don't understand all the bad reviews about this book! So, I'm going to debunk some of the arguments crazy readers used to write bad reviews.
Time change: No, it was 3 months difference. Some say that because of the plague, it has to be later, and no. She explains that there probably were smaller outbreaks of the plague BEFORE The Plague hit Europe.
The mother? Some people freak out because she's left behind for a lot of the book. But if she HAD tagged along through the entire book, the story wouldn't have worked out the same. She probably would have gotten captured, and screwed everything up for everyone else in the story. Her staying behind at the castle was the only way the plot could've worked.
Also, the novel doesn't claim to be a wonderful historical fiction book. Yes, it does inform you on several points in history, BUT, if you actually read the preface, Lisa Bergren writes "I see the backdrop of politics and history as seasoning to the fictional stew." She knows that it isn't exactly historical, but it is still a story, BASED back in that time.
There, I feel better now. This is a wonderful series, and I cannot wait to get my hands on book 3. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
I think I liked this one even better than the first! It definitely left me wanting more and I can't wait to get ahold of the next book in the series! I loved that their mom was able to go with them this time and at least this time their skill level is a little bit more believable since they have been through so much already. I love that the author puts in a note explaining the territories of the time and how she did make some changes for the good of the story. Definitely recommend this series to anyone who loves Outlander and time travel stories! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Aug 3, 2018 |
3.5 stars. Silly at times, but irresistibly fun, like the first in the series. Lagged a bit in the middle of the story. It probably suffers a little bit from being the middle book of the trilogy.

Bring on Book 3! ( )
  TheEditrix | Jan 13, 2016 |
Review of both Cascade and Torrent together
3.5/5

OK, the good part of this trilogy is that it's fascinating, adventurous, full of extreme danger and often almost miraculous escape from it. River of Time is rush, bold and breathtaking.

On the other hand, as long as you know that this is pretty much a teenage girl's fantasy in la-la land, you are fine.

I can't wrap my head around Gabi's stupidity and lack of instinct of self-preservation. Sure let's sneak out past Marcello's guard and save the world despite him being of this era, knowing all the risks and trying to prevent Gabi from committing a virtual suicide. The girl lacks common sense so much I wanted to smack her and smack her hard. I really don't know how she survived all her trials...

Then comes the matter of Black Death. What on Earth was THAT?! First, Luca contracts it and deteriorates way tooo fast. But wait. Next time we see him, he is miraculously cured. What?! I've no idea what happened, and it irked me to no end.

My issue with this series is that despite it being hugely entertaining, most of the problems Gabi brings on herself trying to play a superhero. Secondly, there is no consideration of the butterfly effect. You know, the whole Bettarini bunch changing the past hugely all the time? Yeah, that one.

My last problem is that most of the situations are repetitions of what already happened. If Waterfall was refreshing and unique, the rest two books were annoying and improbable. Gabi is way far from a Christian ideal. She kills and she maims, but where is her remorse? Where is her PTSD? She is just a teenage girl, but her behaviour is not adequate to what she has to go through.

So, yeah. A great read with lots and lots of flows very much like Steel by Carrie Vaughn which made pirates look like cartoonish version of the real deal.

If you want to read a really good time travel book, I highly recommend The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Personal Reaction:Tons of action, adventure, and romance. The book picks up were the other one left off and you are instantly sucked back in. The love story continues and you fall more in love with the characters. The characters are easy to relate too and are excellent role models for teens. They demonstrate strength of character, problem solving skills, leadership abilities, positive attitudes, and strong family connection.
Classroom Extension: Connect with 1400 Century, Sienna, Italy, medieval weaponry. This is a fantastic series for young adults, and I would add this to any Middle School and High School library shelf. I would happily recommend it to anyone who enjoys YA fiction. ( )
  LorraineAllen | Jan 23, 2015 |
Mom freaked out when she saw us, of course.

Gabi knows she’s left her heart in the fourteenth century and she persuades Lia to help her to return, even though they know doing so will risk their very lives. When they arrive, weeks have passed and all of Siena longs to celebrate the heroines who turned the tide in the battle against Florence—while the Florentines will go to great lengths to see them dead. But Marcello patiently awaits, and Gabi must decide if she’s willing to leave her family behind for good in order to give her heart to him forever.

When Gabi and Lia return to medieval Italy with their mother, they find a heroes' welcome from the people of Siena and enemies that wish them dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,438,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible