The Vanishing Violin by Michael D. Beil

The Vanishing Violin

by Michael D. Beil

I love these books. They remind me of my friends and how crazy we are. Love mysteries!!! ( )
  fourheadjen | Mar 12, 2012 |
After the success of their first case, the Red Blazer Girls get wound up in a mystery about a missing violin. The girls encounter multiple puzzles as they race to crack the case.

RESPONSE: This book was quite witty and interesting. The girls speak in a natural way, and the banter was both familiar and hilarious. The puzzles were also pretty neat, though I must admit I skipped some and just went to the end of the book for the answer. I really didn't feel like putting the book down and grabbing pen and paper to work a pig pen code. I could see the codes being popular with children, though. Kudos for having the answers at the back for us sleepy college students!

THEMES/CONCEPTS: Mystery, adventure, New York City, contemporary life, puzzle solving, friendship, girl power
  eurbanowicz | Jun 6, 2011 |
This was a great book. I had the privilege of reading a great tween detective book that was full of puzzles. I found myself stopping to try them out. This is something I believe most students will really enjoy. I was well written and kept me turning pages. This is the second book in the Blazer Girls series. In this book the girls have already solved one mystery and have formed a detective agency. Their next case involves finding out who has broken into their school and is "fixing" things. Little did they know that solving that mystery would help them solve an even bigger case, a case involving a valuable violin, that has been stolen. This book will capture the attention of a lot of middle grade girls as it deals with "first boyfriends" and other changes that happen in the middle grade years. Definitely one I recommend. ( )
  skstiles612 | Oct 31, 2010 |
Seventh-graders Sophie, Margaret, Rebecca, and Leigh Ann follow a trail of cryptic clues to locate a rare violin, catch the person sneaking into St. Veronica's School for late-night cleaning and redecorating, and outsmart a conniving classmate. ( )
  prkcs | Sep 8, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375861033, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2010: The feisty and brainy girl sleuths from St. Veronica's School are hot on the trail of a valuable violin gone missing in The Vanishing Violin, the second installment in this breakout middle-grade mystery series from newcomer Michael D. Beil. There is much to love about a girl-power series focused on something other than fashion, boys, and mean girls. You won't find any Gossip Girls in this crowd, but rather a top-notch crew of tween investigators featuring twelve-year-old Sophie St. Pierre (who chronicles the cases), future Mensa-candidate and musician Margaret Wrobel, the razor-sharp Rebecca Chen, and creative-type Leigh Ann Jaimes. Collectively they thrive on good humor, intriguing puzzles, cross-town adventures, and plenty of sweets from the local coffee shop (Perkatory). Infused with contemporary humor and situations, The Red Blazer Girls offer readers a fresh take on Nancy Drew-inspired mysteries-meets Harriet the Spy. A very smart and rewarding pick for active middle grade readers. --Lauren Nemroff

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

11 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,559,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible