A Night to Remember by Walter Lord

A Night to Remember (original 1955; edition 1981)

by Walter Lord (Author)

Member:rastaphrog
Title:A Night to Remember
Authors:Walter Lord (Author)
Info:Bantam Books (1981), Edition: 43rd printing
Collections:History, Read but unowned

A Night to Remember by Walter Lord (1955)

102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers by Jim Dwyer (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Both use same technique of minute-by-minute disaster survivor vignettes.
    Titanic: A Night Remembered by Stephanie Barczewski (waltzmn)
    waltzmn: Books about the Titanic are a dime a dozen; I have ten or so. Few are more significant that A Night to Remember. But it is a thin book, and there are more details elsewhere. Of those other books, Stephanie Barczewski's is among the best -- new enough to use the information from the rediscovered wreck, well-researched, and full.… (more)
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (dara85)
    dara85: Sinking of the Titanic
    The Wreck of the Titan by Morgan Robertson (bookymouse)
    The Night Lives On: The Untold Stories & Secrets Behind the Sinking of the Unsinkable Ship-Titanic by Walter Lord (dukeallen)
    Raise the Titanic! by Clive Cussler (dukeallen)

English (45)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (47)
My older brother was semi-obsessed with the Titanic. I remember a mass market paperback edition of this book living our bookshelves the whole time I lived at home. I know I started it a couple of times when I was a kid but never got very far.

When I was planning books for the most recent Bout of Books week I started browsing for highly rated shorter audiobooks and this popped up so I checked it out from the library.

I'm so glad I did. I know why this is such a classic among books about the sinking. It really does focus on the events of that one night starting when the lookout first sighted the iceberg. Once the survivors are picked up by the Carpathia the next morning there is very little follow up on anything that happened afterwards.

Published in 1955 it was obviously written long before the wreck was found and the breakup of the ship confirmed. It was written, however, when Lord had access to survivors and he interviewed many of them.

The audio narrated by Martin Jarvis was extremely well done. I like his voice and narration already. There are many many names and people and I quickly gave up trying to keep track of all of them. Some are mentioned many times and others only once so I didn't let it bother me.

This was an excellent audiobook and I highly recommend it.

Lord wrote a follow up after the wreck was discovered and I plan to read it.

SuziQoregon | Sep 12, 2018 |
There are lots of Titanic books out there. This is one of the best. ( )
  DanDiercks | Jun 18, 2018 |
My fascination with the Titanic began from an early age. I'm not quite sure what it stemmed from but I've sought out materials on the subject, read as many articles I can, and studied museum exhibits for long periods of time because of this seemingly unhealthy obsession. Lord's book brought it out again and I was delighted to read a thoroughly detailed and chronologically exact account of the sinking of this famous ship.

I appreciated the fact that when Lord compiled his research, many of the survivors and related parties were still alive and therefore accessible to provide near accurate information on exactly what took place surrounding this disaster.

Because of this high level of detail, it sometimes became difficult to follow along with the amount of names presented, however it was interesting to see the parallels among these various perspectives.

For anyone with a keen interest in the Titanic and its history, this book is a must-read. ( )
  ThePdawg | Jan 14, 2018 |
Book on CD read by Walter Jarvis

On April 15, 1912, the greatest ship to ever sail struck an iceberg and sank in the North Atlantic. This is a chronological tale of what the people aboard the Titanic recall of that night’s events.

This is a re-read. I first read it before I joined either Shelfari or Goodreads, so I have no record of when I read it. I believe it was in the 1980s; I know it was long before the hugely successful movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. If memory serves, I re-read it at about the time the movie was released. So this is my third reading.

It’s a gripping story, and Lord does a great job of bringing all these people to life. I get a real sense of the confusion and disbelief when the ship first strikes the iceberg. And later, of the chaos and panic when it is clear she will go down, and there are not enough lifeboats for everyone aboard to safely get away.

Lord used transcripts of testimony given by many people during the inquiry following the disaster, as well as personal interviews with survivors and relatives of those lost at sea, as well as people who were aboard the Carpathia which picked up all the lifeboats and returned with them to New York. The text edition I had included some photographs, as well as a full list of the passengers.

Walter Jarvis does an okay job of reading the audio version, but I really disliked his voice. Still, he did convey a sense of urgency as he related the events of that horrible night. ( )
  BookConcierge | Apr 4, 2017 |
Just went to see H&W shipyard in Belfast for the Titanic Experience. "You were there" reading. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |

Lord, Walterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jarvis, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verga, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
High in the crow's nest of the New White Star Liner Titanic, Lookout Frederick Fleet peered into a dazzling night.
This is the book A Night to Remember ; please don't combine with the 1958 movie of the same name!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805077642, Paperback)

James Cameron's 1997 Titanic movie is a smash hit, but Walter Lord's 1955 classic remains in some ways unsurpassed. Lord interviewed scores of Titanic passengers, fashioning a gripping you-are-there account of the ship's sinking that you can read in half the time it takes to see the film. The book boasts many perfect movie moments not found in Cameron's film. When the ship hits the berg, passengers see "tiny splinters of ice in the air, fine as dust, that give off myriads of bright colors whenever caught in the glow of the deck lights." Survivors saw dawn reflected off other icebergs in a rainbow of shades, depending on their angle toward the sun: pink, mauve, white, deep blue--a landscape so eerie, a little boy tells his mom, "Oh, Muddie, look at the beautiful North Pole with no Santa Claus on it."

A Titanic funnel falls, almost hitting a lifeboat--and consequently washing it 30 yards away from the wreck, saving all lives aboard. One man calmly rides the vertical boat down as it sinks, steps into the sea, and doesn't even get his head wet while waiting to be successfully rescued. On one side of the boat, almost no males are permitted in the lifeboats; on the other, even a male Pekingese dog gets a seat. Lord includes a crucial, tragically ironic drama Cameron couldn't fit into the film: the failure of the nearby ship Californian to save all those aboard the sinking vessel because distress lights were misread as random flickering and the telegraph was an early wind-up model that no one wound.

Lord's account is also smarter about the horrifying class structure of the disaster, which Cameron reduces to hollow Hollywood formula. No children died in the First and Second Class decks; 53 out of 76 children in steerage died. According to the press, which regarded the lower-class passengers as a small loss to society, "The night was a magnificent confirmation of women and children first, yet somehow the loss rate was higher for Third Class children than First Class men." As the ship sank, writes Lord, "the poop deck, normally Third Class space ... was suddenly becoming attractive to all kinds of people." Lord's logic is as cold as the Atlantic, and his bitter wit is quite dry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Recounts the demise of the "unsinkable" Titanic, the massive luxury liner that housed extravagances such as a French "sidewalk cafe" and a grand staircase, but failed to provide enough lifeboats for the 2,207 passengers on board.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,987,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible