Faith: A Novel (P.S.) by Jennifer Haigh

Faith: A Novel (P.S.) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Haigh

Member:kak57910
Title:Faith: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Jennifer Haigh
Info:Harper Perennial (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, abuse, books on CD, 2013

Faith by Jennifer Haigh

This was an okay book. Jennifer Haugh is a good writer. I'm not Catholic nor am I religious so I'm not sure why I picked up this book. I do remember this happening back in 2002 in Boston and wondering what was wrong with the Catholic church to allow pedophiles to live in the system. I'm also Lutheran so I don't understand why priests can't get married. Might solve a lot of these issues. Jennifer does a nice job of you getting to know a little bit of the characters. She doesn't go too into too depth of character and so I really didn't have too much compassion for them. But if you like this sort of book you will enjoy it. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Jennifer Haigh must have made a decision when she was writing Faith to keep a distance between the reader and the subject matter of this novel. She kept the point of view to Sheila McGann, while the vast majority of the story belongs to her half brother, Arthur Breen, a Boston area priest who has been accused of molesting a young boy. Haigh, as Sheila, speaks directly to the readers, even addressing them at least once as “Reader.” She relates the process she went through as she learned the truth about her brother and the other people involved. When she tells about scenes she couldn't see, she carefully clarifies that she is “imagining” what went on. This was the perfect choice for the subject. I felt emotion at the right times, but the distance helped me keep my mind open to all sides of this topic. It also helped me understand that the novel is not only about child abuse among the clergy. It's also about family issues, church politics, poor choices within relationships, and the influence of faith on decisions made by people with human failings.

Faith has a number of twists and turns that I do not want to reveal, so I will keep this review short. It is a wonderful book with strong characters. It helped me think about its subject in ways I had not considered previously. I think it's a perfect novel for bookclub discussions.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
  SteveLindahl | Mar 9, 2016 |
I read this book from cover to cover in less than a day. I could not put it down, it spoke to my heart in ways I cannot even verbalize. ( )
  crazeedi73 | Jan 30, 2016 |
It's a fight you'll never win
And now you bow your head in shame
For a sin no one forgives

-- Dropkick Murphys, "This Is Your Life"

He lives for God, who lives by the Rule. -- St. Benedict
For Jimmy, my first friend
Here is a story my mother has never told me.
Love to marriage to home and family: connect those dots, and you get the approximate shape of most people's lives. Take them away, and you lose any hope for connection. You give up your place in the world.
In his view, no eight-year-old has mastered the cheap ruses of adulthood. When kids lie, they don't want to be believed; their deepest wish is to be known and understood. For my brother this is a point of faith; a child will tell the truth if he feels safe and accepted. All you have to do is gain his trust.
It was a thing I had always known but until recently had forgotten: that faith is a decision. In its most basic form, it is a choice.
As always, her worries seemed larger at night. It happens to us all, Father Art had once told her. The dark night of the soul.

Your brother is the popular, dynamic pastor of a large suburban parish. He finds himself at the centre of a very public scandal, and he refuses to defend himself. You believe he is innocent; but your younger brother believes he is guilty.

Could you keep the faith?

Sheila McGann is estranged from her complicated family. But when her older brother Art, pastor of a large suburban parish, finds himself at the center of a scandal, Sheila returns to Boston, ready to fight for him. Her strict mother lives in a state of angry denial; her younger brother Mike has already convicted his brother in his heart. But most disturbing of all is Art himself, who persistently dodges Sheila's questions and refuses to defend himself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,446,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible