Faith: A Novel (P.S.) by Jennifer Haigh

Faith: A Novel (P.S.) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Haigh

Member:wendyrs
Title:Faith: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Jennifer Haigh
Info:Harper Perennial (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:**1/2

Faith by Jennifer Haigh

I read this book from cover to cover in less than a day. I could not put it down, it spoke to my heart in ways I cannot even verbalize. ( )
  crazeedi73 | Jan 30, 2016 |
Not much action in this book. Things move slowly. I didn't really care for the characters either-none were people that I would care to know. The book does make me wonder how many accusations made against priests might have been groundless. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
It's a fight you'll never win
And now you bow your head in shame
For a sin no one forgives

-- Dropkick Murphys, "This Is Your Life"

He lives for God, who lives by the Rule. -- St. Benedict
For Jimmy, my first friend
Here is a story my mother has never told me.
Love to marriage to home and family: connect those dots, and you get the approximate shape of most people's lives. Take them away, and you lose any hope for connection. You give up your place in the world.
In his view, no eight-year-old has mastered the cheap ruses of adulthood. When kids lie, they don't want to be believed; their deepest wish is to be known and understood. For my brother this is a point of faith; a child will tell the truth if he feels safe and accepted. All you have to do is gain his trust.
It was a thing I had always known but until recently had forgotten: that faith is a decision. In its most basic form, it is a choice.
As always, her worries seemed larger at night. It happens to us all, Father Art had once told her. The dark night of the soul.

Your brother is the popular, dynamic pastor of a large suburban parish. He finds himself at the centre of a very public scandal, and he refuses to defend himself. You believe he is innocent; but your younger brother believes he is guilty.

Could you keep the faith?

Sheila McGann is estranged from her complicated family. But when her older brother Art, pastor of a large suburban parish, finds himself at the center of a scandal, Sheila returns to Boston, ready to fight for him. Her strict mother lives in a state of angry denial; her younger brother Mike has already convicted his brother in his heart. But most disturbing of all is Art himself, who persistently dodges Sheila's questions and refuses to defend himself.… (more)

122 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,052,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible