Assembling California by John McPhee

Assembling California

by John McPhee

450None23,111 (4.24)9

Assembling California is the fourth volume of John McPhee's books chronicling the geology and geologists of North America, collectively titled Annals of the Former World. While describing the continent from the far eastern extent of Interstate 80 to its western terminus in California, McPhee travelled not only much of the continental United States, but various parts of the world, in the company of geologists who had spent their lives learning and discerning, reading the rocks which lie beneath our feet and tower above our heads. From these travels came the three previous books of the Annals, Basin and Range, In Suspect Terrain, and Rising from the Plains.

In this final volume, written over some fifteen years, McPhee writes of the geological mysteries and fascinations of California, as elucidated for him by Eldridge Moores, then a geologist at UC Davis. With Moores, McPhee will travel the length and breadth of the Golden State, beginning in the mid-1970s, and ending his discussion of the geology of California in the late 1980s.

The book concludes with the tragic events of the 17 October 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, in which 63 people died and thousands were left injured or homeless. As the quake struck at 5:04pm, shortly before the beginning of Game Three of the 1989 World Series, the earthquake itself was caught live on television before the feed from the stadium was lost - an historic first.

McPhee is a writer of sumptuous, ebullient prose. His descriptions evoke the whole sense of landscapes in Assembling California, just as they did for Wyoming in Rising from the Plains. There is a touch of surprising humour here and there in his books, but you can't sleepwalk through McPhee. He doesn't pull any punches, and if you are not a geologist or enthusiastic amateur, you'll want some maps and a good dictionary close to hand (I would recommend The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Earth Sciences by Allaby and Allaby, or Dictionary of Geological Terms by Bates & Jackson, but any one will do). Indeed, a set of rock samples would be helpful, as in the sort of kit easily obtainable for use in Science Olympiads, scouting, or other such similar pursuits. Geology is in many ways a visual science, and seeing, touching, and feeling the texture of a rock can be more helpful to learning about it than an entire semester in the classroom.

The fact that some assistance would be helpful doesn't reflect poorly on McPhee, a Pulitzer Prize winning author, though. It reflects the complexity and difficulty of his subject matter, which is compellingly woven not only with history, but with the personalities of the scientists with whom he travels. Apart from Stephen Jay Gould, I have difficulty thinking of another author who has done more to write accessibly and beautifully about geology. In all honesty, this is a book that you need to read again after the first reading. When I'll find the time to re-read the whole set I don't quite know.

I've grown up with McPhee – he was always one of my father's favourite writers. I read the first volume of the Annals for a course in physical science twenty years ago, and, after buying the final volume while vacationing in the San Francisco area in the spring of 2010, I was determined to finish it before a return trip to the Bay Area a year later. (An aside: I bought Assembling California not at City Lights, who couldn't be bothered to stock it or have staff capable of telling me that they didn't have it, but at the California Academy of Sciences, which is an amazing trip, well-worth making - even if they hide their minerals - nestled as it is in Golden Gate Park by the also-fabulous DeYoung Museum of Art). Having read McPhee on the long geological process that has built California, I feel certain that I got just that much more out of the trip. While having the Roadside Geology of Northern and Central California at my side will be a safe bet, having McPhee's book will provide additional context, and no doubt make me that much more of a bore to my children and spouse.

That, though, is a chance that I'm willing to take. Highly recommended.
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
It is hard to imagine that a book on geologic history could be as fascinating and dazzlingly written as this is. The author takes the reader on a geological field trip across North America along Interstate 80. In the course of the journey, he combines travelogue, geologic history and human history with some of the finest writing I have come across. What makes this book even more of an achievement is the author’s ability to convey subject matter that is so complex and potentially dry in such an engrossing manner. In the course of the book, the reader begins to understand the vastness of geological time and the tremendous forces that were required to shape the landscape. Sometimes, the feat is accomplished with breathtaking ease, as when he states, “The summit of Mt. Everest is marine limestone.” This is a long book at almost 700 pages, and it is filled with complex terminology (I’m still not completely sure what an orogeny is), but it is well worth the effort. It will change the way you think about the world.
  kbroenkow | Sep 5, 2007 |
I liked this book the best of all of McPhee's geology works. His explanations were easy to understand and his last chapter on the Loma Prieta earthquake was worth the price of the book. ( )
  berylmoody | Nov 10, 2006 |
To Kenneth Stover Deffeyes
You go down through the Ocean View district of San Francisco to the first freeway exit after Daly City, where you describe, in effect, a hairpin turn to head north past a McDonald's to a dead end in a local dump.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374523932, Paperback)

As an explainer, John McPhee is a national treasure. The longtime "New Yorker" staff writer has taken us inside the world of art museums, environmental groups, fruit markets, airship factories, basketball courts, and atomic-bomb labs the world over. Here he covers the complex geological history of California, the source of much news today. As Californians daily await the inevitable great earthquake that will send their cities tumbling down like so many matchsticks, McPhee piles fact on luminous fact, wrestling raw data into a beautifully written narrative that gainsays a sedimentologist's warning: "You can't cope with this in an organized way," he told McPhee, "because the rocks aren't organized." As always, McPhee enlarges our understanding of the strange, making it familiar--and endlessly interesting.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:47 -0400)

25 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible