His for the Holidays by Josh Lanyon

His for the Holidays

by Josh Lanyon (Contributor), Harper Fox (Contributor), L.B. Gregg (Contributor), Angela James (Editor), Z.A. Maxfield (Contributor)

Mistletoe at Midnight
Ooohwee! What a great start to this anthology! We have a sexy veterinarian and a sexy professor, two men who loved each other back in high school and meet up again 15 years later. I loved this story. There's even a cute little beagle. LOL You know an author is truly talented when she can pack as much story as she did into a small amount of pages. We learn Owen and Caleb's backstory and get caught up on their present, as well as meet Owen's family. Well-rounded out characters and some great sexual tension. Loved the ending. Hot stuff!

Nine Lights over Edinburgh
Ok, I hate to say it, but this one...I had my doubts when I first started reading it. Like a forty year old alcoholic cop? As much as I love my cops in m/m...alcoholics are a touchy point with me. But I truly enjoy Harper's writing and I forged on and the I was so very glad I did. Nine Lights is a great story and I truly came around to McBride's tale. He was wounded and flawed and he found himself a great man. And I thought the subject matter, human trafficking would be too much. But that plot was sufficiently in the background enough (never mind that McBride's daughter was kidnapped because of it) that it didn't take away from the budding romance and rebalancing of McBride's life. Strong writing and I really liked McBride in the end. And Toby...can't I get a YUM??

I Heard Him Exclaim
I've really truly enjoyed everything I've read by ZAM and I Heard Him Exclaim was no exception. Poppy was a sweetie pie and Steve and Chandler were great characters. I like how Steve's recent health scare made him appreciate each day and not to look gift horses in the mouth. This was a good balance to Chandler's worry about raising Poppy and worrying about what people think of him. Good stuff. And hot (sex in a pantry, woot woot). Again, the characters were well written, even the secondary ones. Steve's family, his sister in particular, are fun.

Icecapade
Everything Josh Lanyon writes is full of awesome. I like the dynamics between a former cat burglar and the FBI agent who was after him ten years ago. Truly good stuff! Icecapade begins with Noel waking up after a drunken night with Robert Cuffe, the FBI agent who's been on his tail for years. He sneaks off with his stolen diamond but with a pang in his heart - he liked Robert but he doesn't want to go to jail. Ten years later, Noel is now an author. An author who's main character is a jewel thief and in his latest book has just come out, as being in love with the man who's chasing him, a character based on Robert. Noel has decided not to call Robert on New Years anymore when the man himself shows up on his doorstep, claiming Noel has masterminded the latest string of jewel heists. Noel knows he's innocent and despite his claims, Robert is still a hard nut to crack and he knows Robert doesn't believe him. He also knows Robert still wants him. And that gives him hope.

Icecapade was the perfect ending to this anthology. Despite Noel's past, he's still a redeemable character and I was definitely hoping he'd get his man. I thought showing Robert how he's changed, with all the little adventures with his neighbours, was cute and fun. And I like how Robert kept Noel on his toes. That is one sexy copper.

Overall, I'm giving His for the Holidays an A . Four excellent authors and four excellent stories. I highly recommend reading this anthology and even gifting it to your friends.
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
Mistletoe at Midnight

Nine Lights over Edinburgh

I Heard Him Exclaim

Icecapade

ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
Reread for m/m team bingo special holiday theme challenge. ( )
  Nightcolors | Apr 8, 2013 |
Well, this is my first m-m book and I have to say, it's so much more than I expected from the genre. I especially loved the fact that most stories seem to emphasize the emotional rather than the sexual part of the heroes' relationship.Mistletoe at Midnight - 4.5 starsA sweet and tender but sometimes funny story about two men who started a relationship as teens, only to meet again unexpectendly 17 years later. The whole family of one of the heroes is in attendance at this rustic lodge, trying to bring them together again and many funny scenes, especially with the hero's mother, take place that had me laughing out loud sometimes. On the other hand, there were many emotional scenes too, especially of their past and how difficult it must have been for two boys to admit they're attracted to each other while in high school. I felt connected with the heroes, their heartaches, their desires and pretty much everything. This was my second favorite of the bunch.Nine Lights Over Edinburg - 3.5 starsThis was the darker of the four stories and too much time was spent on the suspense rather than the romance. The hero is pretty much an alcoholic cop, whose life is shattered when he first meets a Mosad agent who saves his life and shorty after that, when his daughter gets kidnapped by a trafficing crime lord. There were a few things I thought were very unrealistic, like the lengths to which Tobias would go to help a man he's barely met and who was, pretty much, an alcoholic, without any obvious redeeming qualities. On the other hand, it felt difficult to put down and I did fall for the attraction that sprung so quickly between those two. So, while it had its weaknesses, I enjoyed it as a whole.I Heard Him Exclaim - 2 starsWhat can I say? I found the whole premise of this completely unrealistic and just couldn't get into it because of that. A man who's recently became the guardian of a 5 year-old girl, is scared to death of this responsibility and refuses to let her out of his eyes, agrees to get in the car and later spend Christmas with a man he's just met. I just couldn't buy it. And then, well, it felt for me as if Steve was too much what Chandler needed at that time; someone to lean on. Would Chandler fall for him in other circumstances or was their romance fueled by Chandler's need for someone strong he can depend on? I was never fully sure of that and so I couldn't warm up to them. Icecapade - 5 starsDina's review of this story is what made me try the whole book and I'm glad for it! The story was as good as she said it would be and more. Noel has been a retired thief for years when Robert, an FBI agent with whom he's shared one hot night ten years ago, catches up with him. Noel, may have been a thief, but he's the sweetest, most loving one I've read about and hadn't he been gay and a figment of Lanyon's imagination to boot, I'd love to spend some 'quality' time with him:) Robert was cooler, a silent man, but that personna fitted with the story well and though he spoke little, I did feel his attraction and deep feelings for Noel. Being a man of the law, it mustn't be easy for him to admit he trully cared for the man he was supposed to catch, even to himself. A very emotional and engaging story, that I'd love to read again in the future. ( )
  faniP | Aug 24, 2012 |
Mistletoe at Midnight by LB GreggThis author is one of those talented writers who can make you care about 2 characters in a very short word count and pack enough in to make the HEA totally believable. There were a few little niggles I had about how things came together but it could well have been that I missed a sentence here or there when I was reading - (ie, How did Meg and Ryan know each other? Are they dating?) - it's probably there and I missed it. A really good short story and Owen's family was a hoot - especially his irreverent brother Ryan! (Also, nice cover!).Nine Lights Over Edinburgh by Harper FoxThis is a story of a divorced alcoholic policeman (James) (sound sexy huh?) who is trying to bring down a criminal who kidnaps women and girls and sells them to the highest bidder. He meets a Mossad agent (Tobias) who is in the UK on secondment to a politician's security detail and then his daughter is taken by the criminal. James and Tobias have little time to find James' daughter before she is sold herself. I was a bit worried about whether there'd be "inappropriate sex" - after all James' daughter has just been abducted and I thought *sexy times* in those circumstances would be... off. Well, I needn't have worried. There is sexual tension and a bit of fooling around but mostly the focus is on getting the child back safely. After (it's not a spoiler that she's found is it?), that's when there's *sexy times*. So, on the one hand, there wasn't enough sex but on the other it would have been inappropriate to put more in really. I don't think the suspense plot was all that plausible but I did enjoy the relationship between James and Toby. And, James did turn out to be quite sexy. Go figure.I Heard Him Exclaim by ZA MaxfieldThis one was my favourite of all four books in the anthology. Chandler has been appointed the guardian of his newly orphaned niece, Poppy and is taking her to his parents house where he plans to hand her over to them, feeling inadequate to raise her, as much as he loves her. On the way, he meets up with Steve, who isn't feeling the Christmas spirit this year - until he meets Chandler that is. The relationship between Poppy and Chandler was especially well done and I really liked how the relationship developed between the two men. I would have liked a little more between the last chapter and the epilogue - I wanted to know how Chandler decided to keep Poppy and more on how she was doing after the death of her parents, but I understand the space constraints of the format. Nevertheless, a really good sexy story. Icecapade by Josh LanyonFormer jewel thief Noel Snow and FBI agent Robert Cuffe hook up in this one. It felt a bit short to me and I would have liked a little more depth. Still, a pleasant story which encourages me to read more Lanyon - I think I may prefer a longer story from him - because I really liked the style and wanted to know more about Noel and Robert. ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
added by gsc55 | editBoy meets Boy reviews, Breann (Dec 23, 2013)

Lanyon, JoshContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fox, HarperContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gregg, L.B.Contributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
James, AngelaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Maxfield, Z.A.Contributormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Hope brightens a bleak Edinburgh December. A man gets a second chance with his high school crush. A decade-long game of cat and mouse comes to a passionate conclusion. And Santa Claus drives a red muscle car. Heat up your holidays with this collection of four festive tales from some of the top talent in the male/male genre. [Carina Press]

Contents
Mistletoe at Midnight by LB Gregg - Nine Lights Over Edinburgh by Harper Fox - I Heard Him Exclaim by Z.A. Maxfield - Icecapade by Josh Lanyon

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,631,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible