Grace Interrupted (A Manor House Mystery) by…

Grace Interrupted (A Manor House Mystery) (edition 2011)

by Julie Hyzy

Member:woodbear
Title:Grace Interrupted (A Manor House Mystery)
Authors:Julie Hyzy
Info:Berkley (2011), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, eBooks, Series, Suspense/thriller/mystery/procedural

Grace Interrupted by Julie Hyzy

English (11)  Piratical (1)  All languages (12)
Book number two in the Manor House Mysteries has Marshfield Manor grounds overrun by a group of Civil War re-enactors. They are just looking for a peaceful, quiet, “authentic” place to practice for the big Gettysburg gathering later in the year, but all hopes of being left alone are shattered when the apparent soon-to-be-elected leader is found stabbed. He seemed to make a lot of enemies, not the least of which was the Manor’s chief landscape gardener, Jack Embers. Now Grace has to investigate to clear Jack’s name.

Well, seriously, does Grace really have to get embroiled in this mess? Yes, Emberstown is a small town and the police force lacks experience with major crime investigation, but they’re not entirely without resources. Oh, well, it wouldn’t be a cozy mystery without some amateur sleuth inserting herself into the investigation.

I like Grace, but I really do not understand her relationship with Jack – at all. He’s brooding, uncommunicative, and obviously has lots of baggage. Drop him! I’m also picking up clues as to her relationship with the wealthy owner of Marshfield Manor – Bennett. (Though for all her sleuthing, Grace seems clueless about this.) Her roommates, Scott and Bruce, are a delight, and I wish they had more to do with the story than encourage her to keep the stray cat. The character I like the best, however, is the irascible assistant, Frances. What a hoot she is. And I’m sure that we’ll eventually find out what she does on her “private” weekends away from the Manor. ( )
  BookConcierge | Sep 8, 2016 |
Marshfield Manor, a stately home/museum run by our heroine Grace Wheaton, is over run with Civil War re-enactors. Then things go horribly wrong when one of the group’s leaders, Zachary Kincade, is found dead. Turns out his family and the family of Jack Embers, Marshfield Manor’s landscaper and someone Grace is fond of, have a long history. More than a decade ago Kincade’s brother was murdered and many think Jack Embers or his brother Davey killed him.

When the police fixate on Jack and Davey, Grace is equally certain neither of them could be killers. Grace feels she has to intervene somehow. But she’s overly cautious to not intrude on the police investigation. And she enlists her assistant, Frances, to help her. Frances is a magnet to gossip and only to happy to dress the part of a re-enactor and spend some time in the camp to snoop.

On the home front, Grace takes in a stray cat – whom her roommates name Bootsie – and finds out she’s allergic. She’s growing more and more attached to little Bootsie, despite the sneezing and wheezing, but knows she has to make an effort to get her back to where she belongs.

This is a delightful cozy series, and Grace is a terrific heroine. And I love how Julie Hyzy gets right into the murder, with no shillyshallying. I’m finding that many cozy authors seem to forget that a murder mystery is about the murder. I hate wading through pages and pages of “stuff” to get to the main event. I’m not a big fan of a lot of romance in mysteries, but I seem to be in the minority on that. That’s OK, as the author gets the balance just right. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jan 20, 2016 |
Grace Interrupted is the second book in the Manor House series by Julie Hyzy.

The Manor House has agreed to rent some land at the edge of the estate so that a Civil War re-enactment group could recreat some battle scenes. The group has an understanding that they are to have compete privacy while setting up camp. Grace arrives at work to find security with two women who have tried to get into the encampment. The soldier has a run in with the Manor's gardener and his brother. A short time later the soldier is found dead. Gracie doesn't believe Jack, the garderner, or his brother had anything to do with the murder. So it is up to Gracie to learn the real story.

This series has some wonderful characters, Mr. Bennett, the owner of the Manor, the gardener, Jack and Gracie's assistant. Francis is a total pain to Gracie but will provide the reader with a few smiles.

This is a great story and I am sure that Grace and her staff will keep you entertained. ( )
  FredYoder | May 8, 2015 |
Great read, hoping to get my hands on the rest of the series soon. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Nov 18, 2014 |
Grace Interuppted is the second book in the Manor House series by Julie Hyzy.

yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |
For anyone who has ever opened heart and home to a stray.
The two women glared at me with such sizzling fury I was afraid their eyeballs might catch fire.

Civil War re-enactors have set up camp on the grounds of Marshfield Manor. The group is very believable, especially when the unrest spills out of the barracks and into the sumptuous mansion. Grace manages to settle a minor squabble, but loses the war when actor Zachary Kincade is found stabbed to death.

Jack Embers, the groundskeeper, falls under suspicion when he's linked to the death of Zachary's brother years ago, but there were others out for Zachary, actors who can be very convincing when the coveted role of "general" is on the line. Grace feels responsible for finding the murderer ... and for the sweet tuxedo kitten, Bootsie, found on her doorstep. Can she come to the rescue of her friends without putting herself in danger's way?

Grace investigates the murder of a Civil War re-enactor and also rescues a stray cat on the grounds of Marshfield Manor.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,399,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible