Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library…

Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jenn McKinlay

Member:smilinkyn
Title:Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery)
Authors:Jenn McKinlay
Info:Berkley (2011), Edition: 2nd Print, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay (2011)

English (43)  Piratical (1)  English (44)
Gets four stars because of the atmosphere and setting. The mystery is kind of weak. The author doesn't present many suspects. Also, it's a little hard to believe the amateur detective, a librarian, couldn't dig up more about the murder victim, either with tools at her library, or tools that friends at other libraries might have access to. I work in an academic library, not a public library, but the depiction of a small-town public library rang pretty true to me. ( )
  Beth3511 | Oct 27, 2016 |
I thought the plot was predictable in a lot of ways, but enjoyable with a nice plot twist. Overall I wasn't impressed enough with the book to continue reading the series, but it wasn't terrible. ( )
  TeeMc | Mar 11, 2016 |
I enjoyed this series - set in New England which I always like and the main characters are librarians so there are references to books that was great. It is a good new cozy series. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Lindsey Norris is just getting into her new job as library director at Briar Creek, Connecticut, when her best friend and fellow-librarian Beth Stanley is suspected of the murder of her long-time beau, Rick Eckman. Right before the murder, the couple had broken up, nastily and loudly in the local pub.

Lindsey was never a fan of Rick Eckman, believing he was cruel to Beth, crushing her aspirations to be a writer of children’s book. Eckman himself was an award-winning writer/illustrator of children’s books. Soon, Lindsey and Beth discover that Rick had misrepresented himself in countless ways during the couple’s five-year romance. It seems that Beth didn’t really know Rick at all. If Lindsey and Beth can figure out who Rick REALLY was, they may be able to steer police to some likely suspects. Turns out, Rick had a long list of people he had offended in some way and our sleuths are eager to find them.

This series by Jenn McKinlay is dubbed a “library lover’s mystery” and I fall into that category. The behind-the-scenes peeks readers get into the workings of a library are just plain fun. Yet, the author balances the scene-setting, with the mystery that is the reason for the book. The “romance” that is sprinkled throughout is not too much – something most cozy authors don’t seem to get right in my opinion.

I plan to read all the books in this series, and will add them to my list of favorites. Also on that list are Jenn McKinlay’s cupcake-store and hat-store mysteries. She does a bang-up job of all of them! ( )
  NewsieQ | Feb 20, 2016 |
Entertaining librarian mystery. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |
Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest.
-- LADY BIRD JOHNSON
For my brilliant agent, Jessica Faust.
I have been very fortunate to spend my formative years and my adult years working in a variety of positions in many different libraries. [from the Acknowledgments section]

'Oh, I just love that Maxim de Winter,' Violet LaRue said, her knitting needles clicking together as if to emphasize her words. [from the novel itself]
As always, Lindsey felt all of her troubles ease once she was back among the familiar. Just seeing the names on the spines of the books was like calling hello to old friends. They had always given her solace in their steadfastness, and she valued each and every one more than she could ever say. (chapter 12)

"Lindsey is getting into her groove as the director of the Briar Creek Public Library when a New York editor visits town, creating quite a buzz. Lindsey's friend Beth wants to sell the editor her children's book, but Beth's boyfriend, a famous author, gets in the way. When they go to confront him, he's found murdered-and Beth is the prime suspect. Lindsey has to act fast before they throw the book at the wrong person."--Amazon.com… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,703,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible