Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library…

Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jenn McKinlay

Member:smilinkyn
Title:Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery)
Authors:Jenn McKinlay
Info:Berkley (2011), Edition: 2nd Print, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay (2011)

English (45)  Piratical (1)  All (46)
This murder mystery features Lindsey Norris, director of the Briar Creek Public Library. When her friend Beth's boyfriend, a famous author, is found dead, she has to help clear her name and find the real killer. This is the first book in the Library Lover's series.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 13, 2016 |
Gets four stars because of the atmosphere and setting. The mystery is kind of weak. The author doesn't present many suspects. Also, it's a little hard to believe the amateur detective, a librarian, couldn't dig up more about the murder victim, either with tools at her library, or tools that friends at other libraries might have access to. I work in an academic library, not a public library, but the depiction of a small-town public library rang pretty true to me. ( )
  Beth3511 | Oct 27, 2016 |
I thought the plot was predictable in a lot of ways, but enjoyable with a nice plot twist. Overall I wasn't impressed enough with the book to continue reading the series, but it wasn't terrible. ( )
  MystereityReviews | Mar 11, 2016 |
I enjoyed this series - set in New England which I always like and the main characters are librarians so there are references to books that was great. It is a good new cozy series. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest.
-- LADY BIRD JOHNSON
For my brilliant agent, Jessica Faust.
I have been very fortunate to spend my formative years and my adult years working in a variety of positions in many different libraries. [from the Acknowledgments section]

'Oh, I just love that Maxim de Winter,' Violet LaRue said, her knitting needles clicking together as if to emphasize her words. [from the novel itself]
As always, Lindsey felt all of her troubles ease once she was back among the familiar. Just seeing the names on the spines of the books was like calling hello to old friends. They had always given her solace in their steadfastness, and she valued each and every one more than she could ever say. (chapter 12)

"Lindsey is getting into her groove as the director of the Briar Creek Public Library when a New York editor visits town, creating quite a buzz. Lindsey's friend Beth wants to sell the editor her children's book, but Beth's boyfriend, a famous author, gets in the way. When they go to confront him, he's found murdered-and Beth is the prime suspect. Lindsey has to act fast before they throw the book at the wrong person."--Amazon.com… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jenn McKinlay's book Books Can Be Deceiving was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,488,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible