Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library…

Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery) (edition 2011)

by Jenn McKinlay

254None44,818 (3.81)34
Member:smilinkyn
Title:Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery)
Authors:Jenn McKinlay
Info:Berkley (2011), Edition: 2nd Print, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay

Good set up for A Library Lover's Mystery series. There is a cast of a thousand here but she does excellent world building for her series. We are introduced to the townspeople of Briar Creek, CT and learn the relationships. We get the past of some but it is not detailed. I liked these characters and am planning to read other books in the series (I've already got them.) I like Lindsey. I'll have to see where romance may lie for her. I also like her friends. This time Beth, a college friend and the children's librarian in Briar Creek, is the only suspect in the murder of awarding winning author Rick Eckman. Lindsey knows that Chief Daniels is not planning on looking beyond Beth so she knows she has to help. I did figure out who the murderer was but not the why. I liked how the mystery played out. Good start for the series. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Feb 9, 2014 |
Nice start to a cozy mystery series. Likable characters and setting. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
I received this book for free from Member's Giveaway. What a cute little murder mystery. Every now and then I need a break from dreary, horror and dismal books to give me a lift. This book served its purpose. The premise is one of the librarians finds her boyfriend murdered and all fingers point to her. However, after her and another librarian do some digging and detective work, nothing is at all as it seems with her exboyfriend and the past life he led.

For the rest of the review, visit my book blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/63335.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Nov 19, 2013 |
In addition to this new series, McKinlay also writes the Fairy Tale cup cake series and writing as Lucy Lawerence the Decoupage Murder Mysteries.

This is a great story, with very interesting characters and a beautiful setting on the coast of Connecticut.

Lindsey Norris Has moved to Briar Creek, CT to become the director of the local library.

She has started a group called Crafternoons. Lindsey and some of the residents spend an hour knitting and discussing there book of the week. We also meet Beth who handles the children's section, Ms. Cole, known also as "the Lemon" a tow the line librarian and the lovable 80 year old Milton.

Beth has aspirations of writing childrens books and it is learned that an editor from New York will be in town. It has been arranged that Beth will meet with her and discuss her book. While Lindseey and Beth are having supper at The Blue Anchor Cafe. While there, Beth's boyfriend, Rick, comes in and is told about meeting with the editor. He flies into a rage, telling Beth her book is garbage. Of course there is the big split up and Beth makes the unfortunate statment that she would like to kill him. The next day Beth finds out the her boyfriend has stolen her book idea and the book is due out shortly. Beth, along with Lindsey go out to the island where Rick lives only to find him dead from a stab wound. The local police feel that Beth has to be the killer.

So Lindsey starts to look into this gruesome matter and finds out that Rick is actually someone else. Lindsey and the Crafternoons set out to clear Beth name.

This is a real fun read and highly recommend this new series.

yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |
Lindsey Norris, former archivist and now library director at Briar Creek Public Library in Connecticut, sets out to prove that her children's librarian and friend from library school days, Beth Stanley, is not the murderer the local police chief wants to believe she is. With a charming cast of local characters, a book discussion of Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca in the book's opening chapters, a pleasant setting, and a state investigator who appears to have more intelligence than the local chief, this cozy has a lot going for it. It is one of my favorite discoveries of 2013, and I look forward to the next installment. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jun 1, 2013 |
Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest. - Lady Bird Johnson
For my brilliant agent, Jessica Faust.
I have been very fortunate to spend my formative years and my adult years working in a variety of positions in many different libraries.

"Lindsey is getting into her groove as the director of the Briar Creek Public Library when a New York editor visits town, creating quite a buzz. Lindsey's friend Beth wants to sell the editor her children's book, but Beth's boyfriend, a famous author, gets in the way. When they go to confront him, he's found murdered-and Beth is the prime suspect. Lindsey has to act fast before they throw the book at the wrong person."--Amazon.com… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible