Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library…

Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery) (edition 2011)

by Jenn McKinlay

Member:smilinkyn
Title:Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery)
Authors:Jenn McKinlay
Info:Berkley (2011), Edition: 2nd Print, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay

English (37)  Piratical (1)  All languages (38)
In addition to this new series, McKinlay also writes the Fairy Tale cup cake series and writing as Lucy Lawerence the Decoupage Murder Mysteries.

This is a great story, with very interesting characters and a beautiful setting on the coast of Connecticut.

Lindsey Norris Has moved to Briar Creek, CT to become the director of the local library.

She has started a group called Crafternoons. Lindsey and some of the residents spend an hour knitting and discussing there book of the week. We also meet Beth who handles the children's section, Ms. Cole, known also as "the Lemon" a tow the line librarian and the lovable 80 year old Milton.

Beth has aspirations of writing childrens books and it is learned that an editor from New York will be in town. It has been arranged that Beth will meet with her and discuss her book. While Lindseey and Beth are having supper at The Blue Anchor Cafe. While there, Beth's boyfriend, Rick, comes in and is told about meeting with the editor. He flies into a rage, telling Beth her book is garbage. Of course there is the big split up and Beth makes the unfortunate statment that she would like to kill him. The next day Beth finds out the her boyfriend has stolen her book idea and the book is due out shortly. Beth, along with Lindsey go out to the island where Rick lives only to find him dead from a stab wound. The local police feel that Beth has to be the killer.

So Lindsey starts to look into this gruesome matter and finds out that Rick is actually someone else. Lindsey and the Crafternoons set out to clear Beth name.

This is a real fun read and highly recommend this new series. ( )
  FredYoder | May 9, 2015 |
Jenn McKinlay's "Books Can Be Deceiving" revolves around Lindsey Norris, director of the public library in the tiny town of Briar Creek. Her best friend and children's librarian Beth has a nasty break-up with her boyfriend just before he's found dead, so it's up to Lindsey (with some help from her "crafternoon" group) to solve the case before Beth is put behind bars.

Plot: While not anything too unique, the mystery itself is well-paced and interesting. It was pretty much exactly what you would expect from a cozy mystery. There were some intriguing details that turned out not to lead... anywhere, really, which was disappointing. It's not that they were red herrings, which you would expect, it's that they were brought up once and dropped almost immediately (Ruby island, anyone?).

Writing: I have to say, I was not impressed with the writing style. The dialogue was unnatural, often sounding like a commercial. At one point, Beth and Lindsey go to their favorite diner and have the following exchange:

"What are you going to have?" Beth asked as soon as they sat down.

"Lobster roll," Lindsey said. ... "Mary's lobster roll always drips with butter, and she uses those split-top rolls that she toasts on the side. Okay, I think I'm drooling."

Beth laughed. "Don't forget the coleslaw with those diced green olives in it. It's the best." (page 35)

Besides the sometimes cringe-worthy dialogue, there are also instances where the text itself is awkward. Cliches appear on nearly every other page, and there was this beauty, which I'm shocked an editor didn't catch:

"Milton and his wife had refurbished the old house, ripping out the nasty carpet someone had put over the original hardwood floors and having custom-made windows that resembled the originals but were energy-efficient installed." (page 204)

Most of it is perfectly fine, but sentences like that one were jarring in an otherwise comfortable story.

Characters: Truthfully, I found Lindsey to be rather dull (oh, her fiance burned her and so she swore off men, only to find Captain "Sully" Sullivan attractive? Yawn). The ones who stole the show for me were the crafternooning group, who were just the right blend of maternal, nosey, and absolutely fun. They were an absolute kick and I loved every moment with them. The rest weren't terrible, but mainly bland - they were given "quirks", such as the sheriff being bumbling and incompetent, or the eighty-year-old man who does yoga, but that doesn't take the place of characterization.

Recipes: There are recipes included in the back which I'm eager to try!

Overall, it's pretty typical of the cozy mystery genre, with an emphasis on romance and food and [insert hobby here], but if you're a fan of that, then this book will probably be enjoyable, if not necessarily a favorite.

kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |
I was in the mood to read a quickish cozy mystery and this one fit the bill. As always the cover and setting really pulled me in and made me want to read it. A librarian turns out to be the sleuth and all goes along fairly predicitably in order to solve the murder. The town here is populated with familiar standards and a delightful "crafternoon" group that meet and chat over their group book, knit and if they're lucky, have a bowl of some of the best chowder in town. The murder victim was a real piece of work and I admit that I didn't find myself so sad to see him go but the why of his murder was intriguing. Lindsey, the librarian puts the pieces together well enough but there are a few things she doesn't do which made me question her researcher skills. I can only suppose that her doing them would have solved the murder too soon and would have deprived us of her perilous audience with the murder to have the confession.

The back of the book has a two recipes referenced in the book (Sully's Hot Chocolate & Mary's Clam Chowder) both of which I want to make as they're described as being all kinds of delish in the story. Also there's a knitting pattern for the hat Leslie was working on for her father during the Crafternoons. All in all, this delivered as a cozy mystery, I'm glad that I picked this one up at the library and I'll read the next in the series. ( )
  anissaannalise | Aug 26, 2014 |
A cute cozy mystery. Not a lot to it, but an enjoyable read for those who are looking for this type of story. I may read another, if only to see if anything blossoms in the romance department.
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
BOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING was an entertaining cozy mystery. Lindsay is new at the Briar Creek Public Library. She came there after losing her job in an academic library and shedding her cheating fiance.

Her best friend Beth is the children's librarian. Beth is also an aspiring author who is dating a famous children's author. When Beth shows her portfolio to a visiting editor, she is surprised to be called a plagiarist because her boyfriend Rick is set to publish an extremely similar book. When Beth visits the now ex-boyfriend with Lindsay and a local ship's captain, she finds that he has been brutally murdered. The local police chief is convinced that Beth is the murder.Since Lindsay refuses to believe that Beth murdered her plagiarizing ex, she begins her own investigation and discovers interesting and disturbing things about Rick.

I liked Lindsay's new group of friends at the library. The book had some laugh out loud moments when describing Lindsay's attempts to learn the various crafts that were done as a part of the crafting book club. I liked the references to other books and authors. I liked that Lindsay knew the favorite authors of many of her patrons. I liked that Lindsay was beginning to feel at home in Briar Creek.

Fans of cozies and libraries will enjoy this entertaining story. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 24, 2014 |
Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest.
-- LADY BIRD JOHNSON
For my brilliant agent, Jessica Faust.
I have been very fortunate to spend my formative years and my adult years working in a variety of positions in many different libraries. [from the Acknowledgments section]

'Oh, I just love that Maxim de Winter,' Violet LaRue said, her knitting needles clicking together as if to emphasize her words. [from the novel itself]
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Center Point Large Print Edition):

The text of this Large Print edition is unabridged. In other aspects, this book may vary from the original edition.

Library of Congress cataloging-in-publication data are provided.

[noted opposite the title page] This Large Print book carries the seal of approval of N.A.V.H. [National Association for Visually Handicapped]

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental. The publisher does not have any control over and does not assume any responsibility for author or third-party websites or their content.

PUBLISHER'S NOTE: The recipes in this book are to be followed exactly as written. The publisher is not responsible for your specific health or allergy needs that may require medical supervision. The publisher is not responsible for any adverse reactions to the recipes contained in this book.

DUST JACKET'S BACK FLAP INFORMATION:

Books are produced in the United States using U.S.-based materials.

Books are printed using a revolutionary new process called THINKtech(TM) that lowers energy usage by 70% and increases overall quality.

Books are durable and flexible because of smythe-sewing.

Paper is sourced using environmentally responsible foresting methods and the paper is acid-free.
As always, Lindsey felt all of her troubles ease once she was back among the familiar. Just seeing the names on the spines of the books was like calling hello to old friends. They had always given her solace in their steadfastness, and she valued each and every one more than she could ever say. (chapter 12)

"Lindsey is getting into her groove as the director of the Briar Creek Public Library when a New York editor visits town, creating quite a buzz. Lindsey's friend Beth wants to sell the editor her children's book, but Beth's boyfriend, a famous author, gets in the way. When they go to confront him, he's found murdered-and Beth is the prime suspect. Lindsey has to act fast before they throw the book at the wrong person."--Amazon.com… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,500,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible