Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library…

Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery) (edition 2011)

by Jenn McKinlay

Member:smilinkyn
Title:Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery)
Authors:Jenn McKinlay
Info:Berkley (2011), Edition: 2nd Print, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay

Cute little cozy mystery. It was a really quick read, with fun characters. Looking forward to the next book. ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
So, I bought this book upon recommendation from a booktuber that I subscribe to on youtube. And I am glad I picked it up, even if I don't think the book was as amazing as she said.
It's easier to put my thoughts into list form, so:
1. I thought it was kind of slow. Granted, I finished it in two days, but it isn't very long and the pages are small, so it's not a difficult read. But it took about 150 pages to actually get into the mystery! I also felt like there wasn't as much sleuthing as I'd like. Lindsey mainly just makes a lot of phone calls and goes on two trips or so. I just wish there had been more action.
2. I liked the actual mystery, I thought it was well developed, but it came together so fast at the end and I thought the reveal was a little forced. At the end, when the murderer is with Lindsey and Beth, I felt like there was no way the murderer would be giving up all this information on his/her own. I know that there has to be some reveal so we know exactly what happened, but the murderer was virtually unprompted! He/she just basically told them how they'd done it and why of their own accord, which seemed unrealistic to me.
3. I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel, though I would like to find out what happens between Lindsey and Sully.....
4. Sometimes the timeline didn't make sense with respect to the character's pasts. Like Lindsey and Beth had been in grad school together ten years earlier, but Beth was only 32 and had been working at Briar Creek for ten years. Wouldn't she have graduated with a BA at 22 then gone on to grad school and graduated at a minimum age of 24 making her only able to work there for 8 years before the story started? Minor detail, and I may have misunderstood some things, but it just confused me while reading.
5. I did really like the characters, and the author painted a lovely picture of Briar Creek. All the inhabitants of the town are fleshed out well, and I really could envision the setting!
6. That being said, I felt like there was too much detail. We are told every single thing Lindsey does down to the color of the memo pad she writes down someone's number. It definitely didn't work well for me in a mystery, because it made everything move slower. There was a lot of mundane details that could have been left out.

I did enjoy the book, made for a nice, fun, light read!
  elezotte | May 7, 2014 |
Quick read. Didn't anticipate the ending, though! Going to start the sequel right now! ( )
  mzundercover | Apr 26, 2014 |
  mzundercover | Apr 26, 2014 |
Good set up for A Library Lover's Mystery series. There is a cast of a thousand here but she does excellent world building for her series. We are introduced to the townspeople of Briar Creek, CT and learn the relationships. We get the past of some but it is not detailed. I liked these characters and am planning to read other books in the series (I've already got them.) I like Lindsey. I'll have to see where romance may lie for her. I also like her friends. This time Beth, a college friend and the children's librarian in Briar Creek, is the only suspect in the murder of awarding winning author Rick Eckman. Lindsey knows that Chief Daniels is not planning on looking beyond Beth so she knows she has to help. I did figure out who the murderer was but not the why. I liked how the mystery played out. Good start for the series. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Feb 9, 2014 |
Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest.
-- LADY BIRD JOHNSON
For my brilliant agent, Jessica Faust.
I have been very fortunate to spend my formative years and my adult years working in a variety of positions in many different libraries. [from the Acknowledgments section]

'Oh, I just love that Maxim de Winter,' Violet LaRue said, her knitting needles clicking together as if to emphasize her words. [from the novel itself]
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

The text of this Large Print edition is unabridged. In other aspects, this book may vary from the original edition.

Library of Congress cataloging-in-publication data are provided.

[noted opposite the title page] This Large Print book carries the seal of approval of N.A.V.H. [National Association for Visually Handicapped]

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental. The publisher does not have any control over and does not assume any responsibility for author or third-party websites or their content.

PUBLISHER'S NOTE: The recipes in this book are to be followed exactly as written. The publisher is not responsible for your specific health or allergy needs that may require medical supervision. The publisher is not responsible for any adverse reactions to the recipes contained in this book.

DUST JACKET'S BACK FLAP INFORMATION:

Books are produced in the United States using U.S.-based materials.

Books are printed using a revolutionary new process called THINKtech(TM) that lowers energy usage by 70% and increases overall quality.

Books are durable and flexible because of smythe-sewing.

Paper is sourced using environmentally responsible foresting methods and the paper is acid-free.
As always, Lindsey felt all of her troubles ease once she was back among the familiar. Just seeing the names on the spines of the books was like calling hello to old friends. They had always given her solace in their steadfastness, and she valued each and every one more than she could ever say. (chapter 12)

"Lindsey is getting into her groove as the director of the Briar Creek Public Library when a New York editor visits town, creating quite a buzz. Lindsey's friend Beth wants to sell the editor her children's book, but Beth's boyfriend, a famous author, gets in the way. When they go to confront him, he's found murdered-and Beth is the prime suspect. Lindsey has to act fast before they throw the book at the wrong person."--Amazon.com… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,485,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible