Pumped for Murder: A Dead-End Job Mystery by…

Pumped for Murder: A Dead-End Job Mystery (edition 2011)

by Elaine Viets

Member:AllisonKraft
Title:Pumped for Murder: A Dead-End Job Mystery
Authors:Elaine Viets
Info:NAL Hardcover (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages

Pumped For Murder by Elaine Viets

Meh, a few too many plot points. ( )
  MystereityReviews | Mar 11, 2016 |
Never a dull moment, I even tempted motion sickness to finish this one in the car! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | May 12, 2014 |
Synopsis: Being married to Phil and continuing to live in the Coronado Apartments is wonderful. Beginning their private investigation business isn’t so easy. Helen is once again in a dead-end job as a receptionist in a gym, but this time it’s undercover as a private investigator. The deaths in the gym and the drug abuse that can be associated with professional body sculpting add to the confusion around a wandering husband and suicide investigations that Phil and Helen took from their first clients.
Review: Well-crafted and entertaining, ‘Pumped for Murder’, provides realistic insight into gym memberships and family relationships. ( )
  DrLed | Dec 1, 2013 |
Pumped for Murder by Elaine Viets was a great cozy, a fast, not let you go read. This is the tenth in a series about dead end jobs.

There were two mysteries plus something carried over from the previous books that I didn't really understand. It seems that her very young nephew hit her ex husband with a metal baseball bat, I won't say any more about that. But I was confused enough to wonder about about the main character's morals. Helen Hawthorne was a great character otherwise. I want to go back and start the series at the beginning to find out about the baseball bat business.

Helen is the one who ends up in dead end jobs for each book, this time she was working in a fitness gym and I really got interested in the fitness fanatics and the competitive body builders. Some of the descriptions would make me want to read them over again, they were so colorful. Helen sets out to investigate the husband of her client to see who he is builing his muscles for but there is a murder in the gym and was the most interesting part of the book for me.

The second mystery that Helen and her new husband were investigating was to find whether a car refurbisher's brother committed suicide or murder. That one was more complicated. When reading this cozy, I thought it was like getting two cozies in one.

I highly recommend it but if you haven't read the previous books, you may be as lost as I was about the metal bat. ( )
  Carolee888 | Oct 4, 2012 |
Helen Hawthorne fled from Missouri to Florida so she could avoid paying half of her earnings to a deadbeat, unfaithful scumbag of an ex-husband. In order to fly below the radar, she took dead-end jobs at which she could be paid under the table. Now that she’s squared everything with the Missouri courts and married the love of her life, she can leave the world of dead-end jobs behind, right?

Not so fast. Now she and husband Phil are back in Florida, where they have started their own private detective agency; their first case involves conducting surveillance of a possibly-cheating husband while he works out at his upscale health club. The easiest way to do that is for Helen to take a job as a receptionist at said health club.

Nothing every goes according to plan for Helen, though. A murder at the health club complicates matters for her, especially when a sweet, little, old lady is arrested for the crime and Helen doesn’t believe for minute that she did it. A second case for Helen and Phil involves a long-ago death police and medical examiner wrote off as a suicide. That one could get dangerous. And then there’s some unfinished business back in St. Louis, and Helen has to fly to the rescue of her sister. “Oh, what a web we weave …” and all that.

I thought Helen might lose her edge after getting married, but thankfully that’s not the case. This is one of my all-time favorite series, which just keeps getting better and better. Long live Helen Hawthorne! ( )
  NewsieQ | Jul 19, 2011 |

Helen Hawthorne and her new husband, Phil, have just opened a private investigation business. Their first client asks them to watch her husband, who she believes is body building at a gym to impress another woman. This leads Helen to another dead-end job, working as a receptionist at Fantastic Fitness, which requires her to workout as well. Meanwhile, Coronado Investigations takes on a decades-old murder case, keeping Helen busy and exhausted.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,066,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible