Now It Is Summer by Eileen Spinelli

Now It Is Summer (2011)

by Eileen Spinelli

In this text, a young mouse is obsessed with the coming of autumn. Meanwhile, his mother continually reassures him that it is coming but also advises him to enjoy the splendor of summer while it's happening. Familiar theme for children, waiting for what's next rather than enjoying what's happening at the moment. Always in a hurry. Good scaffold. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
beautiful language, mouse family, thinking of autumn when it is summer ( )
  melodyreads | Oct 14, 2011 |
This title describes the seasons and the longing for autumn fun, even though it is summer now. The book is beautifully illustrated and focuses on a family of mice. The poetic story has a cadence that young readers will enjoy, and the idea of a family of mice enjoying the seasons is sure to capture their imagination.

From the book's description:

As a young mouse eagerly looks forward to everything that autumn will bring — friends at school, fallen leaves to play in, pumpkins to carve — his mother gently encourages him to join in all the summery joys that surround him right now — dancing fireflies, sunny beaches, peaches fresh from the orchard. In this delightful tale, a follow-up to her book Now It Is Winter, Eileen Spinelli reminds readers of all ages that they can be content in the moment and find happiness wherever they are. Children are sure to love Mary Newell DePalma's soft and whimsical paintings of mice celebrating summer.

You can pick up a copy of this title at Amazon.com, or direct from Eerdmans Books.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by Eerdman Books for review. I was under no obligation to offer a favorable review. ( )
  bobhayton | Mar 12, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While the rest of the family is dressed for baseball, a young mouse sits dejectedly, clutching his football, his helmet atop his head. Written in a call and response format, in Now It Is Summer, a young mouse persistently queries his patient mother,

"Will it be autumn soon?
Will I leap luaghing into leaves
heaped high in the backyard?
Soon?

Yes, autumn will come,
but now it is summer.
Now you can tippy-toe
into the gurgling sufg.
Happy splashing!"

After each set of questions, mother mouse patiently encourages her son to enjoy the offerings of a summer day. Autumn will arrive soon enough.

The questions are ones to which children will easily relate, will we toast marshmallows, carve jack-o-lanterns, see the yellow school bus, etc.; and the ever-patient mother is the one that every mother aspires to be - easy-going and serene.

The illustrations are delightful, though in rather muted tones for summertime. The mice are apple-cheeked, with kind, expressive faces. Of particular interest to children will be the human-sized items used by the mouse family - dice for blocks, postage stamps for wall art, a potholder area rug.

This is a follow-up book to Now It Is Winter.

(LT early reviewers unbound copy) ( )
  shelf-employed | Feb 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I recieved an unbound (loose leaf) review copy of this book through Library Thing Reviewers. This is the latest book in Eileen Spinelli's "Now It is" series of books and it is very well illustrated by Mary DePalma.

I showed the book to my five-year-old and he said it looked boring and really didn't want to read it. He let me though, and he did enjoy it. Afterwords, I asked him why he thought it would be boring and he said that it was because the mouse with the helmet on looked bored on the front cover.

That bored looking mouse is constantly wishing that it was Autumn/Fall, but his mother reminds him what is currently happening in Summer.

To be honest, it isn't a "new favorite," but it was still nice. I REALLY wish the copy I received was bound together. After reading it, my two-year-old took it apart (my fault, I left it out), and it wasn't easy to figure out exactly how all the registers fit together (I think I have it right).

Because it wasn't bound, I can't talk about the binding (sturdy or not), and I am not familiar with the publisher (Eerdmans Books) enough to make an educated guess. ( )
  antmusic | Jan 24, 2011 |

A little mouse is eager for everything that autumn will bring: fallen leaves to play in, friends at school, carving pumpkins. But his mother helps him be content by reminding him of all the ways he can enjoy summer now.

A young mouse is encouraged by his mother to enjoy summer while waiting for autumn to come.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Eileen Spinelli's book Now It Is Summer was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,385,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible