Patient Zero: A Joe Ledger Novel by Jonathan…

Patient Zero: A Joe Ledger Novel (edition 2009)

by Jonathan Maberry

Member:ariaa03
Title:Patient Zero: A Joe Ledger Novel
Authors:Jonathan Maberry
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 421 pages
Rating:***

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry

Recently added bykgthor, private library, rangerfan, amobogio, Ghostly1, dm13
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (Joles)
    Joles: Undead creatures that reanimate with a nice bit of real-world science thrown in.
    Tooth and Nail by Craig Dilouie (magnumpigg)
    magnumpigg: Actually, this is my favorite Zombie book to date. The soldiers here are much more human and not quite as over-the-top heroic as Maberry's.
    The Breach by Patrick Lee (cdhtenn2k10)
    Pulse (A Jack Sigler Thriller) by Jeremy Robinson (cdhtenn2k10)
    The Dragon Factory by Jonathan Maberry (JacobDecker)
    JacobDecker: a continuation of this series.
    Resurrection: Zombie Epic by Tim Curran (magnumpigg)
    magnumpigg: again, noticed no mention in other recommend lists.
    Quarantined by Joe McKinney (magnumpigg)
    magnumpigg: fun zombie read. noticed it was not mentioned in the other recommend lists.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    Legacies by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Severance Package by Duane Swierczynski (JasonBrownPDX)
    Event by David L. Golemon (Scottneumann, cdhtenn2k10)
    Wet Work by Philip Nutman (ShelfMonkey)

I quickly fell in love with this book from the first line to the last it had me quickly reading it, which I do each time a new book is added to this series.
Joe Ledger is the everymans James Bond. All the Gadgets, All the knowledge, but twice is more relatable. From his troubled past to his troubled present I find him easily relatable.
I recommend this book to everyone who likes zombie thrillers, and being from Pittsburgh the home of the zombie, thats alot of people. ( )
  JacobDecker | Apr 22, 2014 |
I was a little nervous when I started reading this book. With issues of terrorism, patriotism, good vs. evil, and several Arab/Muslim bad guys, I worried this would turn into an us (white America) vs. them (all Arab/Muslims are extremist) trope.
That's not what this is. Not only that, but in the midst of this fast paced international zombie thriller, I did come away with a greater message.
Evil wears many masks, and no one people has the monopoly on extremist divisive destructive behaviors.
I'm not certain if this was Maberry's intended take away, but it was comforting to see nonetheless.
I must admit that Maberry really does zombie stories well. His strength lies in the fact that the zombies are simply the back drop. It is the characters, their very human weaknesses and challenges, that drive his stories. This makes the focus more realistic and easier to suspend disbelief.
Joe Ledger is a likable protagonist and hero and the multi-ethnic and multi-racial cast is refreshing. There were a lot of ways for this story to go wrong, but Maberry kept it tight and he kept out of the narrative. To me this is one of the marks of a good writer. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |
Great concept. Only thing I'd like to have seen more of is zombie action ( )
  shanafesta | Oct 21, 2013 |
I guess I found my next "go to between heavier books" series after I catch up the Dresden Files.

Not a whole lot to write really, it's a good solid fast read, I'm wavering between 3 and 4 stars - I liked it a lot, but I suspect there's more and better to come from this series, with 7 novels and a ton of short stories.

The zombies here are done wonderfully (science! zombies, not supernatural! zombies). The characters are a little stereotypical, but there's a wonderful amount of snark, although our hero does veer a little close to omnipotent badass of great justice, Marty Stu. I bet he's a gourmet chef too. There is, at least, backstory and a reason for his all around badassery that keeps him just this side of sympathetically human. Also he loves his cat, so even if he is a gourmet cook, I think I can stand him for a few more books.

The mystery is handled pretty well, I was actually suspicious of entirely the wrong person for most of the book, and yet still thought "oh of course" when the culprit was revealed. Yet I suspect that one of the reasons I don't give it 4 stars is that I mostly didn't care too much about the "who is the mole" mystery. I just won't miss that character, and it could have been any of a number of fairly throwaway characters, because there's a handful that are just too obviously redshirts.

krazykiwi | Sep 22, 2013 |
Not a genre that I would normally go for....but i did enjoy it :) ( )
  masonlou | Aug 24, 2013 |
Anyone who's read Jonathan Maberry's Pine Deep Trilogy, which culminated with last year's BAD MOON RISING, knows that the martial artist-turned-Bram Stoker Award-winning author likes his kill counts in the stratosphere.
added by stephmo | editFangoria (Jan 21, 2009)

Jonathan Maberryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bennett, JonathanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grom, RobCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Unhappy the land that is need of heroes. - Bertolt Brecht
Until the day of his death, no man can be sure of his courage - Jean Anouilh
Wild, dark times are rumbling toward us, and the prophet who wishes to write a new apocalypse will have to invent entirely new beasts, and beasts so terrible that the ancient animal symbols of St. John will seem like cooing doves and cupids in comparison. - Heinrich Heine
This book is dedicated
to the often unsung
and overlooked heroes
who work in covert operations
and the intelligence communities.
When you have to kill the same terrorist twice in one week, then there's either something wrong with your skills or something wrong with your world.

When you have to kill the same terrorist twice in one week there's either something wrong with your world or something wrong with your skills... and there's nothing wrong with Joe Ledger's skills.  And that's both a good, and a bad thing.  It's good because he's a Baltimore detective that has just been secretly recruited by the government to lead a new taskforce created to deal with the problems that Homeland Security can't handle. This rapid response group is called the Department of Military Sciences or the DMS for short. It's bad because his first mission is to help stop a group of terrorists from releasing a dreadful bio-weapon that can turn ordinary people into zombies. The fate of the world hangs in the balance....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:56 -0400)

Baltimore detective Joe Ledger leads a new task force created to deal with problems that Homeland Security can't handle. His first mission is to stop terrorists from releasing a bioweapon that can turn people into zombies.

Jonathan Maberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jonathan Maberry chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,651,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible