The hollow chocolate bunnies of the…

The hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Robert Rankin (Author)

Member:TheoClarke
Title:The hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse
Authors:Robert Rankin (Author)
Info:London : Gollancz, 2002. Hardcover. 342 pages.
Collections:Read but unowned, Purged
Rating:**
Tags:21st century, absurd, comedy, crime, detective, fairy tale, fantasy, fiction, first edition, hardcover, humour, metafiction, murder, mystery, novel, nursery rhyme, published 2002, satire, serial killer, sf, toy, UK author

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin (2002)

comedy (20) comic fantasy (6) crime (11) detective (13) Eddie Bear (11) fairy tale (5) fairy tales (14) fantasy (154) fiction (132) funny (5) humor (122) library (5) metafiction (5) murder (13) mystery (58) novel (11) nursery rhyme characters (4) nursery rhymes (29) own (5) paperback (6) Rankin (5) read (23) satire (17) science fiction (36) serial killer (9) sf (8) sff (11) to-read (30) toys (16) unread (11)

This book is tons of fun. I was having too much fun to realize until about halfway through what an awesome allegory it was too. I'd describe it as a lighter, wittier, but easier Wicked

Two of my particularly favorite moments:

‎"'As real as." said Eddie
'As real as what?' said Jack
'Wish I knew,' said Eddie 'But I can't do corroborative nouns. None of us are perfect, are we?'"

"Yet another theory is that there was more than one Humpty Dumpty, but no wall involved: one Humpty fell from the side of a grassy knoll and another from the window of a book depository. This is known as 'The Particularly Stupid Theory'." ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
The Chocolate bunnies are weird all right. Someone recommended them to me because I like to read Terry Pratchett. Well, if you are a discworld fan you won't find the bunnies are even in the same league. ( )
  Novak | Nov 20, 2013 |
I found this in many ways reminded me of Jasper Fforde's Nursery Crime series. I'm not sure which one was written first. I enjoyed reading both and while there were things that were similar there was plenty of originality that they were very different. Both Rankin and Fforde love to play word games with their characters but the games they play are a bit different. Rankin tends to be a bit dirtier/raunchier than Fforde.

Jack went seeking his fortune in the big city. After having a battle of wits with a fat farmer, Jack barely survives to reach the city. Once there he's robbed and left in an ally where Eddie Bear finds him. Eddie is a Teddie Bear and a Private Eye, however, being without dexterous digits, he needs a partner to help him out. His long time partner Bill Winkie has disappeared and Eddie needs a new partner to help him find out who's murdering the cities wealthy denizens.

Jack and Eddie go on many adventures trying to solve the cases and keep surviving to detect another day.

Very humorous book, good writing though some of the jokes may be hard to understand. It's a humorous, noir murder mystery with a bit of the outrageous thrown in. ( )
  readafew | Sep 24, 2013 |
When I started reading, I was not even remotely convinced that I would like this book. But by the end, I did. I really did!

Neither Eddie Bear nor Jack are particularly likeable characters in their own right - they are drunk, smarter-than-thou, and pretty ridiculous. However, as they begin investigating the murders of prominent Preadolescent Poetic Personalities, a rather charming friendship develops between them which carries the book through.

By the end, I was sad to leave Toy City, though it's now in good hands! Believe it or not, this book is about good and evil, life lessons, and relationships. Kind of like here in the outside world... ( )
  tulikangaroo | Jul 8, 2013 |
Fun and sometimes funny, and really good for a light read that doesn't take itself seriously. I'm not an enormous fan of Robert Rankin based on this book, but I'm certainly willing to pick up another should it cross my path. Which it will, since there's one on my shelf already.

The overall idea isn't that unusual: nursery rhyme characters being murdered, nursery rhyme characters investigate. (Hi, Jasper Fforde!) But this is a more cynical, more adult version, with a certain sting in the humour sometimes. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 28, 2013 |
This book is dedicated
to the memory
of Jon Jo
"Once upon a time," said the big fat farmer, "it was all fields around here."

Toy Town—older, bigger, and certainly not wiser. The Old Rich, who have made their millions from the royalties on their world-famous nursery rhymes, are being murdered one by one. A psychopath is on the loose, and he must be stopped at any cost. It’s a job for Toy Town’s only detective—but he’s missing, leaving only Eddie Bear, and his bestest friend Jack, to track down the mad killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:28 -0400)

Jack gets lost on his way to the city to make his fortune. He finds himself in Toy City, where a serial killer is on the loose. One by one, the old rich nursery rhyme characters, who made millions from royalties on their best-selling rhymes, are being slaughtered. Jack and Eddie Bear, a battered teddy bear, are challenged to solve the mystery.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible