The hollow chocolate bunnies of the…

The hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Robert Rankin (Author)

Member:TheoClarke
Title:The hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse
Authors:Robert Rankin (Author)
Info:London : Gollancz, 2002. Hardcover. 342 pages.
Collections:Read but unowned, Purged
Rating:**
Tags:21st century, absurd, comedy, crime, detective, fairy tale, fantasy, fiction, first edition, hardcover, humour, metafiction, murder, mystery, novel, nursery rhyme, published 2002, satire, serial killer, sf, toy, UK author

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin (2002)

Synopsis: Jack had decided to leave the factory where he makes clockwork items and journey to the city to make his fortune. His first night in the city he is rescued by Teddy, the bear of a detective who has mysteriously vanished. Now Jack and Teddy must find out who is killing off the wealthy nursery rhyme characters, as well as save themselves.
Review: Weird and quirky, this is fun to read. The plot is nicely involved leading the reader on a merry chase to the bad guys, then away, then back again. Nicely silly, it's hard to put down. ( )
  DrLed | Sep 13, 2014 |
I gave this book 4 stars because Rankin is such a clever writer. I enjoyed the quirky, comical prose more than the story itself. I'm not a fan of mystery detective stories so that was one downfall but it was original enough for me to enjoy it fully. I can't wait to check out another of his books, maybe without the detective plot next time. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
This book is tons of fun. I was having too much fun to realize until about halfway through what an awesome allegory it was too. I'd describe it as a lighter, wittier, but easier Wicked

Two of my particularly favorite moments:

‎"'As real as." said Eddie
'As real as what?' said Jack
'Wish I knew,' said Eddie 'But I can't do corroborative nouns. None of us are perfect, are we?'"

"Yet another theory is that there was more than one Humpty Dumpty, but no wall involved: one Humpty fell from the side of a grassy knoll and another from the window of a book depository. This is known as 'The Particularly Stupid Theory'." ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
The Chocolate bunnies are weird all right. Someone recommended them to me because I like to read Terry Pratchett. Well, if you are a discworld fan you won't find the bunnies are even in the same league. ( )
  Novak | Nov 20, 2013 |
I found this in many ways reminded me of Jasper Fforde's Nursery Crime series. I'm not sure which one was written first. I enjoyed reading both and while there were things that were similar there was plenty of originality that they were very different. Both Rankin and Fforde love to play word games with their characters but the games they play are a bit different. Rankin tends to be a bit dirtier/raunchier than Fforde.

Jack went seeking his fortune in the big city. After having a battle of wits with a fat farmer, Jack barely survives to reach the city. Once there he's robbed and left in an ally where Eddie Bear finds him. Eddie is a Teddie Bear and a Private Eye, however, being without dexterous digits, he needs a partner to help him out. His long time partner Bill Winkie has disappeared and Eddie needs a new partner to help him find out who's murdering the cities wealthy denizens.

Jack and Eddie go on many adventures trying to solve the cases and keep surviving to detect another day.

Very humorous book, good writing though some of the jokes may be hard to understand. It's a humorous, noir murder mystery with a bit of the outrageous thrown in. ( )
  readafew | Sep 24, 2013 |
This book is dedicated
to the memory
of Jon Jo
"Once upon a time," said the big fat farmer, "it was all fields around here."

Toy Town—older, bigger, and certainly not wiser. The Old Rich, who have made their millions from the royalties on their world-famous nursery rhymes, are being murdered one by one. A psychopath is on the loose, and he must be stopped at any cost. It’s a job for Toy Town’s only detective—but he’s missing, leaving only Eddie Bear, and his bestest friend Jack, to track down the mad killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:28 -0400)

Jack gets lost on his way to the city to make his fortune. He finds himself in Toy City, where a serial killer is on the loose. One by one, the old rich nursery rhyme characters, who made millions from royalties on their best-selling rhymes, are being slaughtered. Jack and Eddie Bear, a battered teddy bear, are challenged to solve the mystery.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,054,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible