The hollow chocolate bunnies of the…

The hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Robert Rankin

Title:The hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse
Authors:Robert Rankin (Author)
Info:London : Gollancz, 2002. Hardcover. 342 pages.
Collections:Read but unowned, Purged
Tags:21st century, absurd, comedy, crime, detective, fairy tale, fantasy, fiction, first edition, humour, metafiction, murder, mystery, novel, nursery rhyme, published 2002, satire, serial killer, sf, toy, UK author

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin (2002)

Jack, but not any of the Jacks you've heard of, comes to Toy City (formerly Toy Town) to find his fortune. He is promptly mugged and then hooks up with an alcoholic teddy bear named Eddie. Eddie is formerly the bear of Bill (Wee Willie) Winkie, private detective, and someone is killing off Preadolescent Poetic Personalities, starting with Humpty Dumpty.

Many of the toys in the city, especially the wind-up cars are described in detail that borders on a fetish. Eddie tends to just make up strings of words, and constantly uses a comparison phrase that he is compulsively unable to finish. The author compulsively introduces a new scene or piece of information with the phrase "it's a fact well known to those who know it well that..." All of which begins to grate less than half way through the book.

Eddie and Jack spend most of their time drunk, stumbling from one crime scene to another, where they alternate being clever and figuring out what happened, until they finally stumble upon the villain, wait for him to monolog while they are saved by the deus-ex-machina. The fact that Eddie and Jack are completely aware of all of the tropes, including the Maguffin to distract the villain.

The self-aware take on nursery rhymes and fairy tales has been done better and less crassly elsewhere, notably in the Nursery Crimes books of Jasper Fforde and The Incredibles. ( )
  grizzly.anderson | Oct 19, 2015 |
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse
Author: Robert Rankin
Publisher: Gollancz / Orion House
Published In: London, England
Date: 2002
Pgs: 342

A serial killer is loose in Toy City. Prominent city dwellers are dying; Humpty Dumpty, Little Boy Blue. Who is next? The Toy City Police haven’t got a clue. And Eddie Bear’s partner, Bill Winkie, has gone missing. Eddie’s got to figure out what’s going on or the bodies are going to keep dropping. Toy City has slide significantly since the good, old, jolly days. Welcome to the grimy side. Mix a battered teddy bear having an identity crisis with heavy drinking, bad behavior, car chases, and loads of sex and violence and you get...The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse.

Crime fiction
True crime

Why this book:
The title is catchy and wonder inducing.

Favorite Character:
Eddie Bear sounds like a curmudgeon. I love curmudgeons.

Least Favorite Character:
Jack the boy. Even though he was almost the victim of the cannibal farmer, he still comes across as a dick in the way that he talks to Eddie. Though Eddie seems to give as good as he gets.

Character I Most Identified With:
None of these characters come across as particularly likeable.

The Feel:
The fairy tale prose of the dialogue makes for choppy reading. It’s the way the story is obviously meant to be and it is consistent.

This is a bit Roger Rabbit like, but so much darker. Very noir detective meets fairy tale and teddy bears.

Reference to the Maguffin within the story as how a “real” detective story would go is a bit too breaking-the-4th-wall for me.

Favorite Scene:
Jack’s encounter with the “farmer” on his way to the city. That did not go like I thought it was going. It felt all fairy tale and, then, went Grimm.

The pace is slow.

Plot Holes/Out of Character:
There is a great amount of circuitous dialogue here. The toys and fairy tale creatures come to life speak in very “fairy tale”y style. It’s a bit annoying after the first couple times.

Hmm Moments:
Mother Goose as a madame.

Humpty, Jack Sprat, and Boy Blue as wealthy literati in Toy City.

Why isn’t there a screenplay?
This wouldn’t convert to the screen.

Last Page Sound:
I’ve almost given up on this a few times. The interest level is there. I kept plugging along.

Author Assessment:
Case by case basis.

Editorial Assessment:
The tone and feel stay consistent.

Knee Jerk Reaction:

Would recommend to:
genre fans
__________________________________________________​ ( )
1 vote texascheeseman | Aug 29, 2015 |
Synopsis: Jack had decided to leave the factory where he makes clockwork items and journey to the city to make his fortune. His first night in the city he is rescued by Teddy, the bear of a detective who has mysteriously vanished. Now Jack and Teddy must find out who is killing off the wealthy nursery rhyme characters, as well as save themselves.
Review: Weird and quirky, this is fun to read. The plot is nicely involved leading the reader on a merry chase to the bad guys, then away, then back again. Nicely silly, it's hard to put down. ( )
  DrLed | Sep 13, 2014 |
I gave this book 4 stars because Rankin is such a clever writer. I enjoyed the quirky, comical prose more than the story itself. I'm not a fan of mystery detective stories so that was one downfall but it was original enough for me to enjoy it fully. I can't wait to check out another of his books, maybe without the detective plot next time. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
This book is tons of fun. I was having too much fun to realize until about halfway through what an awesome allegory it was too. I'd describe it as a lighter, wittier, but easier Wicked

Two of my particularly favorite moments:

‎"'As real as." said Eddie
'As real as what?' said Jack
'Wish I knew,' said Eddie 'But I can't do corroborative nouns. None of us are perfect, are we?'"

"Yet another theory is that there was more than one Humpty Dumpty, but no wall involved: one Humpty fell from the side of a grassy knoll and another from the window of a book depository. This is known as 'The Particularly Stupid Theory'." ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
This book is dedicated
to the memory
of Jon Jo
"Once upon a time," said the big fat farmer, "it was all fields around here."

Toy Town—older, bigger, and certainly not wiser. The Old Rich, who have made their millions from the royalties on their world-famous nursery rhymes, are being murdered one by one. A psychopath is on the loose, and he must be stopped at any cost. It’s a job for Toy Town’s only detective—but he’s missing, leaving only Eddie Bear, and his bestest friend Jack, to track down the mad killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:45 -0400)

Jack gets lost on his way to the city to make his fortune. He finds himself in Toy City, where a serial killer is on the loose. One by one, the old rich nursery rhyme characters, who made millions from royalties on their best-selling rhymes, are being slaughtered. Jack and Eddie Bear, a battered teddy bear, are challenged to solve the mystery.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible