Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't…

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) (edition 2011)

by Sarah Mlynowski

248None46,005 (3.7)6
Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)
Authors:Sarah Mlynowski
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Hardcover, 368 pages

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

English (24)  German (1)  All languages (25)
Overall, this was a quick, fun read that teens can easily relate to, despite the abnormal circumstances. See full review here: http://tahleenreads.blogspot.com/2012/01/review-ten-things-we-did-and-probably.h... ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
This book was fantastic! The voice was spot on teen throughout. The characterizations (particularly the relationship with Noah) were believable and sucked me right in. The last third of the book was really my favorite, the way she feels about her father. I won't say more than that because I don't want to give anything away. :)

She made mention of 'black spots' way too many times as a descriptor of panic/shock, but other than that, the writing felt effortless. I did think that the last few paragraphs of the book felt like they were tacked on as an expected "right thing to do" rather than being true to the book.

All in all, I'm so glad I read it. It was fab! ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |
Um. Just finished it today... And well... I can't say that it's not what I didn't expect but... I just didn't know (okay, so I'm sure of it) that it'll be about... sex.

Plot: It's definitely Chick Lit, Realistic, Contemporary and whatever you want to call it. It's happening to almost every girl. Okay, that's a bit excessive. What I want to say is that it's been happened to a girl, or maybe a lot more than we know. And I actually liked the idea that the author came up with. I mean, this book should have like a million things listed! Not just TEN! :P I mean, there's a lot more "Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)". I know you guys have a lot. More than TEN. I do have a lot and at first, when I started this, I was so freakin' guilty to the first one. "Lied to Our Parents" but HELLO? Who didn't lie to his/her parents!? If you know someone who haven't lied to parents, please introduce him/her to me!

I am so not commenting about the characters. >_
Overall: I'm not really sure if I'll give a 3-star or a 4-star so... in between. 3.5 star. The love story between April and Noah is rocky and it drags on until the last chapter. And the romance between April and Hudson are so incredibly short! They're together in the last few pages! Ugh. The whole time I was like, why did I get this book? Why am I reading it still when all I could do is shake my head? To answer the first question, I picked it up cause I thought it'll be funny story. But I didn't get that 'hilarious' tale though. :( It was okay. I could still recommend this to every teens cause you should know when you're taking it to the extreme level too much. Know your limitations.

You shouldn't be always "This is fun! Forget the parents! I'm gonna have a blast!" cause you should know that there'll be consequences you need to deal with after having your FUN. And mind you, those consequences are NO FUN at ALL. ( )
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |

Someone should burn this cover

Let's just say the very first thing that needs to be said: UK publishers, what the hell have you done to this book? What happened to the cute girl/boy chick-lit cover and, more importantly, what happened to the original title? The actual title - Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) - conveys the whole "ooh, we're so baaaaad for doing that, but it sure was fun!" that this book is pretty much all about. This UK imposter title fails to hit the joke. And back to the cover... sometimes, yes, less can be more. But, in this case, less is just boring and white and scary pink and just really rather juvenile looking.

And then there's the story...

Okay. I think I would have rated this novel higher if the big, what-on-earth clanger hadn't been dropped half-way through the last chapter. It wasn't even a smooth clanger. It was a sloppy clanger. And kind of silly. Plus, it ruined what I had built up in my mind as being the whole point behind this book. I'd formed some idea along the way of what message I believed [a:Sarah Mlynowski|771|Sarah Mlynowski|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1209389266p2/771.jpg] was trying to send about sex and relationships and the message that I thought was being sent I could understand and appreciate. Then she took her last chapter and scribbled over what the rest of the novel had been built upon.

Sorry, I'm talking in riddles so I don't give too much away, but if you're not going to read this book: She ends up with chlamydia in the end anyway!

Maybe it's because I don't have any kids or because I have an insanely laid back mother, but I've always preferred teen books that have a positive attitude towards sex. You know, "be wild, be young, have fun but always use a condom". I'm a strong believer that most teenagers will have sex if they want to and can get away with it, regardless of what their parents say, it's human nature. So I think that instead of spouting "you will get HIV and you will get pregnant and you will DIE!!!" it's better to just give advice on contraception and let them get on with it.

For the largest part of [b:Ten Things We Shouldn't Have Done|10846326|Ten Things We Shouldn't Have Done|Sarah Mlynowski|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328689752s/10846326.jpg|14147661] there was a very relaxed attitude towards sex and a full run through of all the possible methods of contraception (t'was highly informative). Bravo. Very good. So, here's me thinking that I get it, I understand that [a:Sarah Mlynowski|771|Sarah Mlynowski|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1209389266p2/771.jpg] is on the same wavelength as me when it comes to teenagers having sex and whatnot... well, talk about mixed messages. Shit hits the fan, things go wrong, you might be getting some idea of what probably happens, yes? Or maybe you read the spoiler.

Oh, and hang on, your boyfriend cheats on you with another girl and she's the whore???

Yeah, so, is the author's actual message that you shouldn't have sex if you're a teen? I am clueless. Also, mild slut-shaming is still slut-shaming... give me a break girlies and grow some ovaries asap.

Though I will say that I think I'm in the minority (again) about the humour in this book. Well, I laughed. Come on, some parts were worth a little chuckle or two at least. I did appreciate the humour and I enjoyed the exploration of different relationships going on. I liked Dean, he was funny, sexy and a nice guy, with a bit more focus given to him he could be a potential Dave-the-laugh (and we all love Dave).

I liked it. [b:Ten Things We Shouldn't Have Done|10846326|Ten Things We Shouldn't Have Done|Sarah Mlynowski|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328689752s/10846326.jpg|14147661] is a pleasant, mindless beach-read kind of book. I have issues with it but I can't deny that I found it entertaining.
  emleemay | Mar 30, 2013 |
Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowki is a total guilty pleasure - in the best way possible. Everyone should read this book! So funny, so ridiculous.

Long story short: April's parents are moving away in the middle of her junior year in high school, so she and her friend Vi cook up a plan for April to move in with Vi. Ta-da! No more moving for her. The only problem: Vi's mom isn't going to be there. At all. She's traveling the country with a production of Mary Poppins. So they lie to April's parents. No big deal, right? Two high-schoolers alone with their own house for an entire semester... What could go wrong?

This book seriously needs to be made into a movie, or a really bad sitcom. The only complaint I have about it is that the narrator, April, is so stupid. But it was okay, because feeling that way helped me not be sad when bad things happened to her. She deserved it! ( )
  TheHeathers | Mar 4, 2013 |
I bolted awake. A siren.

Oh no! April's life, after just getting good, is about to be set off track. She's moving to another state! Her mind races and finally a solution comes to mind- Vi! She can move in with her spunky, independent friend, Vi. But it takes lies to get her there, along the way she does every parents' nightmare on the way to finding herself and figuring out family and relationship issues....

Sixteen-year-old April, a high school junior, and her friend Vi, a senior, get a crash course in reality as the list of things they should not do becomes a list of things they did while living parent-free in Westport, Connecticut, for the semester.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible