Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't…

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) (edition 2011)

by Sarah Mlynowski

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)
Authors:Sarah Mlynowski
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Hardcover, 368 pages

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

English (35)  German (1)  All languages (36)
Having read Sarah Mylnowski's Magic in Manhattan series, I was looking forward to reading some of her standalone books.

Unfortunately "Ten Things We Did" began so implausibly and with the erratic time/section shifts that I almost discarded it. However, the one thing that I've learned during my reading goals is that you plod on through because sometimes the book that seems extremely discard-worthy redeems itself. Such was the case for this novel.

It won't rank high on my list for YA novels because of its testing my limits of belief and its scattered telling. However, the characters are interesting enough and some of the more plausible situations relate to the theme of trust, relationships and fidelity tied together with happiness.

The whine factor is mostly low. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Every teen's dream is to have freedom while still in high school. I had a taste of this myself and it was way cooler then than it is now, primarily because someone else was paying the bills.

April and Vi work out the perfect plan to be roomies! after April's father and step-mother opt to move to another state. April cannot stand the thought of being torn away from her school, her friends, and most importantly, her boyfriend Noah.

This is definitely an "I learned my lesson--kind of" book. I know I couldn't have pulled something like that off, but April and Vi manage to work it out. And the way to go about it, it's awfully fun to do "bad" things. Well...most bad things. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
I picked this one up because my teenage daughter said that one of her friends had parents going through a divorce and the book had helped her.I'm going to chalk that up to a mistake because it has a little but not much related to divorce and I'm not sure how it would have been helpful. I guess it kind of reinforces how families can be different and still be loving but I felt like it did more glorifying of lying and partying than it did reinforcing the families come in all forms theme. Having said that, I don't know that it's incredibly well=written but I don't want to be too hard on the book because I enjoyed reading ( even while I was cringing) it, it was like the reality tv of books. In fairness, it has a sweet message about independence and friendship but overall not that amazing.

Curricular connection - NONE. I was hoping I would have a book to recommend for students whose parents were divorcing but it's got a lot of sex and drinking so I'd say it's a read for pleasure book only. It might be slightly informative about chlamydia and birth control. ( )
  ECrowwwley | Mar 10, 2016 |
Good not great! Although that might be because I have a daughter nearly this age and I kept imagining her in April's place and OMG NO!!! Really like mysterious Hudson! There is a good message behind this book but it took a long time to get to it and then the book just ended. I would of liked to have jut a tad more. Especially of Hudson and of the girls making good decisions. ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Also need to write a review of this!
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I bolted awake. A siren.

Oh no! April's life, after just getting good, is about to be set off track. She's moving to another state! Her mind races and finally a solution comes to mind- Vi! She can move in with her spunky, independent friend, Vi. But it takes lies to get her there, along the way she does every parents' nightmare on the way to finding herself and figuring out family and relationship issues....

Sixteen-year-old April, a high school junior, and her friend Vi, a senior, get a crash course in reality as the list of things they should not do becomes a list of things they did while living parent-free in Westport, Connecticut, for the semester.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible