dismiss

No title (2011)

5,2074321,430 (3.72)1 / 234
An amnesiac attempts to reconstruct her past by keeping a journal and discovers the dangerous inconsistencies in the stories of her husband and her secret doctor.
Member:
Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (2011)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Similarly unreliable, damaged women trying to reconstruct their lives.
    In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Suspense mysteries featuring unreliable memories and isolation
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    After The Fall by Sarah Goodwin (GirlMisanthrope)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Black Out by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The women in Before I Go To Sleep and Black Out are suffering from amnesia. They must piece together their identities in order to escape from threatening and disturbing forces at work in their lives.
    Left Neglected by Lisa Genova (JenMDB)
    Little Face by Sophie Hannah (DeeDee80)

English (409)  Dutch (10)  French (4)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (431)
Silly and the writing isn't good enough to carry the journal idea, but it's a nice Memento-esque concept which makes small details unsettling. A good page-turner. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
Every morning Christine wakes up in a strange bed beside a strange man. She views herself as a party girl so when she sees his wedding ring, she thinks she got drunk and went home with a married man. When she looks in the mirror she sees the face a an older woman, not the mid-twenties woman she feels like inside. She tries to remember how she ended up there but soon realizes she can't remember anything. Her past is a mystery.

The stranger introduces himself as Ben, her husband of twenty years. He tells her that every morning he wakes up to a woman who can't remember anything, including him or their life together. He explains this every day and also puts notes around the bathroom mirror to remind her throughout the day what to do and how to reach him. Chris is also contacted by Dr Edmund Nash, a neuro psychologist, who also calls every day to tell her where to find her journal. When she starts to read it, the very first sentence she sees is "Don't trust Ben".

Before I Go to Sleep is divided into three parts, all narrated by Christine. Part One introduces the reader to the premise. Part Two is filled with Christine's journal entries. Part Three is what happens after she's finished reading her journal. The author did a wonderful job of relaying Christine's anxiety to us through her journals. She lets us know how terrifying it must be to wake up each day with no memories of the previous day. This is a complex, well written and suspenseful novel. I didn't realize it had been made into a movie so I might check it out. I'm usually disappointed in those after enjoying the book, so maybe it's better if I skip it.
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
Soooo creeped out by this book. Would make a great movie with a slightly better narration. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
Orlagh Cassidy is the narrator, and she is wonderful, and should be used a lot more as a narrator.
This audiobook is well done. The story quite gripping, and kept me interested throughout the entire novel. I’d thought I’d had things figured out early on, but there were some twisty-turns I’d never seem coming that made my ideas.....not quite so correct, but not quite wrong, either. And yet, I still enjoyed this novel.
4 stars, and recommended. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
I loved the way S.J. Watson played with my mind. What happened to Christine? Why can't she remember? Can her husband, Ben, be trusted? I loved trying to figure out what had happened as Christine remembered little clues and I gained more information. I look forward to reading more of S.J. Watson's work. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost? What if the body you woke up in was not the body you remember going to sleep in? What if you were oblivious to the events of the last 30 years of your life? Memories are what define all of us as people. But when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real, how do you make sense of that?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a middle aged woman suffering from extreme amnesia, who has no memory of what happened in her life for her past 30 years. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day.

The highly acclaimed, internationally best seller is truly a suspenseful, interesting and gripping book that will keep you entertained for all 356 pages of it. For lovers of Mysteries, this is a must read book, and I highly recommend it to everybody.
added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 28, 2013)

What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost, and unfamiliar with your own reflection in the mirror? What would you do when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a victim of an unsettling accident leaving her unable to retain memories for longer than 24 hours. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day. Keeping a diary of her daily events, she fits the pieces of her life puzzle together; she reaches a disturbing conclusion.

The Journal style format of this book creates a truly unique style of writing, one that truly pulls you into the struggles of Christine’s daily life. The narration gives the reader a striking insight into the daily battle of discovering her identity. However, the style of daily journal entries can make the book slow at parts, but much like a roller coaster, it is all simply preparation for the plunge of excitement.

For lovers of mysteries and psychological thrillers, this is a must read book. However, I still highly recommend it to everybody. The sudden flashbacks, the distorted images and the faint impression that things are not at all what they seem. This book will make you rethink all of your unclear memories; it will keep you extremely entertained.

added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 27, 2013)

The ending feels hurried; a sentimental postscript to the meticulously plotted main event. But these are minor gripes. Before I Go to Sleep is an enjoyable and impressive first novel. Like the best of its thematic predecessors, it is also an affecting moral allegory: don't forget your loved ones. Or else.

The most unnerving aspect of Before I Go to Sleep is the way it is rooted in the domestic, the suburban, the trivial. Forget whizz-bang futurism: it proceeds from ordinary life in tiny, terrifying steps, and is all the better for it.

Watson’s pitch-perfect writing propels the story to a frenzied climax that will haunt readers long after they’ve closed the cover on this remarkable book.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2011)

Belongs to Publisher Series

I was born tomorrow
today I live
yesterday killed me

—PARVIZ OWSIA
For my mother, and for Nicholas
The bedroom is strange.

As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me...

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love — all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.

Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis — all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac.

With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion.

What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted?

To Christine, each day
Is a blank page. Who can she
Trust? Can we trust her?
(passion4reading)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921758155, 1921758988

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,248,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible