Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel by S. J.…

Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by S. J. Watson

4,1543831,206 (3.74)1 / 211
Member:kayceel
Title:Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel
Authors:S. J. Watson
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Adult
Rating:****1/2
Tags:memory loss, mystery, suspense, 2012, women authors, identity, amnesiacs, journaling

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (2011)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Similarly unreliable, damaged women trying to reconstruct their lives.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Black Out by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The women in Before I Go To Sleep and Black Out are suffering from amnesia. They must piece together their identities in order to escape from threatening and disturbing forces at work in their lives.
    Left Neglected by Lisa Genova (JenMDB)
    After The Fall by Sarah Goodwin (GirlMisanthrope)
    Little Face by Sophie Hannah (DeeDee80)

English (363)  Dutch (10)  French (4)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  English (383)
Interesting premise. Pretty well written, with a good twist at the end. For some reason I found the going tiresome occasionally, yet I did finish in a day. Unfortunate flashes to "50 First Dates", however. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
Judged strictly on the merits, it isn't a very good book. But as a brainless escapist mind-candy kind of read, it proved to be quite the page-turner. The final third of the book is a mess, and none of it is plausible or makes any sense, but it did work for me as a temporary stress-reliever. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
If I had to use only one word to describe this book, that word would be AMAZING!! I absolutely loved this one!! The twists and turns in this book bring to mind riding a brand new roller coaster .....in the DARK - you never know what to expect next!

This is one of those books where you think you have it all figured out....only to find that you don't have a clue. Just when you think you know - you don't!

I am not going to give you a synopsis of the book in this review. You can always find that on the back of the book or here on Goodreads or at Amazon. What I will do is ask...what are you waiting for?? If you are a fan of psychological thrillers you need to get this one! You will definitely not regret it, and you will have a hard time putting it down.

I am a huge fan of suspense/thrillers and when I saw Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson, I KNEW I had to read it. I was totally surprised to find that this is the author's debut book! Everyone in my book group who read this book LOVED it. We couldn't stop talking about it! What a fantastic read! I will definitely be looking for more by this author - if this is his first offering, I can only imagine what he has for us next!! ( )
  kitchenwitch04 | Oct 24, 2016 |
I found this book to be a real page-turner. There was a complex plot, lots of twists and turns and and a satisfying ending. ( )
  Deelightful | Oct 14, 2016 |
Repressed memory is tricky to deal with in fiction. The only reason to introduce a character who can’t remember is that eventually they will remember, and in order for there to be a story, the memories that emerge must trigger some sort of struggle or confrontation or expose the character to danger. In Before I Go to Sleep, the bestselling debut novel by S.J. Watson, Christine Lucas has suffered a physical trauma that has rendered her unable to remember anything from one day to the next. Every morning she wakes up believing she is in her twenties with her whole life ahead of her, only to find to her horror that she is 47 years old and married to long-suffering Ben, who must, once again, as he does every single day, explain to her the situation. But unknown to her husband Christine has started herself on the road to recovery. Encouraged by Dr. Ed Nash, a memory specialist who’s studying her case and who contacted her behind Ben’s back, Christine has started writing a journal, recording conversations and events and everything that she learns and remembers about her life and her obliterated past. The journal substitutes for her faulty memory and allows her to retain and build on an inventory of facts about herself rather than having that knowledge wiped clean every night. As long as she reads through the journal every morning, she can face the day knowing who she is and how she came to be so damaged. It is an intriguing premise, and Watson expertly builds tension and suspense by having Christine, stimulated by the journal, remember isolated snippets of her life that don’t entirely tally with what Ben tells her took place. Her doubts grow, but because of her condition she can’t tell if her suspicions are valid or if she is just confused. Whenever she confronts her husband with the memories that are coming back to her, he always seems to have a convincing and (most importantly) compassionate reason for feeding her an alternative version of reality. Christine is an engaging character and her plight arouses great sympathy in the reader. For most of the book the story works better than we have any right to expect. However, it is a delicate balancing act, and at a certain point Watson’s narrative falters because there is too much being withheld, too many lies being told, and too many memories surfacing at just the right time. The final plot twist relies on characters acting against their own best interests and many elements falling conveniently into place. The result is a novel that carries the reader along on the swelling tide of Christine’s growing awareness of what really happened and why, but most readers will have figured out what’s coming long before it actually does. ( )
  icolford | Oct 2, 2016 |
What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost? What if the body you woke up in was not the body you remember going to sleep in? What if you were oblivious to the events of the last 30 years of your life? Memories are what define all of us as people. But when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real, how do you make sense of that?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a middle aged woman suffering from extreme amnesia, who has no memory of what happened in her life for her past 30 years. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day.

The highly acclaimed, internationally best seller is truly a suspenseful, interesting and gripping book that will keep you entertained for all 356 pages of it. For lovers of Mysteries, this is a must read book, and I highly recommend it to everybody.
added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 28, 2013)

What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost, and unfamiliar with your own reflection in the mirror? What would you do when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a victim of an unsettling accident leaving her unable to retain memories for longer than 24 hours. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day. Keeping a diary of her daily events, she fits the pieces of her life puzzle together; she reaches a disturbing conclusion.

The Journal style format of this book creates a truly unique style of writing, one that truly pulls you into the struggles of Christine’s daily life. The narration gives the reader a striking insight into the daily battle of discovering her identity. However, the style of daily journal entries can make the book slow at parts, but much like a roller coaster, it is all simply preparation for the plunge of excitement.

For lovers of mysteries and psychological thrillers, this is a must read book. However, I still highly recommend it to everybody. The sudden flashbacks, the distorted images and the faint impression that things are not at all what they seem. This book will make you rethink all of your unclear memories; it will keep you extremely entertained.

added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 27, 2013)

The ending feels hurried; a sentimental postscript to the meticulously plotted main event. But these are minor gripes. Before I Go to Sleep is an enjoyable and impressive first novel. Like the best of its thematic predecessors, it is also an affecting moral allegory: don't forget your loved ones. Or else.

The most unnerving aspect of Before I Go to Sleep is the way it is rooted in the domestic, the suburban, the trivial. Forget whizz-bang futurism: it proceeds from ordinary life in tiny, terrifying steps, and is all the better for it.

Watson’s pitch-perfect writing propels the story to a frenzied climax that will haunt readers long after they’ve closed the cover on this remarkable book.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2011)

I was born tomorrow
today I live
yesterday killed me

—PARVIZ OWSIA
For my mother, and for Nicholas
The bedroom is strange.

As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me...

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love — all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.

Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis — all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac.

With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion.

What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted?

To Christine, each day
Is a blank page. Who can she
Trust? Can we trust her?
(passion4reading)

An amnesiac attempts to reconstruct her past by keeping a journal and discovers the dangerous inconsistencies in the stories of her husband and her secret doctor.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921758155, 1921758988

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible