Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel by S. J.…

Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by S. J. Watson

3,6163341,458 (3.74)1 / 183
Title:Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel
Authors:S. J. Watson
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:memory loss, mystery, suspense, 2012, women authors, identity, amnesiacs, journaling

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (2011)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Similarly unreliable, damaged women trying to reconstruct their lives.
    Black Out by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The women in Before I Go To Sleep and Black Out are suffering from amnesia. They must piece together their identities in order to escape from threatening and disturbing forces at work in their lives.
    Left Neglected by Lisa Genova (JenMDB)
    After The Fall by Sarah Goodwin (GirlMisanthrope)
    Little Face by Sophie Hannah (DeeDee80)

English (315)  Dutch (10)  French (4)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (334)
I really enjoyed this book. Along the lines of many of the bestsellers such as Gone Girl and The Girl on The Train, this suspenseful thriller keeps you guessing at every turn. The writing has a tendency to be repetitive occasionally, mostly because of the way the plot is, having a main character with memory loss and regaining memories based on a diary, therefore it was pretty easy to overlook after a while. The ending was perfect for the story and let the reader make the conclusion that worked best for them. A highly suggested read. ( )
  ToriC90 | Sep 28, 2015 |
A woman, unable to form new memories, has only a secret journal to remind her of who she is, and that the people in her life may not be who they seem. ( )
  jrthebutler | Sep 23, 2015 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This was my next-to/under my bed book for quite some time, you know, for when my eReader suddenly stops working and I want to have something else easily picked up to read in bed. Only normally, I usually get invested in the book so much that it soon moves on to be my actual books. Not this time (this might be because it was a period with - luckily - very little eReader problems). However, this did cause Before I Go To Sleep to be 'currently reading' for a very long time. Until I told myself, it's ridiculous you're reading 10 books at a time. Go finish some first!

And so I finally finished it. Christine wakes up every morning not knowing where she is. Her memory is literally broken, but when she starts writing (and constantly reading) a diary, things get a little better. Or do they?

Like I said before, I never got really invested into the story. It was still quite enjoyable, but it was very easy to put it aside. I didn't think the story was that original (it reminded me of the film 50 First Dates) and I didn't particularly liked the main character Christine. The ending I'd guessed about halfway through the end.

It was not as special as I thought it would be, but it was a fast read. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 6, 2015 |
This novel is the story of Christine, a woman suffering from a form of amnesia that prevents her from forming any new memories. She remembers what happens in a single day, but each night, when she goes to sleep, her entire memory is swept clean of everything that happened that day. She wakes up in bed next to a man who explains, day after day, that he is her husband and that she has lost her memory due to a hit and run accident many years earlier. She has some occasional flashes of memory and when they begin to contradict what her husband is telling her, the mystery begins.
This book was on some list of the Best of 2011. I am not sure I would consider it one of the best, but I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It was a page turner that at times made me scared as I was reading.
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost? What if the body you woke up in was not the body you remember going to sleep in? What if you were oblivious to the events of the last 30 years of your life? Memories are what define all of us as people. But when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real, how do you make sense of that?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a middle aged woman suffering from extreme amnesia, who has no memory of what happened in her life for her past 30 years. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day.

The highly acclaimed, internationally best seller is truly a suspenseful, interesting and gripping book that will keep you entertained for all 356 pages of it. For lovers of Mysteries, this is a must read book, and I highly recommend it to everybody.
added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 28, 2013)
What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost, and unfamiliar with your own reflection in the mirror? What would you do when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a victim of an unsettling accident leaving her unable to retain memories for longer than 24 hours. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day. Keeping a diary of her daily events, she fits the pieces of her life puzzle together; she reaches a disturbing conclusion.

The Journal style format of this book creates a truly unique style of writing, one that truly pulls you into the struggles of Christine’s daily life. The narration gives the reader a striking insight into the daily battle of discovering her identity. However, the style of daily journal entries can make the book slow at parts, but much like a roller coaster, it is all simply preparation for the plunge of excitement.

For lovers of mysteries and psychological thrillers, this is a must read book. However, I still highly recommend it to everybody. The sudden flashbacks, the distorted images and the faint impression that things are not at all what they seem. This book will make you rethink all of your unclear memories; it will keep you extremely entertained.

added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 27, 2013)
The ending feels hurried; a sentimental postscript to the meticulously plotted main event. But these are minor gripes. Before I Go to Sleep is an enjoyable and impressive first novel. Like the best of its thematic predecessors, it is also an affecting moral allegory: don't forget your loved ones. Or else.
The most unnerving aspect of Before I Go to Sleep is the way it is rooted in the domestic, the suburban, the trivial. Forget whizz-bang futurism: it proceeds from ordinary life in tiny, terrifying steps, and is all the better for it.
Watson’s pitch-perfect writing propels the story to a frenzied climax that will haunt readers long after they’ve closed the cover on this remarkable book.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2011)
I was born tomorrow
today I live
yesterday killed me

For my mother, and for Nicholas
The bedroom is strange.

As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me...

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love — all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.

Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis — all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac.

With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion.

What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted?

To Christine, each day
Is a blank page. Who can she
Trust? Can we trust her?

An amnesiac attempts to reconstruct her past by keeping a journal and discovers the dangerous inconsistencies in the stories of her husband and her secret doctor.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921758155, 1921758988

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,705,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible