Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel by S. J.…

Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by S. J. Watson

4,0143721,274 (3.74)1 / 192
Member:BethArcher
Title:Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel
Authors:S. J. Watson
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:Thriller

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (2011)

Recently added bymc100, hnau, arena555, jodiesohl, Javisan, Glire, ValLloyd, mtlkch, private library, kagey
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Similarly unreliable, damaged women trying to reconstruct their lives.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Black Out by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The women in Before I Go To Sleep and Black Out are suffering from amnesia. They must piece together their identities in order to escape from threatening and disturbing forces at work in their lives.
    Left Neglected by Lisa Genova (JenMDB)
    After The Fall by Sarah Goodwin (GirlMisanthrope)
    Little Face by Sophie Hannah (DeeDee80)

English (351)  Dutch (10)  French (4)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (371)
CC (B&T fiction) and ILL
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This was a really gripping, couldn't put down read. The one thing that stops it being a four star read is that I didn't like any of the characters. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Review: Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson.

This was an amazing book. I enjoyed the subject matter, the descriptions of information and mostly the emotion and feelings the main character, Christine struggled through. I somewhat connected to Christine’s frustration as she tried to remember thoughts, events and past memories as each day went by. She had a rare type of amnesia from the aftermath of a traumatic accident that involved her memory vanishing every twenty-four hours, which left her waking up each morning in a strange bed next to a strange man.

Christine discovers every morning that the stranger in her bed is her husband Ben, she has written a book, she had a son, Adam and she had an affair but the new discoveries keep coming after a neurophysiologist, Dr. Nash, who studied her case got in touch with her and told her he thought he could help her. Hesitant but to the point of her desperation she decided to try. Dr Nash asked her to start writing in a journal everyday in hopes of rekindling some of her lost years. She does keep a journal and decides not to tell Ben because of his attitude that nothing was going to help her. She kept the journal hidden in a shoe box at the bottom of their bedroom closet and Dr Nash calls her each mourning, reminding her to read her journal. When she rereads her journal each day she is puzzled by the first page, first line, also in her handwriting.… “Don’t trust Ben.”……

Even though the ending was not up to my standards, leaving me in awe I still think it was a good read. I recommend it to others.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
worthy of the hype. It gets a bit repetitive in the middle and tidies itself up a bit too cleanly for me but well written, sharply described and very keen to see the film adaption now ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This was my next-to/under my bed book for quite some time, you know, for when my eReader suddenly stops working and I want to have something else easily picked up to read in bed. Only normally, I usually get invested in the book so much that it soon moves on to be my actual books. Not this time (this might be because it was a period with - luckily - very little eReader problems). However, this did cause Before I Go To Sleep to be 'currently reading' for a very long time. Until I told myself, it's ridiculous you're reading 10 books at a time. Go finish some first!

And so I finally finished it. Christine wakes up every morning not knowing where she is. Her memory is literally broken, but when she starts writing (and constantly reading) a diary, things get a little better. Or do they?

Like I said before, I never got really invested into the story. It was still quite enjoyable, but it was very easy to put it aside. I didn't think the story was that original (it reminded me of the film 50 First Dates) and I didn't particularly liked the main character Christine. The ending I'd guessed about halfway through the end.

It was not as special as I thought it would be, but it was a fast read. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost? What if the body you woke up in was not the body you remember going to sleep in? What if you were oblivious to the events of the last 30 years of your life? Memories are what define all of us as people. But when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real, how do you make sense of that?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a middle aged woman suffering from extreme amnesia, who has no memory of what happened in her life for her past 30 years. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day.

The highly acclaimed, internationally best seller is truly a suspenseful, interesting and gripping book that will keep you entertained for all 356 pages of it. For lovers of Mysteries, this is a must read book, and I highly recommend it to everybody.
added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 28, 2013)

What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost, and unfamiliar with your own reflection in the mirror? What would you do when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a victim of an unsettling accident leaving her unable to retain memories for longer than 24 hours. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day. Keeping a diary of her daily events, she fits the pieces of her life puzzle together; she reaches a disturbing conclusion.

The Journal style format of this book creates a truly unique style of writing, one that truly pulls you into the struggles of Christine’s daily life. The narration gives the reader a striking insight into the daily battle of discovering her identity. However, the style of daily journal entries can make the book slow at parts, but much like a roller coaster, it is all simply preparation for the plunge of excitement.

For lovers of mysteries and psychological thrillers, this is a must read book. However, I still highly recommend it to everybody. The sudden flashbacks, the distorted images and the faint impression that things are not at all what they seem. This book will make you rethink all of your unclear memories; it will keep you extremely entertained.

added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 27, 2013)

The ending feels hurried; a sentimental postscript to the meticulously plotted main event. But these are minor gripes. Before I Go to Sleep is an enjoyable and impressive first novel. Like the best of its thematic predecessors, it is also an affecting moral allegory: don't forget your loved ones. Or else.

The most unnerving aspect of Before I Go to Sleep is the way it is rooted in the domestic, the suburban, the trivial. Forget whizz-bang futurism: it proceeds from ordinary life in tiny, terrifying steps, and is all the better for it.

Watson’s pitch-perfect writing propels the story to a frenzied climax that will haunt readers long after they’ve closed the cover on this remarkable book.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2011)

I was born tomorrow
today I live
yesterday killed me

—PARVIZ OWSIA
For my mother, and for Nicholas
The bedroom is strange.

As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me...

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love — all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.

Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis — all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac.

With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion.

What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted?

To Christine, each day
Is a blank page. Who can she
Trust? Can we trust her?
(passion4reading)

An amnesiac attempts to reconstruct her past by keeping a journal and discovers the dangerous inconsistencies in the stories of her husband and her secret doctor.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921758155, 1921758988

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,826,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible