Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel by S. J.…

Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by S. J. Watson

3,4083061,584 (3.75)1 / 172
Member:evilibby
Title:Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel
Authors:S. J. Watson
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (2011)

English (288)  Dutch (10)  French (4)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (306)
Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson is one suspense thriller I could not set down. Each time I tried, or thought I could,. I realized I needed to know just a little bit more and so one and before I knew it the day was gone. I highly recommend Before I Go To Sleep to anyone who enjoys a well written suspenseful thriller. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Feb 25, 2015 |
A wonderful book that shows us how much it costs to loose ones memory on a small window daily and rediscover her lost years. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
I enjoyed this one. It was a nice escape. The premise fascinated me and I thought a lot could be done with out. However I did guess at the ending and was right, but suspended my guess and kept reading. For a debut novel, it was quite good. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
This was fun. It's one of those books that's a thriller and page turner where you read as fast as you can to find out what happens. It may not be high art or completely have made sense, but I enjoyed the ride!

This is the story of Christine, who wakes up each morning not remembering anything from the past 20 or so years of her life and has only spotty memories before then. She can remember the events of each day during the day, but as soon as she goes into a deep sleep it is as if her memories reset. She is journaling her days at the request of a new doctor and each day he calls to remind her where it is hidden so she can read it and write in it. She hides it each day because she doesn't feel comfortable telling her husband, the man she wakes up in bed with each morning but doesn't remember and can't seem to trust, about her progress.

There are lots of twists and turns and of course the unreliable narrator element with a woman telling the story who can only remember one day at a time. I imagine the science of memory behind this book must be pretty shoddy, but it was still fun.

Recommended if you enjoy the occasional thriller and page-turner. ( )
  japaul22 | Jan 27, 2015 |
This book would have gotten 5 stars but the ending was just so UGH! Don't read the rest if you don't want to book spoiled!...

I love love LOVED this book for the most part. It was so intersting, very well written, and the characters were just great. However I was unimpressed with the ending. I so badly wanted to know if she had gotten her memory back for good or if she was the way she was throughout the book. I think it would have been better had Watson given us this little piece of information. Even if he wrote another chapter that was titled "1 year later" and only had a little page of information like they do at the end of some reality shows to tell you how the people were doing after the show filmed. All in all though it was a very good read, I couldn't stop reading! It only took me three days to read the book, and I wasn't planning on reading it first out of the bunch that I had gotten from the library that day. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost? What if the body you woke up in was not the body you remember going to sleep in? What if you were oblivious to the events of the last 30 years of your life? Memories are what define all of us as people. But when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real, how do you make sense of that?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a middle aged woman suffering from extreme amnesia, who has no memory of what happened in her life for her past 30 years. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day.

The highly acclaimed, internationally best seller is truly a suspenseful, interesting and gripping book that will keep you entertained for all 356 pages of it. For lovers of Mysteries, this is a must read book, and I highly recommend it to everybody.
added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 28, 2013)

What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost, and unfamiliar with your own reflection in the mirror? What would you do when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a victim of an unsettling accident leaving her unable to retain memories for longer than 24 hours. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day. Keeping a diary of her daily events, she fits the pieces of her life puzzle together; she reaches a disturbing conclusion.

The Journal style format of this book creates a truly unique style of writing, one that truly pulls you into the struggles of Christine’s daily life. The narration gives the reader a striking insight into the daily battle of discovering her identity. However, the style of daily journal entries can make the book slow at parts, but much like a roller coaster, it is all simply preparation for the plunge of excitement.

For lovers of mysteries and psychological thrillers, this is a must read book. However, I still highly recommend it to everybody. The sudden flashbacks, the distorted images and the faint impression that things are not at all what they seem. This book will make you rethink all of your unclear memories; it will keep you extremely entertained.

added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 27, 2013)

The ending feels hurried; a sentimental postscript to the meticulously plotted main event. But these are minor gripes. Before I Go to Sleep is an enjoyable and impressive first novel. Like the best of its thematic predecessors, it is also an affecting moral allegory: don't forget your loved ones. Or else.

The most unnerving aspect of Before I Go to Sleep is the way it is rooted in the domestic, the suburban, the trivial. Forget whizz-bang futurism: it proceeds from ordinary life in tiny, terrifying steps, and is all the better for it.

Watson’s pitch-perfect writing propels the story to a frenzied climax that will haunt readers long after they’ve closed the cover on this remarkable book.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2011)

I was born tomorrow
today I live
yesterday killed me

—PARVIZ OWSIA
For my mother, and for Nicholas
The bedroom is strange.

As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me...

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love — all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.

Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis — all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac.

With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion.

What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted?

To Christine, each day
Is a blank page. Who can she
Trust? Can we trust her?
(passion4reading)

An amnesiac attempts to reconstruct her past by keeping a journal and discovers the dangerous inconsistencies in the stories of her husband and her secret doctor.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921758155, 1921758988

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,702,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible