Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel by S. J.…

Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by S. J. Watson

3,5723221,480 (3.74)1 / 178
Member:evilibby
Title:Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel
Authors:S. J. Watson
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (2011)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Similarly unreliable, damaged women trying to reconstruct their lives.
    Black Out by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The women in Before I Go To Sleep and Black Out are suffering from amnesia. They must piece together their identities in order to escape from threatening and disturbing forces at work in their lives.
    Left Neglected by Lisa Genova (JenMDB)
    After The Fall by Sarah Goodwin (GirlMisanthrope)
    Little Face by Sophie Hannah (DeeDee80)

English (303)  Dutch (10)  French (4)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (322)
Good book! The ending was not at All what I expected. Really good! ( )
  gail616 | Jun 26, 2015 |
Christine suffers from forms of amnesia and so, every time she goes to sleep at night, she loses her memory both of that day and of the last 20-30 years. Her husband, Ben, has to explain her life to her every morning. She is contacted by a doctor who suggests she records each day in a journal and she gradually begins to recover certain memories and to wonder why Ben only tells her, e.g. that she had a son, if she remembers it first.

I found the basic premise and the first third completely gripping. The middle third dragged a bit and then I began to put pieces together, although I didn't work out everything. A hopeful ending. It would make a good film. ( )
  pgchuis | Jun 25, 2015 |
BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP a strong debut by S. J. Watson--a psychological haunting suspense of one woman’s confused mind, a debilitating illness----leaving her vulnerable, alone, and frightened--unsure whom she can trust.

Based in London, Christina awakens not knowing the stranger in her bed. Ben of course, tries to comfort, assuring her they have been married for over twenty years. She discovers she has amnesia and unable to remember past events or retain new memories. Basically when she falls asleep, all her memories are gone. Zap!

She is seeing a therapist, who has encouraged her to write in her journal, similar to patients with Alzheimer’s or other brain disorders, in order to try and remember her thoughts or actions. However, she reads her words, “Do not trust Ben.” She begins to question herself and everyone around her. Where are her friends? Why is Ben so controlling and protective? Is Ben the enemy or is someone else? An affair possibly, or maybe her therapist? What caused this condition? She desperately tries to remember, as she feels she is in danger. Can she trust her therapist and is someone out to get her?

OK, several things here: I am reading (listening to the audiobook, narrated by Orlagh Cassidy, after having read S.J. Watson’s second book, The Second Life 6/5/2015. I liked the second a little better, but neither blew away--both drag; and not a huge fan of the narrator.

Also the reason for the lower rating, I just finished reading TURN OF MIND by Alice LaPlante,(surgeon/dementia/murder) THE BOOKSELLER by Cynthia Swanson (confused mind in between two lives); Paul Cleave’s TRUST NO ONE 5 Stars + (crime writer, Alzheimer’s), Lisa Genova’s STILL ALICE (professor, Alzheimer’s), and Maggie Barbieri’s ONCE UPON A LIE (retired cop, father, Alzheimer’s). Both Cleave and Barbieri add quite a bit of wit and humor, mixed with murder. Highly recommend, this list.

Before I Go to Sleep did not come close to the quality of the above; even though he does offer a nice twist; however, takes too long to arrive.

I am so in love with the Author's website design! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Jun 23, 2015 |
Months after finishing this I am still wondering about the lives of the characters after the story ended. The "villain" of the book is truly creepy and psychologically abusive. I anticipated the resolution but loved the story anyway. ( )
  kellyn | Jun 19, 2015 |

Me siento contusa con respecto al libro en su totalidad .

Por un lado , me enganchó desde el principio , en ningún momento me resultó aburrido y la trama en si me pareció bastante original (originalmente como Memento , al menos ) . Incluso en los últimos capítulos me tenia tan atrapada que no podía parar de leer hasta descubrir la resolución ...

Y sin embargo ,

cuando todo estuvo terminado , me quedo la sensación de que algo le falto para ser realmente una novela de suspenso realmente buena .

Entiendo que todos los finales son decepcionantes , que los desarrollos siempre parecen prometer mas de lo que cumplen - pero , aún así , aun conociendo los defectos usuales del genero , aún así seguía esperando mucho mas que el final dado ; alguna sorpresa , un poco mas de comprensión hacia las acciones de cada uno - mas que nada , en el ultimo capitulo , donde el final se da en explicaciones apuradas y de modo casi totalmente carente de emoción real .

Vale la pena leerlo a pesar de sus fallas . Es entretenido y mucho mas profundo que la mayoría de los thillers den género . No es acción x acción ni suspenso x suspenso nada mas : los personajes son interesantes (aunque algunos bidimensionales o meros vehículos de la trama) y cada capitulo es emocionante . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost? What if the body you woke up in was not the body you remember going to sleep in? What if you were oblivious to the events of the last 30 years of your life? Memories are what define all of us as people. But when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real, how do you make sense of that?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a middle aged woman suffering from extreme amnesia, who has no memory of what happened in her life for her past 30 years. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day.

The highly acclaimed, internationally best seller is truly a suspenseful, interesting and gripping book that will keep you entertained for all 356 pages of it. For lovers of Mysteries, this is a must read book, and I highly recommend it to everybody.
added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 28, 2013)

What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost, and unfamiliar with your own reflection in the mirror? What would you do when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a victim of an unsettling accident leaving her unable to retain memories for longer than 24 hours. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day. Keeping a diary of her daily events, she fits the pieces of her life puzzle together; she reaches a disturbing conclusion.

The Journal style format of this book creates a truly unique style of writing, one that truly pulls you into the struggles of Christine’s daily life. The narration gives the reader a striking insight into the daily battle of discovering her identity. However, the style of daily journal entries can make the book slow at parts, but much like a roller coaster, it is all simply preparation for the plunge of excitement.

For lovers of mysteries and psychological thrillers, this is a must read book. However, I still highly recommend it to everybody. The sudden flashbacks, the distorted images and the faint impression that things are not at all what they seem. This book will make you rethink all of your unclear memories; it will keep you extremely entertained.

added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 27, 2013)

The ending feels hurried; a sentimental postscript to the meticulously plotted main event. But these are minor gripes. Before I Go to Sleep is an enjoyable and impressive first novel. Like the best of its thematic predecessors, it is also an affecting moral allegory: don't forget your loved ones. Or else.

The most unnerving aspect of Before I Go to Sleep is the way it is rooted in the domestic, the suburban, the trivial. Forget whizz-bang futurism: it proceeds from ordinary life in tiny, terrifying steps, and is all the better for it.

Watson’s pitch-perfect writing propels the story to a frenzied climax that will haunt readers long after they’ve closed the cover on this remarkable book.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2011)

I was born tomorrow
today I live
yesterday killed me

—PARVIZ OWSIA
For my mother, and for Nicholas
The bedroom is strange.

As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me...

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love — all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.

Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis — all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac.

With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion.

What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted?

To Christine, each day
Is a blank page. Who can she
Trust? Can we trust her?
(passion4reading)

An amnesiac attempts to reconstruct her past by keeping a journal and discovers the dangerous inconsistencies in the stories of her husband and her secret doctor.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921758155, 1921758988

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,936,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible