Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, Book 4)…

Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, Book 4) (edition 2011)

by Chloe Neill

Member:krau0098
Title:Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, Book 4)
Authors:Chloe Neill
Info:New American Library (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library, Audio Book
Tags:Chicagoland Vampires, paranormal, fantasy, shapeshifters, vampires, urban fantasy

Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill

English (46)  Piratical (1)  All languages (47)
The characters are gaining strength. The twists and turns are growing. A long running story line ends, maybe, with this book. Not quite done listening yet.

DAMN IT! No love triangles. Sick and tired of those. Tried it once with Ethan and Morgan, then killed it (thankfully). Don't do another one. Not worth it!

-----

I'm starting to wonder if the author only know of two baseball teams. She has one cubs fan and multiple Yankee fans now. That's annoying. Otherwise, I'm still dealing with the narrator and her not always making it obvious who's speaking, not to mention her sibilant S.

Enjoying the series, especially the smart alec comments and the sass. Maybe it's just me, but that is part of what keeps drawing me in. The character admits she's new yet is showing the backbone of an ancient vampire.

Now to follow the plot of being an anti-drug book. I can live with that thought. I suspected that the plot would stab at people higher than the original level that the author always focused, though the final reveal did surprise me.

Okay, time for the next book. ( )
  gilroy | Apr 18, 2016 |
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & MoreQuickie Review
This series keeps bringing out all the stops. I never know what to expect. Well, I know there will be action and sexual tension. I mean Ethan and Merit need to just succumb to each other already dammit! There are definitely bigger plots at play, and I'm interested in seeing where they go. And that ending freaking killed me. I'm pretty sure I yelled at my mom because she didn't tell me it would be that way. She just sat there, and smiled. Evil woman. Anyway, this is a great series, and listen! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I always have this hope that behind a cheesy cover actually lies a rollicking good tale.
Alas, such is often not the case.
I picked this up from the 'free' shelf at work, saying 'ooh! sexy vampires!'
Sadly, it did not deliver.
Firstly, it was strikingly unoriginal. Basically, the author cribbed the whole scenario from Charlaine Harris, just moving the story from the South to Chicago. It's like a True Blood fanfic writer said, "well, while Sookie was having her adventures, this is what was happening elsewhere." Unfortunately, the book lacks Harris' humor and wit.
It's the fourth in a series, and around the first fourth of the book was spent in (re)introducing the characters. It was pretty boring, but I figured that the story had to get started soon... any time now.
When it did, it was a totally forgettable plot that reminded me of an episode of a cop TV show. There was also some lackluster romance. What struck me the most about it, though, was that although there were characters named as vampires, fairies and werewolves, the supernatural aspect was completely unnecessary to the plot. It was almost like, "well, paranormal is trendy right now, so make your characters vampires." You never got a good sense of the characters actually being supernatural, or acting any differently because of it. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Well, I loved it, cried with it, laughed and had the ah, moments with it. What a roller coaster ride, E ticket. I was left my with a stake in my heart, and I am smiling about it ? Great story weaving !
Merit grows into her position big time and stands for her beliefs. She is unbelievably strong, while trying to deal with her scars from the past.. Ethan he shows us his gentler side and starts to open his life to Merit. He is so gentle and loving towards her, pure sweetness. They are back stabbed, over ruled and twisted by more than one person. It's so twisted up, wait till you find out who and what is going on.
A few characters step up in the story, my favorite, Jonah. I can't wait to hear more about him. Him and his group RG seem to be stepping up in the story.
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Times are hard for newly minted vampire Merit. Ever since shapeshifters announced their presence to the world, humans have been rallying against supernaturals--and they're camping outside of Cadogan House with protest signs that could turn to pitchforks at any moment. Inside its doors, things between Merit and her Master, green-eyed heartbreaker Ethan Sullivan are ... tense. But then the mayor of Chicago calls Merit and Ethan to a clandestine meeting and tells them about a violent vamp attack that has left three women missing. His message is simple: get your House in order. Or else.

Merit needs to get to the bottom of this crime, but it doesn't help that she can't tell who's on her side. So she secretly calls in a favor from someone who's tall, dark, and part of underground vamp group that may have some deep intel on the attack. Merit soon finds herself in the heady, dark heart of Chicago's supernatural society--a world full of vampires who seem too ready to fulfill the protesting human's worst fears, and a place where she'll learn that you can't be a vampire without getting a little blood on your hands..

Times are hard for newly minted vampire Merit. Ever since shapeshifters announced their presence to the world, humans have been rallying against supernaturals -- and they're camping outside of Cadogan House with protest signs that could turn to pitchforks at any moment. Inside its doors, things between Merit and her Master, green-eyed heartbreaker Ethan Sullivan are...tense. But then the mayor of Chicago calls Merit and Ethan to a clandestine meeting and tells them about a violent vamp attack that has left three women missing. His message is simple: get your House in order. Or else. Merit needs to get to the bottom of this crime, but it doesn't help that she can't tell who's on her side. So she secretly calls in a favor from someone who's tall, dark, and part of underground vamp group that may have some deep intel on the attack. Merit soon finds herself in the heady, dark heart of Chicago's supernatural society-a world full of vampires who seem ready to fulfill the protesting human's worst fears, and a place where she'll learn that you can't be a vampire without getting a little blood on your hands...… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible