Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, Book 4)…

Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, Book 4) (edition 2011)

by Chloe Neill

Member:krau0098
Title:Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, Book 4)
Authors:Chloe Neill
Info:New American Library (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library, Audio Book
Tags:Chicagoland Vampires, paranormal, fantasy, shapeshifters, vampires, urban fantasy

Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill

Recently added byLitaVore, private library, Spurts, veredi, soccermom4no7, CarlyHansen

English (49)  Piratical (1)  All (50)

Maybe it was because I knew what's gonna happen, or because I had the next one just waiting, maybe, but I really really enjoyed this one. Ending and all. ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |

veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
Hard Bitten
3.5 Stars

Has its ups and downs.

The first half drags due to the focus on recapping events from the previous books and explaining, once again, who the various players are. By this point, readers should be aware of these details and even newcomers might want to read and find out for themselves rather than having everything told to them.

Things starts to liven up once the focus shifts to the story revolving around the vampire raves/drugs and the political issues amongst the vampires. The mystery and subsequent investigation are intriguing and the romance between Merit and Ethan ratchets up. Ethan completely redeems himself by demonstrating his love, respect and appreciation for Merit who, in turn, is still wary of his motivation but is ultimately willing to meet him halfway.

Now on to the big surprise that made numerous fans want to destroy their copy of the book and lynch the author. Thankfully, I was aware of the ending beforehand (one time I actually appreciated a spoiler) and could, therefore, prepare myself and not be completely overwhelmed. It is an emotionally tense scene and definitely opens new directions for the series whether we appreciate it or not.

The next few books are already out so I don't have to wait "forever" to find out what happens next. If this were not the case and I didn't know that Neill sorts things out satisfactorily, this book would probably be a deal breaker for me. As things stand, there is much to be done in Drink Deep in order to live up to my expectations.

On a final note, the narration is still awful. Cynthia Holloway has ONE voice only and speaks with a single accent regardless of whether a character hails from Texas or England. She also lacks emotional inflection, which detracts from the intensity of some of the scenes. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
The characters are gaining strength. The twists and turns are growing. A long running story line ends, maybe, with this book. Not quite done listening yet.

DAMN IT! No love triangles. Sick and tired of those. Tried it once with Ethan and Morgan, then killed it (thankfully). Don't do another one. Not worth it!

-----

I'm starting to wonder if the author only know of two baseball teams. She has one cubs fan and multiple Yankee fans now. That's annoying. Otherwise, I'm still dealing with the narrator and her not always making it obvious who's speaking, not to mention her sibilant S.

Enjoying the series, especially the smart alec comments and the sass. Maybe it's just me, but that is part of what keeps drawing me in. The character admits she's new yet is showing the backbone of an ancient vampire.

Now to follow the plot of being an anti-drug book. I can live with that thought. I suspected that the plot would stab at people higher than the original level that the author always focused, though the final reveal did surprise me.

Okay, time for the next book. ( )
  gilroy | Apr 18, 2016 |
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & MoreQuickie Review
This series keeps bringing out all the stops. I never know what to expect. Well, I know there will be action and sexual tension. I mean Ethan and Merit need to just succumb to each other already dammit! There are definitely bigger plots at play, and I'm interested in seeing where they go. And that ending freaking killed me. I'm pretty sure I yelled at my mom because she didn't tell me it would be that way. She just sat there, and smiled. Evil woman. Anyway, this is a great series, and listen! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

Times are hard for newly minted vampire Merit. Ever since shapeshifters announced their presence to the world, humans have been rallying against supernaturals--and they're camping outside of Cadogan House with protest signs that could turn to pitchforks at any moment. Inside its doors, things between Merit and her Master, green-eyed heartbreaker Ethan Sullivan are ... tense. But then the mayor of Chicago calls Merit and Ethan to a clandestine meeting and tells them about a violent vamp attack that has left three women missing. His message is simple: get your House in order. Or else.

Merit needs to get to the bottom of this crime, but it doesn't help that she can't tell who's on her side. So she secretly calls in a favor from someone who's tall, dark, and part of underground vamp group that may have some deep intel on the attack. Merit soon finds herself in the heady, dark heart of Chicago's supernatural society--a world full of vampires who seem too ready to fulfill the protesting human's worst fears, and a place where she'll learn that you can't be a vampire without getting a little blood on your hands..

Times are hard for newly minted vampire Merit. Ever since shapeshifters announced their presence to the world, humans have been rallying against supernaturals -- and they're camping outside of Cadogan House with protest signs that could turn to pitchforks at any moment. Inside its doors, things between Merit and her Master, green-eyed heartbreaker Ethan Sullivan are...tense. But then the mayor of Chicago calls Merit and Ethan to a clandestine meeting and tells them about a violent vamp attack that has left three women missing. His message is simple: get your House in order. Or else. Merit needs to get to the bottom of this crime, but it doesn't help that she can't tell who's on her side. So she secretly calls in a favor from someone who's tall, dark, and part of underground vamp group that may have some deep intel on the attack. Merit soon finds herself in the heady, dark heart of Chicago's supernatural society-a world full of vampires who seem ready to fulfill the protesting human's worst fears, and a place where she'll learn that you can't be a vampire without getting a little blood on your hands...… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible