The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde…

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories

by Robert Louis Stevenson

I think by now most people are familiar with the lead story in this collection, the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Knowing the general plot of the story without having read it before spoiled it a bit for me, I found it neither suspenseful nor that well written enough to make it interesting.

This is a collection of stories, notes and commentary. The table of contents says there are 6 stories, but here are really 8. Of the 8, I found the 3 that make up "The Suicide Club" the most interesting. All together the longest story in the book, it seemed to be better written and just flowed better, despite some occasional odd jumping around. Two of the others, "Thrawn Janet" and "Markheim", I really didn't enjoy much at all. Perhaps Stevenson should be better known for his YA/adventure fiction, rather than his horror/gothic fiction. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 27, 2018 |
In the title story, Mr. Utterson, a lawyer, is walking with his cousin when he hears a strange tale of a Mr. Hyde, who apparently has no conscience. Since he knows from his legal work that a respected man, Dr. Henry Jekyll, has written a strange clause into his will leaving all his property to this strange and unlikable man, Utterson determines to get to the bottom of what influence Mr. Hyde has over his friend. This story has become so much a part of our psyche that it's hard to approach it without already knowing the ending. I think I would've liked it even better if I could have somehow escaped spoilers, yet the ending lines weren't any less poignant for all that. The "science" of it all would be complete balderdash today, yet the story still explores the nature of good and evil and the heart of man.

The other short stories did not resonate with me as much, but they are still worth a read for anyone interested in Victorian Gothic and horror stories. Stevenson can definitely create a mood, and he writes some very unsettling stories. ( )
  bell7 | Aug 1, 2017 |
I found this interesting when I read it. I don't actually remember much of the detail now, but I was intrigued by the idea. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I think I've known the general plot of this story too long to think it anything more than just ok. ( )
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
A great book to read for Halloween. At it's core, a struggle between good and evil becomes personified. At novella length, it doesn't take much of a commitment to read this horrifying tale of an experiment gone wrong. ( )
  jcmontgomery | Dec 20, 2011 |

Robert Louis Stevensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, JennyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable.
All things therfore seemed to point to this; that I was slowly losing hold of my original and better self, and becoming slowly incorporated with my second and worse.
This collection by Barnes and Noble (ISBNs 1593081316, 1566197104, 1593080549, 1593083505, 1411433211, possibly others) contains 6 of Robert Louis Stevenson's stories (see Description). It should not be combined with works that contain more stories, fewer stories, or different stories. Thank you.
This is a collection of six stories. Please do not combine with other collections unless they contain the same stories. Please note that Barnes & Noble published two collections of the same name with different contents. Thanks.

This collection contains:
  1. The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  2. A lodging for the night
  3. The suicide club
  4. Thrawn Janet
  5. The body-snatcher
  6. Markheim

Dr. Jekyll invented a drug that would change him into Mr. Hyde, a foul-tempered, uncouth degenerate. His evil nature, however, became the stronger part of him and to his horror, he no longer needed the formula to transform his appearance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,980,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible