The Count of Monte Cristo (abridged) by…

The Count of Monte Cristo (abridged)

by Alexandre Dumas

Series: The Count of Monte Cristo

1,019None8,302 (4.27)1
Recently added bySCPeterson, aancevski, private library, lizatclif, jnedelka, faithx5, notion

Ah, the purplest of prose. Now reading it aloud, chapter by chapter, to one SFRIV. I do the police in voices. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
This novel is a page novel, full of action and suspense. It is a very exciting story. Unfortunately, as with many plot-driven novels, the characters are shallow.

Mr. Dumas demonstrates a keen sense of observation of society's conventions and style. He also deals with a timelness theme, showing how the Count, even once freed from prison, remains imprisoned by his need for revenge.

Glad I read it, but won't be reading any more by Dumas. ( )
  LynnB | Jun 7, 2013 |
I am so glad I finally read this. What a ride - thrilling, romantic, mysterious, - this book had it all! I loved every second of reading it and truly did not want it to end. No doubt I will be diving in again in the near future! ( )
  foreverreading | Apr 4, 2013 |
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Book Report: .Edmond Dantès is truly on top of the world...he's handsome, young, successful, and about to marry a woman he loves. His boss promoted him, his lady-love's family beams approvingly at their wedding feast, and...

...the police arrive and arrest him for treason (this takes place in the Napoleonic War era, so this was a hot-button topic), he's sent to the Chateau d'If, tortured, held despite protestations if innocence, and finally escapes with the terminal assistance of the Abbé Faria, whose death offers Edmond the means of escape and the means to achieve revenge on the horrible people who, out of jealousy, deprived him of his youth.

Revenge is, indeed, a dish best served cold.

My Review: All three and a half stars are for the revenge part. I squirmed and writhed and generally caused my undies to bunch all during the incarceration part. Oh my gracious me. Yikes. Ow.

This is one of the most appalling stories ever told, to me, because it's TRUE!! Ye gods and little fishes! Horrifying! A man actually suffered through this agony! Although he didn't escape, he was released, and the treasure was in Milan, not on the mythical island of Monte Cristo. (I've now read that so many times that I'm hungry. I do love a monte cristo sammy.) When I learned this, I was so overwhelmed with fury at the long-dead perpetrators of this heinous crime, I was almost unable to finish the book.

All in all, I can't imagine wanting to read this ever again, but the journey was worth the pain. ( )
1 vote richardderus | Mar 24, 2012 |
I thought I would enjoy this more, but I found it a bit dull. The mystery is mysterious and the drama is highly dramatic, but I wasn't absorbed by the plot and found some of the subplots distracting.

See my review at http://wp.me/p9KTB-aG

Gricel @ things-she-read.org ( )
  emperatrix | May 17, 2010 |

Alexandre Dumasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bair, LowellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On the 24th of February, 1815, the watch-tower of Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the arrival of the three-master Pharoan, from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples.
These should be the abridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451521951, Mass Market Paperback)

Edmond Dantes, a young sailor from Marseilles, soon to become captain of his own ship and married to his beloved, finds himself betrayed by spiteful enemies and condemned to lifelong imprisonment. A novel of intrigue, suspense and love now debuting as a Signet Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:42 -0400)

Wrongfully imprisoned for 14 years, Edmond Dants escapes to the island of Monte Cristo. What awaits him there is a fortune in gold--and a new identity with which to pursue his revenge and redemption.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140449264, 0451529707

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible