Hereafter by Tara Hudson

Authors:Tara Hudson
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:***

Hereafter by Tara Hudson

English (64)  Dutch (1)  All languages (65)
Not earth-shattering, but a good story from a new perspective. Very YA, with plenty of young love angst. Judging this book by its cover, though, I would have been disappointed. The story doesn't live up to that gorgeous cover. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
I devoured this book.
It left me without air till the last page.
Tara Hudson really hit the target here. This impossible love story is amazing and the protagonist's discovery of her old and new self it's made in the right time and moment. written very well, can't wait to read the next of the series. ( )
  Sarah.Hansrote | May 24, 2014 |
Hereafter has an atmospheric, hypnotic quality and an intriguing premise. There is a living/dead couple, a ghost with a memory problem, evil spirits, and high stakes mysteries to solve. The premise is strong, the writing is descriptive and lovely, and the cover is gorgeous. On the flip side though, the pace is a bit slow for my taste. A little more action sprinkled throughout the book would have kicked it to the next level.

Amelia has tragically died. As a ghost, she drifts alone at the site of her death with no memory of her life. Suddenly she awakens from her fog when she finds Joshua drowning in the same river where she died. Joshua’s brush with death triggers his ability to see Amelia. When Amelia saves Joshua, it’s love at first sight for the unlikely pair. To further complicate matters, Joshua grandmother is a Seer, someone who can see and banish ghosts. Joshua has picked up this seer talent, and his grandmother wants Amelia gone now. An evil spirit named Eli lurks around Amelia. He wants to recruit her to the dark side, but he seems to have some of the answers Amelia seeks about her death.

Amelia leads a sad and lonely afterlife and is scared of everything around her. When she latches on to Joshua, that’s when she begins to wake up, so to speak. She starts to remember bits of her past but is frightened of what she might find out. She does eventually discover that she has some cool powers as a ghost, even though she can’t walk through doors by herself. Joshua is a nice guy and committed to their forbidden romance despite the many obstacles they have to overcome.

Since this is the first book of a trilogy, there are many questions that linger. I would like for the sequel to address Joshua’s family history of Seers. It would be interesting to learn more about Amelia’s powers, and about Eli and the netherworld.

The book did not stand out to me overall due to the pacing and the lack of character depth. It is an entertaining read but not as memorable as other Paranormals on the shelves.

Although this book was not my favorite, fans of YA Paranormals such as Hush Hush or Fallen should give it a try. The book overall has a moody and dreamlike quality, and a love story that should appeal to many YA fans. The next book in the series is called Arise. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
Here’s another one that I was really excited for. Luckily, this time, my hope wasn’t in vain. I truly enjoyed this book. It felt so original to me, and brought freshness to the paranormal romance genre. I’ve read a ton (probably literally) of YA paranormal, and I don’t ever recall anything like this. Woo for being fresh!

I liked that the action started right at the beginning. At first, we don’t really know about Amelia or what she is. It’s pretty ambiguous, but we’re let in on the secret quickly. I like that it wasn’t a long, drawn out process of getting to THE REVEAL. Sometimes a book can go on and on and on forever, you know? It gets old. So I liked being let in on it quickly.

And I liked Amelia. She wasn’t the typical ‘wait for the man to rush in and save the day’ kind of heroine that we frequently see. She does take matters into her own hands and discovers her abilities in her own way and in her own time. Nothing is completely thrust on her.

I thought Joshua was a credible love interest. His ability to see/feel Amelia didn’t seem at all hokey to me once it was explained. It made sense that he’d be able to see her after having a death experience, especially with his family history.

I liked the story, liked the way things flowed, and liked the way that Amelia gradually remembered more from her past as time went on. She had to grow, and I feel like as a reader, I was able to go on that journey with her with the way the story was written. I didn’t feel like I was being asked to swallow a load of garbage all at once.

I’d recommend this to any fans of YA paranormal, and especially fans of ghost stories. I know I’ll be continuing on with this series. I’m giving this a ‘Drool Worthy’ rating. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
"Se fosse per sempre" è il primo libro d'esordio di Tara Hudson della serie Hereafter ed è un paranormal romance molto carino e adatto ad un pubblico giovane.
All'inizio è molto lento ma con il susseguirsi della storia si comincia a capire bene i ruoli ed i caratteri dei vari personaggi ai quali mi sono affezionata facilmente.
Amelia è una ragazza sui diciotto anni che ogni giorno, da non si sa quanti anni, si sveglia in riva ad un fiume; non ricorda nulla di tutto ciò che è successo prima di ritrovarsi a vagare sulle sue rive, nè quanti anni ha, nè come si chiama e nè chi era prima di diventare un fantasma. Amanda è morta in quelle torbide acque e ad esse è rimasta legata ma non sa come sia morta, se sia buttata di sua volontà o se sia stato un incidente.
Nello scorrere degli anni la ragazza ha cercato molte volte di comunicare con i vivi che le capitavano vicino cercando da loro aiuto ma tutto è sempre risultato vano.
Un giorno Amanda assiste all'incidente di un giovane che cade dal ponte del fiume con la sua macchina.
Ma rimane impotente davanti al corpo quasi esanime del ragazzo che galleggia in fondo al fiume; cerca di svegliarlo urlando ma non può sentirla. Ad un tratto il ragazzo riprende i sensi e sembra che il suo sguardo sia rivolto proprio ad Amanda, ma non può essere, nessuno può vedere le anime perdute dei morti!
Annaspando e combattendo per sopravvivere il ragazzo raggiunge la superficie e quindi la riva del fiume dove tempestivamente i soccorsi lo adagiano sulla lettiga.
Amanda lo segue passo passo per accertarsi che stia bene e cercando di non urtare nessuno si avvicina di nuovo a lui anche per capire se il ragazzo può davvero vederla.
Appena riapre gli occhi incrocia di nuovo il suo sguardo e questa volta le parla chiedendogli chi è ma purtroppo neanche Amanda ha una risposta a questa domanda; sono troppe le domande che lei vorrebbe fare al ragazzo... perchè riesce a vederla e chi era prima di ritrovarsi morta tra i vivi?!
Joshua, questo il nome del ragazzo, cercherà di aiutare a capire e a scoprire insieme ad Amanda cosa c'è nel suo passato e cosa le riserva il futuro, se così si può definirlo...ma una minaccia oscura attenta alla loro felicità!

E' una storia molto carina quella che si sviluppa tra Amanda e Joshua ed ho apprezzato l'originalità dell'argomento del quale non avevo mai letto storie simili.
L'autrice ha dedicato buona parte del libro a descrivere minuziosamente le sensazioni di Amanda e di Joshua anche se a volte è stata prolissa nel descriverle e avrei preferito che dedicasse un po' più di tempo allo svolgimento della storia tra Amanda e Joshua. I personaggi e i luoghi sono comunque ben descritti e delineati e a tratti mi sono anche emozionata durante lo svolgersi degli eventi.
La storia racchiude tanti elementi che lo rendono molto piacevole:romanticismo, azione e suspance!Un mix azzeccato!
Consiglio questo libro non impegnativo ma scorrevole e leggero per passare delle piacevoli ore in compagnia di un fantasma come Amanda fuori dal comune. Sono molto curiosa di sapere cosa accadrà nel prossimo libro della serie che è "Dove finisce il buio".
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
To Robert. In an instant. In a heartbeat.
It was the same as always, but different from the first time.

Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.

Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.

Thrilling and evocative, with moments of pure pleasure, Hereafter is a sensation you won't want to miss.

Amelia, long a ghost, forms a strong bond with eighteen-year-old Joshua, who nearly drowned where she did and who awakens in her long-forgotten senses and memories even as Eli, a spirit, tries to draw her away.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,800,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible