Embassytown by China Mieville

Embassytown (original 2011; edition 2011)

by China Mieville

Member:tcgardner
Title:Embassytown
Authors:China Mieville
Info:Del Rey (2011), Hardcover, 368 pages

Embassytown by China Miéville (2011)

Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Cherryh excels in writing really alien aliens and always focuses on the nuances of languages.
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Miéville has written a philosophical science fiction novel that rocks and is not bloated: Stephenson please take note.
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (BeckyJG)
    Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany (kevinashley)
    kevinashley: Both these books take the relationship between language and thought as central themes. They explore it in different ways but with a similar thoroughness; both really explore just how 'other' alien can be.
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell (ansate)
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (BeckyJG)
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (santhony)
    santhony: Science fiction as seen through the prism of anthropology and sociology.
    The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber (KatyBee)
    The Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbert (santhony)
    santhony: Philosophical Science Fiction

English (137)  German (1)  All languages (138)
So far, the best China Miéville book I have ever read. ( )
  FourOfFiveWits | Feb 23, 2015 |
Like Mieville's The City and the City, the world building in Embassytown blew me away. It was a bit hard to follow as an audiobook because the world was complex and there was no exposition, but I loved how the author slowly revealed the world as the plot unfolded. The plot itself took a bit of a backseat (inevitable, perhaps, with world building this good) . I was interested in finding out what happened, but I was far less engaged towards the more action-packed ending than I was at the beginning, when I couldn't wait to piece together more about the world the author created.

Also like The City and the City, Mieville doesn't do much explaining of why things are the way they are, but in this case, that was a good thing. The alien race he creates seems to be in some ways beyond human comprehension and I love that. Even alien races who aren't described as being humanoid so often act like people. In reality, I think aliens would be more likely to resemble the ciphers Mieville creates. I liked the focus on the power of language in the story, which was strengthened by the author's incredible use of language to tell the story. I thought he invented believable slang and wrote amazing, vivid descriptions by using words in very unique ways. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone looking for an action-packed plot, but would highly recommend it (as a physical book especially) to anyone looking for beautiful writing and superb world building.This review was originally posted on Doing Dewey. ( )

DoingDewey | Feb 6, 2015 |
Readers who want to delve no further than turning the pages will come away satisfied with "Embassytown," because Mieville's fertile imagination has created a fascinating alien species to go along with plenty of familiar human drama.

It is a miracle of a novel, one where Big Ideas cohabitate with Monsters, and neither is lessened by what academic propriety insists must be capital letters.

Miéville has a muscular intellect, successfully building a science fictional world around semiotics. For some readers, that will be enough.

I don’t hold this will to abstraction against him. Genre writers, and for that matter writers of the well-wrought middlebrow novel, mostly tell the usual stories in the usual way: narrative and character are advanced through conventional action. Miéville is up to something else.

In this sense, Embassytown plays out as a novel of metropolitan-colonial conflict, holding out the hope that language might not serve only as a tool of oppression, but be reclaimed as the instrument that makes resistance possible.

Miéville, Chinaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Uchida, MasayukiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The word must communicate something (other than itself)."
Walter Benjamin, "On Language as such and on the Language of Man"
To Jesse
The children of the embassy all saw the boat land.
"I don't want to be a simile anymore," I said. "I want to be a metaphor."

On a distant planet in the far future, humans and an alien race coexist in a nonviolent but nonetheless uncomfortable arrangement. In general, they don't hurt one another, but they're not necessarily happy to share the city together. It is a marriage of convenience, arranged for economic reasons. But when a new group of humans arrives on the planet, one current citizen—a young woman—begins to realize that things are about to change for the worse.
The Hosts - who are they?
Avise the simile, all
Ends in social change.
(mclewe)

Avice Benner Cho, a human colonist on a distant planet populated by the Ariekei, sentient beings famed for their unique language, returns to Embassytown after many years of deep space exploration to find she has become a living simile in the Ariekei language even though she cannot speak it, and she is torn by competing loyalties when hostilities erupt between humans and aliens.… (more)

498 wanted4 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Embassytown by China Miéville was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,283,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible