The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (1989)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Lane Smith (Illustrator)

English (299)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (301)
I liked this book for two reasons. First, the point of view is different than an average three little pigs story. The story is told in the Wolf's point of view. In doing so, I learned that the Wolf wasn't a big mean wolf; he was simply looking for sugar so that he could make a birthday cake for his dear old granny. Second, the plot was organized and had conflict. The conflict wasn't that the Wolf was big and bad. He was trying to find sugar and kept sneezing, causing the pigs houses to fall. I liked how even though the pigs were not telling their story there was still conflict and conflict that was not expected. Who would have thought that the wolf portrayed as big and bad would be doing something as kind as making a birthday cake for his dear old granny? The big idea of the story is that everyone has his or her own point of view in every story. This book gave us insight on the Wolf's point of view. ( )
  kmcpha3 | Mar 2, 2015 |
Love hearing the wolf's side of the story! Great for teaching kids that there are always two sides to a story. ( )
  SammiP | Mar 2, 2015 |
I wish I could've read this book back in 1989 (curse you Baby-Sitters Club and Fear Street for taking up so much of my tween reading!) If I had known about and read The True Story of the Three Little Pigs way back then, my 11-year-old suspicions that just maybe the Wolf wasn't the monster he was made out to be would have been validated a lot earlier in my life. I loved Alexander T. Wolf's voice and the fact that he wore spectacles. But my favorite part about this story was that, at "The End", I was not 100% sure A. Wolf really was wrongfully convicted. Fun, fun, fun!

5 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Mar 2, 2015 |
The True Story Of The Three Little Pigs is a great book because it opens up the mind of young readers as they begin to use critical thinking skills while they read.I believe that I loved how prior knowledge was in the back of my mind while I read this books and it makes the reader intrigued. It is different and interesting book to read and I loved the detail the author put in the book.
  pbusto1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
Summary:
This story is retold from the perspective of Wolf. He claims that the story everyone knows is all wrong. He wanted to make a cake for his granny and needed a cup of sugar. So he visited his neighbors who happened to be pigs. The wolf also had a cold, so blowing the pigs houses down were accidents. When the media go a hold of the story, they evidently didn't care for the true story. They named him the "Big Bad Wolf" and changed the story to look like he was bad.

Personal Reaction:
I really love this version of the three little pigs. How are we to know that the wolf is even telling the truth? In most stories, wolves are often the bad characters or the antagonists of the story, so it's easy to question if the wolf is telling the truth or not!

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.One student or even teacher can be the"The Big Bad Wolf" and the other students pretend to be reporters and ask questions to get their own opinions if the wolf is telling the truth or not.
2.Students build their own houses to see if it can withstand the wolf's sneeze.
  Megan_Livsey | Feb 11, 2015 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,794,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible