The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (1989)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Lane Smith (Illustrator)

English (278)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (280)
This is not your typical story of the three little pigs, this is the big bad wolfs side of the story. It's not what you thought it would be and spin on the classic story that makes you feel bad for the wolf. This is a good book to give a different point of view on a story. ( )
  jsylve | Oct 8, 2014 |
This book is a parody of The Three Little Pigs as told by the Big Bad Wolf, known in the book as "A. Wolf," short for "Alexander T. Wolf." I loved this book when I was in elementary school and I used to read it many times over. It kept me very entertained and engaged. I would like to use this book because the language is funny and will keep my kids listening and wanting to read more. I think this book would fit older elementary students who can read on their own. 3rd-5th grade. ( )
  mitichkk | Oct 8, 2014 |
Pretty funny. My 6yo continued to reference it for quite a while after reading it, and now I believe that she thinks this is the real story. ( )
  lquilter | Oct 5, 2014 |
When I came across this book, I could not believe how well written and convincing it was. This book is a fractured fairytale version of the Three Little Pigs. In this case, the story is being told by the wolf's point of view when he tries to explain that everything is a misunderstanding, and he wasn't trying to eat the pigs. I truly believe this book is a wonderful tool to introduce a point of view lesson, comparison and contrast and cause and effect. Very nicely written, it makes the readers want to believe the poor wolf's story who just happened to be at the wrong place, at the wrong time. Definitely a must have and one of my favorite ones. ( )
  cvarela | Oct 2, 2014 |
It is the retold version of the three little pigs, the author changes the point of view of the story. Usually readers sympathize with the pigs. Here, readers hear the wolf's side of the story. We should ask students to write about whether or not they are convinced by the wolf's version of the story. Moral: There are two sides to every story. ( )
  hatease | Sep 25, 2014 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,390,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible