The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (1989)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Lane Smith (Illustrator)

English (280)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (282)
In my opinion, the book, “The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs” is a funny story that I enjoyed reading. A traditional reading, this story is based off of the well-known fable, “The Three Little Pigs.” When I read this story to the little girl I nanny, she giggled the entire time! I loved how the point of view was in the perspective of the “Big Bad Wolf.” The wolf was a hilarious and well-developed character. Being in the wolf’s point-of-view, he was able to defend himself based on why he is neither big nor bad. In addition to this, the language is both expressive and imaginative. The wolf truly felt as though he needed to clear up this story. He did this by expressing his need for a cup of sugar, for his dear old granny’s cake, of course. The language is imaginative because the characters are talking animals and thus the story contains elements that violate natural laws of our world. The big idea of this book is to recreate the old story, explaining what “actually” happened, in a new amusing way. ( )
  Ebutzn1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
In the book The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, the wolf tells his side of the story. He was just baking a cake for his granny and needed a cup of sugar. Unfortunately he had a cold and every time he went to a pig’s house he sneezed and blew it down. He also didn’t believe in wasting food, so he ate the first two pigs that died in these accidents. The last pig insulted his granny and so he lost his temper and when the police came they saw him acting out of control and called he the Big Bad Wolf.
This story I think is so funny. It’s a fun way to show children that sometimes things and people are misunderstood. I remember reading this book in school, and I want to keep reading it to my students one day. Hopefully they will like it as much as I do.
Classroom extensions:
1. After reading the book, have the kids play telephone to see how stories can get changed very easily.
2. For creative writing, have children pick a villain in a different story, and have the children create an explanation for why that villain may have behaved that way.
  CiaraLohman | Oct 22, 2014 |
This is not your typical story of the three little pigs, this is the big bad wolfs side of the story. It's not what you thought it would be and spin on the classic story that makes you feel bad for the wolf. This is a good book to give a different point of view on a story. ( )
  jsylve | Oct 8, 2014 |
This book is a parody of The Three Little Pigs as told by the Big Bad Wolf, known in the book as "A. Wolf," short for "Alexander T. Wolf." I loved this book when I was in elementary school and I used to read it many times over. It kept me very entertained and engaged. I would like to use this book because the language is funny and will keep my kids listening and wanting to read more. I think this book would fit older elementary students who can read on their own. 3rd-5th grade. ( )
  mitichkk | Oct 8, 2014 |
Pretty funny. My 6yo continued to reference it for quite a while after reading it, and now I believe that she thinks this is the real story. ( )
  lquilter | Oct 5, 2014 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,420,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible