The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (1989)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Lane Smith (Illustrator)

English (366)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (368)
This is a book that I had forgotten about for a while but one of my students brought it up to read for read aloud one day. I forgot how witty it was and it's another great one to use for characterization and point of view. It's also good to use to teach that things aren't always as they seem. The wolf in this story is telling what REALLY happened to those 3 little pigs. He really only had a cold but went to borrow some sugar. He accidentally sneezed the houses down and it would have been a shame to leave that meat just lying around. No one believed him though and he ended up in jail. It's great for read alouds and kids love repeating the huff and puff parts. ( )
  LaurenCollins85 | Nov 24, 2015 |
This fairy-tale was interesting because it was a different interpretation of a common fairytale, the three little pigs. In this silly story the wolf explained why he shouldn't be guilty and that it wasn't ever his intention to kill the three little pigs. I wouldn't use this in the classroom for a mentor text but I would definitely have it for the kids to read on their own for fun in my book library. ( )
  sommerkirk | Nov 24, 2015 |
I liked this book because everyone knows the story of the three little pigs and this is now the Wolf's side of the story. I feel like could also be a lesson to kids that there are always two sides of a story. I thought this was a very cute book and good for showing different social contexts. ( )
  nicole.emanuele | Nov 23, 2015 |
The Big Bad Wolf tells his side of the story of what really went down with the three little pigs and how misunderstood his side of events is. Funny, I think kids will appreciate it. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible