The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (1989)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Lane Smith (Illustrator)

English (287)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (289)
Summary:

This story is the same story of the original ‘Three Little Pigs,’ but it’s being told by the wolf. Being retold by the wolf, he shares with the reader his side of the story. He claims that he’s not the so-called ‘big bad wolf’ that everyone thinks he is from the original fairy tale. In his story he tells about how he was making a cake for his grandmother’s birthday when he ran out of sugar. He took his measuring cup and walked to the neighbor’s house to ask for some sugar. The neighbor happened to be the first little pig in the straw house. Now because the wolf had a bad cold, he ended up sneezing and blowing down the pig’s home. Because of this incident the pig died and the wolf ate him because he didn’t want to let a good meal go to waste. Now the same thing happened for the pig that lived in the house made of sticks, but the wolf was caught when he tried asking the third pig in the house of bricks. Because the reporters didn’t believe his story about his cold and the sugar, they spiced it up and made him look like a big bad wolf.

Comments (opinions/arguments):

I really enjoyed reading the original ‘Three Little Pigs’ from the wolf’s perspective. I think this makes for a great addition story for children because it shows them more about one of the main characters in the original fairy tale. I also really enjoyed the humor behind the story and how the author wanted the readers to know that the wolf wasn’t all that bad as he is portrayed in the other story version. I also think the illustrations were thoughtfully planned and really help reenact the story. The central message of this story is to take an original fairy tale and show children another perspective of a character who isn’t told very much about in the original version that everyone knows. ( )
  BrookeMattingly | Dec 16, 2014 |
Summary:
This children's book is a story about the three little pigs and the big bad wolf who tries to chase after the three little pigs. This version is a plot twist and told by a different point of view than the traditional book. Readers get to hear the other side of the story of “The Three Little Pigs.”

Review:
I have always loved the class story of the "Three Little Pigs" and it was humerous to read the story from another point of view. I really like how they "remade" the story in a way and it brought me back to my childhood. The moral of this story is to work hard for what you want and to never take the easy way out. Even if there are obstacles like the Big Bad Wolf. ( )
  mnorth2 | Dec 9, 2014 |
“The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!” is a fantastic rendition of the classic fable, the Three Little Pigs, told from the perspective of the wolf. Students would definitely enjoy this book because almost everyone is familiar with the classic fable, but it is interesting and silly when told from a different perspective. Another reason I enjoyed the book is because of the conversational style that it is written in. For example, the author writes, “I’m the wolf. Alexander T. Wolf. You can all me Al.” and But like I was saying, the whole Big Bad Wolf thing is all wrong.” This is a very appealing form of storytelling where the reader is able to feel like he/she is a part of the story. Lastly, I thought the illustrations were very interesting and unique. The illustrator used a very dark, earthy palette, and drew many close ups, rather than landscapes of full scenes. I think that this adds to the somber, and even angry, mood of the story. The main idea is to tell a classic fable from the perspective of the antagonist. ( )
  cschne11 | Dec 3, 2014 |
Great twist on a classic story. Great for readers to be introduced to another side of writing/reading point of view. ( )
  magarcia | Nov 30, 2014 |
A twist on the classic folktale of the Three Little Pigs. This story is told through the eyes of the wolf and the illustrations are wonderfully done. I remember reading this in grade school and racing to the library with my neighbor to check it out at the library.....what nerds (ha.) I gravitate towards twists on classics to mix things up. Highly recommended. ( )
  lolhscybrarian | Nov 30, 2014 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,384,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible