The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (1989)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Lane Smith (Illustrator)

English (407)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (409)
Al the wolf is telling his side of the story. He was baking his grandma a cake and ran out of sugar. So he went door to door to ask to borrow some. Each house had a pig living inside it, and the longer he walked, the more he got hungry. By the end of it, he became the big bad wolf. ( )
  mloya | May 3, 2016 |
I love this book! This book always stuck out to me as a child because I thought it was interesting to see this familiar story from a different perspective. Instead of this story being told through the little pigs eyes where they blame the wolf for all of their misfortunes, it is told by the wolf. This takes the familiar story that most children know and give it a twist. Because of the different point of view children are eager to compare the two different stories to see what stays the same and what changes. The illustrations are very detailed and funny which will keep the child's attention while reading. The main idea is to be able to see things from another persons point of view or perspective because it might not always be how you think it is.
  amyadams19 | May 3, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book for two reasons. The plot of the story was my favorite part. I think that it was funny to hear the classic story of the Three Little Pigs being told from the perspective of the wolf. I enjoyed how they made the wolf into the good guy, when he has always been thought of as the antagonist. I also liked the illustrations throughout the book. The way they were done made the story look really old and like it was from another time. This was something I do not see very often, and I enjoyed it. The big idea in this book is that you should always hear and consider all sides to a story before passing judgement. ( )
  maddieburchell | Apr 30, 2016 |
I would use this book as a read aloud. Even though it is more fluff rather in quality literature, it is fun and may offer students who are shy an opportunity to express themselves through acting. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 29, 2016 |
This is a book I would likely use with third graders. I would start by reading the original 3 little pigs as a read aloud, to ensure that all of my students are familiar with it. Then, I would read this book aloud to them (perhaps the next day or later in the week). Then, I would have the children compare the 2 stories. They would compare things such as the point of view the story was being told from, differences in the plot, and different character traits. I would have them discuss as a class while we are at the carpet and then I would ask them to go back to their seats and write a journal entry about it.
  aburgin01 | Apr 29, 2016 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible