The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (1989)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Recently added byKDKat5, Tinacamp67, Alloc, SandovalMCL, Ber239, private library, ECFEW7th, cheekylala, sobcrca

English (273)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (275)
I absolutely loved this book when I was kid. And reading it today, I used a 1930's gangster accent in my mind as I was reading it due to the context and the setting go the story. This book was unique and creative from the authors perspective. The kids will enjoy this book because once they get older and have a more understanding, they'll know how creative this story is. It was a good funny book and if I had to tell the story to the Three Little Pigs, I would tell this instead of the traditional story that everyone knows. This is a very unique book. This is a traditional literature.
  Patrick-Shea14 | Sep 17, 2014 |
Almost everyone has heard of the "Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf" story. This book offers another side of the story from the Wolf's point of view. It explains how the wolf was wrongfully accused of what he had done to the pigs.
  astinchavez | Sep 16, 2014 |
SUMMARY
Alexander T. Wolf, aka the Big Bad Wolf, claims that the story of the Three Little Pigs was not the real story. He was making a cake for his grandmother, while he had a cold, when he realized he did not have any sugar. He went to each house looking for sugar, but ended up sneezing and blowing the houses down. He only ate the pigs because he didn't want to waster perfectly good food.

REVIEW
I am a big fan of fairytales and love classic stories like The Three Little Pigs. I like that this book flips the perspective and tells the story from the eyes of the Big Bad Wolf. It adds a different depth to the story and is a fun retelling of a classic tale. It's also a great vehicle to introduce point of view, especially if used in conjunction with the original Three Little Pigs. Students can learn how different points of view can influence the a story and skew one's opinion, much like when the wolf's sneezing and frustration was seen as him being violent and terrorizing the three pigs. I also think students will be able to appreciate the humor of the Big Bad Wolf. ( )
  tstato1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
In this twist off of the original three little pig stories; the wolf is now the narrator and he is telling his side. He says he just had a cold and when he asked the pigs for sugar they were rude. His cold started to act up at each of the pigs' houses and he ended up sneezing so hard he blew two of the houses down. Since the pigs were dead he found it to be his duty to eat them up. This story didn't teach me much, but it did show the importance of hearing both sides of story. Also, that when building a house it is important to build with sturdy materials.
  KristinHopwood | Sep 10, 2014 |
One of my FAVORITE books when I was little. I remember the first time I saw it was in second grade. Mrs. Kiffer read it to us. Read this one... to your kids, your dog, your turtle, yourself, WHOEVER! Guaranteed to make you at least crack a smile! ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,971,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible