The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (original 1989; edition 1996)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:rdchavez
Title:The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1996), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:traditional literature, fiction, Picture Books
Tags:animals, funny, fairy tale, point of view

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (1989)

English (270)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (272)
One of my FAVORITE books when I was little. I remember the first time I saw it was in second grade. Mrs. Kiffer read it to us. Read this one... to your kids, your dog, your turtle, yourself, WHOEVER! Guaranteed to make you at least crack a smile! ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
I love this twist of the story of the three little pigs. I love that the author change the point of view on this classic tale. I love that the wolf got to tell his side of the story. I own a copy of this book.
  BeckyPugh | Jul 21, 2014 |
Summary:
This twist on a classic story is simply humorous. This portrays the wolf as the good guy! He wanted to make a birthday cake for his sweet old granny. So he goes to his first neighbors house, the little pig with the straw house. After knocking, the house falls and kills the pig. He sees this as dinner. He then travels to the second little pigs house, made of wood. After the pig rudely told him to go away, he sneezed a great sneeze, which knocked down the house, again, killing the pig. He described this as seconds. Finally, he knocked on the third pigs house made of brick. This pig was just as rude. The wolf had another great sneeze, which sent him into a fury. The cops drove by and took the "Big Bad Wolf" to jail. He was framed.
Personal Reaction:
This in one of my favorites from my childhood! There is nothing better than taking a long time classic, and changing it just enough to make it a new story.
Extension Ideas:
1. Ask students if they believe the wolf's story or the pig's story more. Why?
2. Draw each house, labeling what material is being used.
3. Create the houses the students drew, using straw, popsicle sticks, and lego blocks. Have students blow their houses down, seeing which one is most stable.
  alexis.smith | Jul 10, 2014 |
Tags: Traditional Literature, Pigs, Houses

Summary: An all time classic! Anyone who tells you they don't like this book is just not...fun? I love this book because it tells so much about using your mind and letting your mind travel while you reading more and more into this story.

Personal Reaction: My kids have a Melissa and Doug 3 Little Pigs toy set with a wolf, 3 pigs and 3 houses. Each time my kids pick this as their story time read, they make me pull out the pigs, wolf and houses. My kids tell me I have to have the props in order to make the story flow, I just think it's to make the story last longer and them getting to stay awake longer, but hey, who am I to judge, ha.

Extension Ideas: Explaining the factors involved with the characters of this story is key to make the ones your reading it to really understand what your reading to them, especially reading to them without a book with pictures. While reading a book to them with pictures and then adding props, it brings out the excitement, ideas, and bright smiles form those listening to make it a real worth while experience for your the reader and those your reading too! ( )
  armyflyingguy | Jul 9, 2014 |
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs is the story of The Three Little Pigs told from the wolf's point of view. The wolf, acting as a nice guy who was just portrayed to be bad, had a very bad cold and was making his grandma a cake when he ran out of sugar. His first neighbor had a house built out of straw and happened to be a pig. When the wolf knocked on his door it fell in. He tried calling in for the pig to ask if he was home. After he had no answer from the pig he started feeling like he had to sneeze and when he did he accidentally made the house fall in. When he discovered the pig he eat because he didn't just want to leave it. He continued onto the next house on his hunt for sugar which happened to be the pigs brother. This house was built of sticks. After being told to go away he tried holding his sneeze but couldn't and when he sneezed the house fell in. Since the second pig was dead he ate him too. He continued to the next neighbor for sugar, the pig's brother (whose house was made of bricks.) After being told to leave he sneezed and the pig said his granny could sit on a pin and that made him get angry. The police arrived as he was huffing and puffing and trying to break in his house. The newspaper wanted to make it sound worse so made him out to be a monster.

This book is now in my top 5 books to read to my kids. I'm going to read The Three Little Pigs then follow up with this one to my kids to see their reaction, I hope they find it just as funny as I did. The main character here is the wolf, with the three little pigs still in this story just not the main character. The tone in this book is kind of sad on his end as he is being made out to sound like a monster but to the audience it could be a happy/funny tone. This book could be either a symmetrical or enhancing interaction because, while the pictures and text tell the same story just different formats the illustrations help to add meaning to the words. The pictures are kind of dark so it helps add to the story. The setting is in their neighborhood (a forest.) I would say the theme to this book is that no matter the circumstances there is always two sides to every story.

Two classroom extensions: After reading the story ask the students if the believe the wolf's side of the story, why or why not? Or if they think the pigs were telling the story, why or not? Second, ask the students to write/draw the story like they would have if they had actually saw what happened that day between the pigs and the wolf.
  bm091113 | Jul 2, 2014 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible