The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (original 1989; edition 1996)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:rdchavez
Title:The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1996), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:traditional literature, fiction, Picture Books
Tags:animals, funny, fairy tale, point of view

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by A. Wolf by Jon Scieszka (1989)

English (309)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (311)
I have loved this book ever since I heard it as a child! What makes this book so interesting is the humor Jon Scieszka adds to the very traditional story of the three little pigs. For example, the book ends with the wolf still talking about how everything that happened only happened because he was looking for a cup of sugar for a cake. This humor is funny to both adults and kids because we can all relate to someone trying to act more innocent than they really are. Another reason I like this book is the illustrators work. The cover looks like the wolf is on the front page of a newspaper which makes the book seem more realistic. It also shows the reader that maybe there is more to the story than just the wolf being "bad", The illustrations and the story go perfectly together! The big idea of the story is to not judge a book by its cover! ( )
  jcuttitta | Apr 5, 2015 |
When reading this story I found that I really enjoyed reading for three main reasons. The first reason is that I think it is a fun spin on a classic story. I found it as a fun read for a reader of any age. Another thing I liked about this story is the writing of the story, it was a well written story and there was not a lot of hard vocab for younger students and there was not a lot of writing on each page. Lastly, I really enjoyed the illustrations in the story. The reason is that the illustrations were easily understood and matched the text perfectly. That is why I liked this story.
  Ekelle8 | Apr 5, 2015 |
There are a couple reasons I enjoyed this book. To start, this book is a unique twist on the classic Three Little Pigs fairy tale. The point of view in this story is very engaging and differs from the classic in the sense that the wolf's point of view is taken into account. From telling the story in this point of view, the reader learns that the wolf is no longer the "big bad wolf." He is actually innocently inquiring the pigs about sugar in order for him to make a cake for his grandma. This point of view will appeal to many readers especially if they have read the classic fairy tale version because it is so different. I also really enjoyed the writing of the story. Since the wolf is the storyteller, he talks in such a way that convinces the reader that he is completely innocent. The writing is extremely engaging and flows well. The wolf talks to readers in a colloquial manner. For example, in the opening paragraph of the book, the wolf want's to "[...] let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has heard my side of the story." This statement alone grabs readers attention simply because it is written so well. The text held my attention and I'm sure it will do the same for other readers. The main message of this book is to always hear out another's point of view because it might surprise you. The wolf's point of view definitely surprised me. ( )
  mpotts1 | Apr 4, 2015 |
Has a great lead! John does a great job giving voice to the wolf. It's a great story of examples for open ended questions.
  peyrobs | Mar 31, 2015 |
I really liked that this book told the story from the wolf's point of view. This allows students to see and hear how there can be many different versions of a story. I also like that this book gave a clear conflict, which students struggle with sometimes. The problem isn't about the wolf being mean, rather then him needing sugar. I also like the pictures. The pictures were very colorful and clearly showed what each house looked like due to their different materials. For example, one home was built out of straw and when the wolf blew, the illustration showed the thin straw blowing through the wind.
  bmille16 | Mar 25, 2015 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,608,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible