The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (original 1989; edition 1996)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:rdchavez
Title:The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1996), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:traditional literature, fiction, Picture Books
Tags:animals, funny, fairy tale, point of view

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (1989)

English (404)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (406)
I would use this book as a read aloud. Even though it is more fluff rather in quality literature, it is fun and may offer students who are shy an opportunity to express themselves through acting. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 29, 2016 |
This is a book I would likely use with third graders. I would start by reading the original 3 little pigs as a read aloud, to ensure that all of my students are familiar with it. Then, I would read this book aloud to them (perhaps the next day or later in the week). Then, I would have the children compare the 2 stories. They would compare things such as the point of view the story was being told from, differences in the plot, and different character traits. I would have them discuss as a class while we are at the carpet and then I would ask them to go back to their seats and write a journal entry about it.
  aburgin01 | Apr 29, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a great book. First, the plot is a twist on the original plot by changing the story’s to a different character’s point of view, the wolf. The wolf says the story was all wrong. For instance, “But like I was saying, the whole big bad wolf thing is all wrong. The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.” The second reason I liked the book is because of the believable character of the wolf. The author goes in to great detail to personify the wolf to create a well-developed character. An example, “I was making a birthday cake for my dear old granny. I had a terrible sneezing cold. I ran out of sugar.” The character is relatable because he is doing something kind for his granny. The big idea is to get everyone’s side of the story to get to the truth. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 27, 2016 |
From jail, the wolf attempts to explain away his actions in the classic folktale about the three little pigs. Curricular connection: English--unreliable narrator, retelling a folktale/fairy tale from a different perspective. ( )
  KristineCA | Apr 26, 2016 |
I liked this book for several reasons. The main purpose of this book is to give the readers the wolf's point of view from the original story The Three Little Pigs. One of the main things I enjoyed was that the story allowed the readers to experience and see the characters in a new light. For example, the main character, the wolf, is the "good guy" in the story. He explains to the readers his intentions when knocking on each pigs door, and claims that the houses fell down due to his sneeze! This also adds an element of silliness to the traditional tale, which readers of all ages would enjoy. The illustrations also do a great job of making the reader believe the wolf's side of the story and allows them to compare the story to the traditional tale. The word choice in the story helps add to the humorous effect of the story - for example, the wolf always claims that the pigs were "dead was a door nail" when he got to the houses. These simple word choices help make the story different from the original tale and make it interesting to read. ( )
  ygurova | Apr 22, 2016 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible