The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (original 1989; edition 1996)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:rdchavez
Title:The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1996), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:traditional literature, fiction, Picture Books
Tags:animals, funny, fairy tale, point of view

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (1989)

English (282)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (284)
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
“The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs” as told by Jon Scieszka is a new spin on an old tale. This book is from the point of view of the wolf. “Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story”. The plot is organized in much the same order as “The Three Little Pigs”. It goes sequentially through telling what the wolf believes happened. The illustrations are dark and not traditional drawings of the wolf and the pigs; however, they do fill the pages. I did not care for this book. The writing was not engaging and I felt as though I was just reading excuses. For example, “So of course the minute I knocked on the door, it fell right in”. I think young readers would find some humor in this book, but I think that some traditional literature just need to be left the way it is. The big idea is to tell the Wolf’s side of the story about “The Three Little Pigs”. ( )
  areyno5 | Nov 25, 2014 |
I would love to talk with students about other stories we could write from a different perspective... perhaps they could work with partners to write a new, "true" version of another favorite! ( )
  ekrynen | Nov 23, 2014 |
Summary: This book is told by the wolf's perspective. The wolf starts out the story by saying his name is Al and that the whole big bad wolf thing was wrong. Al claimed that he was making a cake for his grandma and he ran out of sugar, so he went to his neighbors to see if he could borrow some. The first neighbor he went to was the pig who made the straw house. Al said he asked the pig if he was home and then he sneezed (because he was sick) and the whole house fell down! After the house fell down, he noticed the first pig inside it was dead, so naturally he ate it. This happened with the next pig who made his house of wood. Finally, Al went to the last pigs house; this house was made out of brick. The pig told Al to go away and then insulted Al's grandma. Of course Al was furious, so he tried breaking down the pigs door, but he was sick too so he was sneezing at the same time. When the police arrived, they saw him acting in this maniac state, and arrested him.

Review: The moral of this story is to show how different perspectives show different sides of the story. Therefore, don't always believe the first story you here. In this case, most people are already familiar with the traditional tale of the three little pigs. This story is told from the pigs point of view, making the wolf look like the bad person. However, in this story, the wolf believes that everyone has it all wrong. He claims that he was just looking for some sugar to bake his granny a cake. For all the reader knows, that could have been true. The wolf makes valid, believable points. Therefore, it is up to the reader to decide which perspective to believe. It shows the reader that it is important to not always believe the first story that is told, but to hear everyones side of the story. ( )
  jbaile14 | Nov 14, 2014 |
In my opinion, the book, “The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs” is a funny story that I enjoyed reading. A traditional reading, this story is based off of the well-known fable, “The Three Little Pigs.” When I read this story to the little girl I nanny, she giggled the entire time! I loved how the point of view was in the perspective of the “Big Bad Wolf.” The wolf was a hilarious and well-developed character. Being in the wolf’s point-of-view, he was able to defend himself based on why he is neither big nor bad. In addition to this, the language is both expressive and imaginative. The wolf truly felt as though he needed to clear up this story. He did this by expressing his need for a cup of sugar, for his dear old granny’s cake, of course. The language is imaginative because the characters are talking animals and thus the story contains elements that violate natural laws of our world. The big idea of this book is to recreate the old story, explaining what “actually” happened, in a new amusing way. ( )
  Ebutzn1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
In the book The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, the wolf tells his side of the story. He was just baking a cake for his granny and needed a cup of sugar. Unfortunately he had a cold and every time he went to a pig’s house he sneezed and blew it down. He also didn’t believe in wasting food, so he ate the first two pigs that died in these accidents. The last pig insulted his granny and so he lost his temper and when the police came they saw him acting out of control and called he the Big Bad Wolf.
This story I think is so funny. It’s a fun way to show children that sometimes things and people are misunderstood. I remember reading this book in school, and I want to keep reading it to my students one day. Hopefully they will like it as much as I do.
Classroom extensions:
1. After reading the book, have the kids play telephone to see how stories can get changed very easily.
2. For creative writing, have children pick a villain in a different story, and have the children create an explanation for why that villain may have behaved that way.
  CiaraLohman | Oct 22, 2014 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible