The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by…

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (original 1989; edition 1996)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:rdchavez
Title:The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1996), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:traditional literature, fiction, Picture Books
Tags:animals, funny, fairy tale, point of view

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (1989)

English (296)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (298)
The True Story Of The Three Little Pigs is a great book because it opens up the mind of young readers as they begin to use critical thinking skills while they read.I believe that I loved how prior knowledge was in the back of my mind while I read this books and it makes the reader intrigued. It is different and interesting book to read and I loved the detail the author put in the book.
  pbusto1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
Summary:
This story is retold from the perspective of Wolf. He claims that the story everyone knows is all wrong. He wanted to make a cake for his granny and needed a cup of sugar. So he visited his neighbors who happened to be pigs. The wolf also had a cold, so blowing the pigs houses down were accidents. When the media go a hold of the story, they evidently didn't care for the true story. They named him the "Big Bad Wolf" and changed the story to look like he was bad.

Personal Reaction:
I really love this version of the three little pigs. How are we to know that the wolf is even telling the truth? In most stories, wolves are often the bad characters or the antagonists of the story, so it's easy to question if the wolf is telling the truth or not!

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.One student or even teacher can be the"The Big Bad Wolf" and the other students pretend to be reporters and ask questions to get their own opinions if the wolf is telling the truth or not.
2.Students build their own houses to see if it can withstand the wolf's sneeze.
  Megan_Livsey | Feb 11, 2015 |
This book is a retelling of the classic story of the Three Little Pigs that most children have grown up with. In this rendition of the story, we are being told the events of what happened by the Big Bad Wolf known as ‘Al’. In this version of the events, he is being framed for the eating the first two pigs and trying to blow down the house of the third pig. He says that he was, in actuality, looking to borrow a cup of sugar, when he began sneezing which caused the first two houses the two pigs built to collapse, killing the pigs. He rationalizes eating the pigs as not wanting food to go to waste, and at the end of the story it is shown that he is in prison for the crimes he’s committed.

Personally, I enjoyed this retelling of the classic story that we all know from childhood. I believe it is an interesting take that allows the reader the opportunity to choose which course of events they believe to be the truth in the story. I particularly enjoyed the illustrations of the wolf and the use of anthropomorphism. In the classic version of this story, the wolf is large and imposing with fangs and claws, growling and snarling at the pigs. However, in this version the wolf is thin, with glasses, and has no fangs or claws. It portrays the idea that the wolf is trying to make, that he is innocent and incapable of the things he’d been charged with.

Classroom Extension:
1. In the classroom I would set up a mock trial to see who would believe the wolf’s side of the story and who would believe the classic story.
2. We can take a class to discuss the differences between both the classic version of the story and the alternate version of events and see how they are similar.
  GSoto95 | Feb 10, 2015 |
Summary:

"The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" is a very funny yet still traditional children's book. This book describes what happened from the wolfs point of view and he explains how he just needed a cup of sugar. He would go visit his neighbors (the pigs) and whenever he would get there he would sneeze and it would blow the little pigs houses down, but no one would believe him of what really happened.

Personal Reaction:

Being the oldest of 5 children, I have always known that there are different sides to every story, each persons, and then your own. This book tells about that perfectly. And in my house my mother never knows who to believe!

Classroom Extension Ideas:

1. Make the pigs houses using milk cartons, and drawing and cutting what the outside of each house was made of and gluing it on there.
2.Compare and contrast between the wolfs story and the pigs story seeing their differences and their similarities. ( )
  lizzydelg | Feb 10, 2015 |
This story plays off of the original fairytale of The Three Little Pigs. I found it extremely humorous! The author was really creative with his storyline, and the illustrator was also very creative, using different styles of artwork to show the different worlds. ( )
  NatalieCJones | Feb 9, 2015 |
This is a great resource when talking about fractured fairy tales.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pigs. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story.
To Jeri and Molly
Everyone knows the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Hey, it's not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs...If cheeseburgers were cute, folks would probably think you were Big and Bad, too.
The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.
I don't know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it's all wrong

This story has a great lead, so good for teaching how to make a lead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140544518, Paperback)

"There has obviously been some kind of mistake," writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10 years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three little pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor, much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault those ham dinners--rather, pigs--build such flimsy homes? Sheesh.

This 10th-anniversary edition of Jon Scieszka's New York Times Best Book of the Year, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!, includes a special, impassioned letter from prisoner A. Wolf himself and a snappy new jacket by Caldecott Honor artist Lane Smith, whose quirky perspectives still color the illustrations throughout. As with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, the collaborators take a classic story and send it through the wisecracker machine, much to the glee of kids young and old. (Ages 4 to 8 or much, much older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

The wolf gives his own outlandish version of what really happened when he tangled with the three little pigs.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,654,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible