Towelhead: A Novel by Alicia Erian

Towelhead: A Novel (edition 2006)

by Alicia Erian

Member:LesliePoston
Title:Towelhead: A Novel
Authors:Alicia Erian
Info:Simon & Schuster (2006), Paperback, 336 pages

Towelhead by Alicia Erian

English (25)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
I thought this book was written really well and I actually really enjoyed it, but it was hard to read at times. There was a lot of sad content that had me cringing. I kept forgetting it wasn't a memoir and I felt so bad for the author, but remembered it wasn't...thankfully for her! SPOILERS (kind of) I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is sensitive to animals getting hurt (not abuse though) or sexual assault of a child or sexuality of a child. ( )
  thisismelissaanne | Oct 29, 2018 |
This story broke my heart. A young girl whose parents recently went through an ugly divorce, moves to Texas to live with her Lebanese-American dad. It is a story that is raw, intense, and extremely emotional. It makes you think deeply about children, especially tween and young teen girls, and their need for appropriate affection and understanding.

Warning: contains graphic scenes. ( )
  abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
I found this book very difficult to read. ( )
  KarenAJeff | May 14, 2014 |
Towelhead is a stunning first novel from Alicia Erian. Told from the point of view of 13 year oldJasira, we see first hand her struggle to come to grips with a life that has become anything but normal. Read The Rest Of This Review: [http://books.bgwe.org/?p=7] ( )
  LesliePoston | Aug 13, 2013 |
I had a hard time getting through this book. It's painful and honest. But i was encouraged to push through and it was worth it. A very good first novel with an interesting (and sad!) perspective... ( )
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743285123, Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Jasira wants what every girl wants: love and acceptance and the undivided attention of whoever she's with. And if she can¹t get that from her parents, then why not from her mother's boyfriend, or her father's muscle-bound neighbor, Mr. Vuoso? Alicia Erian¹s incandescent debut novel, Towelhead, will ring true for readers who remember the rarely poetic transition from childhood to young adulthood. Jasira is a creature of contradiction: both innocent (reading romantic intentions into the grossest displays of lust) and oddly clear-sighted, especially when it comes to the imbalance of power, and the things we do for love. When her mother exiles her to Houston to live with Jasira's strict, quick-to-anger Lebanese father, she quickly learns what aspects of herself to suppress in front of him. In private, however, she conducts her sexual awakening with all the false confidence that pop culture and her neighbor's Playboy magazines have provided.

Jasira tells her story with candor and glimmers of dark, unexpected humor--as when she describes her mother's boyfriend Barry's assistance in her personal grooming: "A week later, Barry broke down and told her the truth. That he had shaved me himself. That he had been shaving me for weeks. That he couldn't seem to stop shaving me." The freshness of her narrative voice sets Towelhead apart from the sentimental or purely harsh treatment of similar subject matter elsewhere, and makes the novel a promising follow-up to Erian¹s well-regarded short story collection, The Brutal Language of Love. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

"The year is 1991, when Jasira's mother finds out what has been going on between her boyfriend and her thirteen-year-old daughter, she has to make a choice - and she chooses to send Jasira off to Houston, Texas, to live with her father. A remote disciplinarian prone to explosive rages, Jasira's father is unable to show his daughter the love she craves - and far less able to handle her feelings about her changing body." "Bewildered by extremes of parental scrutiny and neglect, Jasira begins to look elsewhere for affection. Saddam Hussein has invaded Kuwait, and high school has become a lonely place for a "towelhead." When her father meets, and forbids her to see, her boyfriend, it becomes lonelier still. But there is always Mr. Vuoso - a neighboring army reservist whose son Jasira babysits. Mr. Vuoso, as Jasira discovers, has an extensive collection of Playboy magazines. And he doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with Jasira's body at all." "The story of a girl failed by her parents and by a conflicted America, Towelhead is an ultimately redemptive and moving work that none of us can afford to ignore."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,489,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible