Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

Goliath

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Leviathan Trilogy (3)

English (83)  Japanese (1)  German (1)  All languages (85)
Goliath is the final book in Westerfeld’s steampunk Leviathan trilogy. The entire trilogy was a fun, mostly light adventure story with likeable characters and a good dose of humor. This series worked very well for me as reading material while traveling for a business conference. I was very tired for most of the week due to a not-ideal travel schedule combined with a time zone change, and this was entertaining without being too demanding.

I was pretty satisfied with how the story was wrapped up. I did think it had a little less of the fun adventure that the previous two books were chock full of, becoming a little more introspective. It didn’t hold my interest quite as consistently as the previous two, but I still enjoyed it. I’m going to give this one 3.5 stars and round up to 4 on Goodreads.

I have some spoilery comments for the spoiler tags…
I was glad that Deryn’s gender reveal happened fairly early in this book so that there was time for Alek’s reaction and adjustment to play out more realistically versus everything feeling too rushed at the end. On the other hand, that did ramp up the angst a notch and the period of conflict that created reduced the camaraderie between them for a while which was a large part of what I had enjoyed in the previous two books and I think led to this book feeling slower to me. I enjoyed their friendship and their teasing insults, and I didn’t exactly dislike their romance, but I wasn’t as invested in it. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | May 25, 2019 |
Very pleasant read and a good end to the series. I was afraid how the author will handle the romantic subplot (the tagline on my copy sounded like something from a bad YA romance) but it turned out OK. It didn't have the monumental overblown finale some series have, but personally I'm getting tired of those and they can end in a train-wreck pretty easily.
So, yeah, it's a good book. The series as a whole feels original and memorable, and can stand re-reading. As I haven't read many steampunk novels, I can't say how actually original it is, but it works and I'd recomend this to any general fantasy fan. ( )
  annathecrow | Feb 14, 2019 |
Goliath was a satisfying conclusion to the fantasy alternate timeline trilogy which features two teenagers taking a role in trying to head off World War 1 between the machine-loving Clankers and bioengineering Darwinists (aka the Germans and British and their allies). Deryn, who poses as a boy (Dylan) to serve as a midshipman on the giant British biological airship, carries out numerous feats of heroism on her beloved airship, as it wends its way around the world from Istanbul. Alek, the son of the assassinated Serbian archduke, draws his friend,Dylan, into his ambitions to support the scientist Tesla in forcing an end to the war through the threat of a powerful death ray weapon. Alex discovers that Dylan is a girl,Deryn and that perhaps a potential throne in Austria isn't what he wants in his future.
I enjoyed this audio book, Goliath and would certainly recommend the entire series.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Mar 9, 2017 |
What started as an exceptionally promising series, quickly proved to be a trudging slog in the second novel and confirmed itself as irredeemable in the third. The mystery and political intrigue of the first novel gives way to journalistic BS and happily ever after nonsense in this one. It draws on tired tropes ("Oh my god, why didn't you trust ME with your extreme secret that could have easily gotten you killed even if *I* wasn't the squealer??? Now I must hate you forever!") and just never reaches the satisfaction I got from reading the first novel in the series. I honestly couldn't bring myself to *care* how this finished, I'm just an insufferable completionist. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jul 30, 2016 |
This is book 2 of a trilogy. It has the same great characters and adds a few new ones. This book got really exciting toward the end and I can't wait to get number 3 and finish this series. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, KeithIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sammy Yuen, Jr.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To everyone who loves a long-secret romance, revealed at last.
"Siberia," Alek said. The word slipped cold and hard from his tongue, as forbidding as the landscape passing below.

Alek and Deryn encounter obstacles on the last leg of their round-the-world quest to end World War I, reclaim Alek's throne as prince of Austria, and finally fall in love.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,889,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible