Goliath by Scott Westerfield

Title:Goliath
Authors:Scott Westerfield
Info:Simon & Schuster Canada (2011), Hardcover, 560 pages
Collections:Public Library, Read 2012, Completed, Read but unowned
Tags:YA, steampunk, last in series, WWII, New York, United States, Siberia, Germany, alliances, war, machines, beasties, creatures, heir, Tesla, weapon, romance, love, disguise, truth identity, lies, honesty, friendship, allies

Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

English (79)  Japanese (1)  German (1)  All languages (81)
This is book 2 of a trilogy. It has the same great characters and adds a few new ones. This book got really exciting toward the end and I can't wait to get number 3 and finish this series. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Alek and Deryn encounter obstacles on the last leg of their round-the-world quest to end World War I, reclaim Alek's throne as prince of Austria, and finally fall in love.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
It's been so long since I read the first two books of the series, so I probably lost a lot of the continuity. But nevertheless, I really liked the book.

Deryn and Alek are both super cool, as is the world Westerfeld has created. I'm normally not a fan of alternate histories, but he pulls it off well.

There are several things that still bother me, however. There was a lot of hinting at the lorises, suggestions that there might be a lot more to them than everyone thought. But nothing really came of it. I don't know what I was expecting, which was part of why I enjoyed the mystery so much. I love Bovril, he's probably my favorite character. And while they are certainly central to the story, not much ended up being done with the lorises in general. And since this is the last book in the series, not much ever will be.

This makes me very sad.

But as a whole, I really enjoyed it. Would recommend. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Oct 23, 2015 |
Romance and steampunk is what I’m assuming go hand in hand in most works of fiction, and although I always tend to hope that science fiction novels stay as far away from romantic sub-plots as possible, I found myself looking for the opposite in this instance.

This series in its entirety has received relatively great reviews, but one of my most trusted book recommenders found she didn’t enjoy the trilogy as much as many others have. This may have influenced my take from Goliath as I found myself a bit bored with the plot and the “shocking” revelations.

I found myself firstly disappointed that the loris did not have any major political turning points because, throughout the series, I was led to believe they would play a major role. The book didn’t hold any funny aspects as the predecessors had and many characters held no meaning as they had in previous books. Volger, for example, did not have any repercussions about the final decision Alek made in the book; I don’t believe that one bit! I found myself skim reading the last bits of the book when I pretty much predicted all the happenings.

The story itself seemed like it had such great potential, travelling to Japan and Siberia and America with a madman while Alek and Deryn fight political instabilities alongside the rest of the Leviathan crew. At the end of it all, I’m not sure if I can get behind the fact that the privileged Prince Aleksander, who has always cared so much for Austria, basically threw away all his responsibilities.

One of the greater aspects was the first half when Deryn deals with the consequences of being found out from different people. I admire her for thinking far ahead with all her options and not letting her developing feelings take charge of her decisions.

So the book started off quite promising but lost me when characters started doing things they probably wouldn’t have done and the writing became too descriptive which is when I lost interest. I still think the drawings were perfect and a great aid to the storytelling, no doubt. ( )
  bubblyair | May 10, 2015 |
Continues in the same vein as the others, enjoyable. There is a nice afterward by the author, describing the actual events of the time. ( )
  themulhern | May 8, 2015 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sammy Yuen, Jr.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To everyone who loves a long-secret romance, revealed at last.
"Siberia," Alek said. The word slipped cold and hard from his tongue, as forbidding as the landscape passing below.

213 wanted3 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,256,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible