Goliath by Scott Westerfield

Title:Goliath
Authors:Scott Westerfield
Info:Simon & Schuster Canada (2011), Hardcover, 560 pages
Collections:Public Library, Read 2012, Completed, Read but unowned
Tags:YA, steampunk, last in series, WWII, New York, United States, Siberia, Germany, alliances, war, machines, beasties, creatures, heir, Tesla, weapon, romance, love, disguise, truth identity, lies, honesty, friendship, allies

Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

English (81)  Japanese (1)  German (1)  All languages (83)
What started as an exceptionally promising series, quickly proved to be a trudging slog in the second novel and confirmed itself as irredeemable in the third. The mystery and political intrigue of the first novel gives way to journalistic BS and happily ever after nonsense in this one. It draws on tired tropes ("Oh my god, why didn't you trust ME with your extreme secret that could have easily gotten you killed even if *I* wasn't the squealer??? Now I must hate you forever!") and just never reaches the satisfaction I got from reading the first novel in the series. I honestly couldn't bring myself to *care* how this finished, I'm just an insufferable completionist. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jul 30, 2016 |
This is book 2 of a trilogy. It has the same great characters and adds a few new ones. This book got really exciting toward the end and I can't wait to get number 3 and finish this series. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Last of trilogy that began with Leviathan. A steampunk alternative history of World War I, Alex discovers that his best friend, midshipman Dylan Sharp, is really a girl. Amid this revelation comes the scientist Nikolai Tesla and his purported weapon of mass destruction, Goliath, capable of destroying an entire city. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
Alek and Deryn encounter obstacles on the last leg of their round-the-world quest to end World War I, reclaim Alek's throne as prince of Austria, and finally fall in love.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
It's been so long since I read the first two books of the series, so I probably lost a lot of the continuity. But nevertheless, I really liked the book.

Deryn and Alek are both super cool, as is the world Westerfeld has created. I'm normally not a fan of alternate histories, but he pulls it off well.

There are several things that still bother me, however. There was a lot of hinting at the lorises, suggestions that there might be a lot more to them than everyone thought. But nothing really came of it. I don't know what I was expecting, which was part of why I enjoyed the mystery so much. I love Bovril, he's probably my favorite character. And while they are certainly central to the story, not much ended up being done with the lorises in general. And since this is the last book in the series, not much ever will be.

This makes me very sad.

But as a whole, I really enjoyed it. Would recommend. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Oct 23, 2015 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sammy Yuen, Jr.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To everyone who loves a long-secret romance, revealed at last.
"Siberia," Alek said. The word slipped cold and hard from his tongue, as forbidding as the landscape passing below.

192 wanted3 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,229,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible